Irish Rovers

Free Member
Feb 10, 2021
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 597
Guys,

Sorry if this is a stupid question but its our first time motor homing and very keen on getting going (Northern Ireland is still in lockdown).

When we do get out there, what do most people do for booking pitches? Do you prefer to use private enterprises, or do more people use one or both of the main caravanning and camping club websites for access to their associated sites? Would there be a preference?

Anyone local to Northern Ireland or Ireland had any experience local to here?

Thanks in advance

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I think joining one of the clubs gives you more choice plus you have the CL system which we tend to use more than their main sites, also for someone who will use a ferry quite often joining the CMC would be a good idea. As a member of the club you can get discounts on various ferry crossings, we've saved our membership money each year on ferry crossings so well worth joining.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2020
Uranus
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Whilst being a member of both the main clubs, we use the site that tends to meet our requirements, be it club or otherwise. So, I'd guess that 60-70% are through 'private' (commercial) sites and the other 30-40% through one of the clubs. However, that's only in mainland UK, in France we only travel during off-season and never book. On our only trip to Ireland in a van we pre-booked with only commercial sites; not too sure if pre-booking in the Free State was actually necessary - regardless it was thoroughly enjoyable, Top and Bottom.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 23, 2020
County Down, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8096df 2022
Exp
Since 2020(!)
We're new to motor homing too and have only had 3 trips before lockdown. Just stayed on sites that I've booked online.

Upvote 0

jako999

Free Member
Mar 21, 2021
Halesowen
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff
Exp
Being members will give you a massive scope of site plus all the rallies you also get other discounts you soon get your money back

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
We're new to motor homing too and have only had 3 trips before lockdown. Just stayed on sites that I've booked online.
As you gain experience get a bit more adventurous, you will find that in Europe many people never book and you find places that are interesting overlooked by the average tourist books. Lots of towns and village sin Germany, for instance, are very attractive places with lots of old buildings worth looking at (although many towns and villages have rebuilt since WW2 as exact replicas)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
The two main clubs are not well represented in Northern Ireland.
Have a look at their web sites before you sign up.
Normally we don't book ahead but this year we have as everywhere is expected to be very busy.
For example - Ballyness in Bushmills is now full booked every weekend until Sept.
It is difficult to advise as we like small quiet sites but if you have children you may want somewhere a bit more lively.
There are also a number of popular wild camping locations but I would expect these to be busy too.
It is going to be a crazy May Bank Holiday when we are all let out on the 30th!!!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back