LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Think I read somewhere that a caravan club research found that towing reduced the MPG by 27 % all things being equal, ie using an Average mid sized caravan.

Therefore if, you were able to achieve 40 mpg solo 29.2 mpg would be achieved towing.

Therefore your exceedingly thrashed Passatt ( great tow car btw) would return 33mpg....

The above has to many permiables to be taking seriously of course, after all it was in the CC magazine some years ago.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I am sorry Jim, but i cannot believe that you could regularly achieve 40 mpg towing a caravan with a diesel.

Until, of course, someone proves me wrong.

Craig

no problem..

likewise.. I don't believe those who say they get 20mpg with LPG RVs .. :roflmto:

A diesel car that does well over 40 solo won't drop more than 5 -8 mpg with a med sized van.. .. and bear in mind.. unlike a motorhome, a car, once unhitched it goes back to it's normal MPG .. so on aggregate, it will be over 40..

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
My Vectra diesel did about 30-33mpg towing cdti 1.9 150bhp if you trod on eggshells maybe over 50 on a run solo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
My Vectra diesel did about 30-33mpg [HI]towing cdti[/HI] 1.9 150bhp if you trod on eggshells maybe over 50 on a run solo

lower than I would have thought.. how heavy was the van .. ?

but, as I mentioned.. your aggregate on a trip would be more like 40

capinpugwash

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2005 (20 years Caravan before that)
Does it have to be either/or?

For example what about a compromise on the caravan and a compromise on a motorhome/campervan, and tow the caravan with the camper.

You could then site the caravan for a long stay and perhaps do days/nights away in the camper to save moving the caravan.

May sound a daft idea, but so did lots of things at first :Smile:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Dam caravans they should be banned:ROFLMAO:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Quite right,My wife and i have just purchased a motorhome and after reading alot of posts by other motor homers and caravaners posts it got me wondering had we got the right layout.After scratching my head and having gone around in circles it brought me back to thinking we have got the right combination for us at this time.I hope this makes sense to you as im not sure it does me. He he he :Eeek:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Campers/MHs are self-contained, important to us as wife is disabled.

Can move 'off site' in minutes - only hook-up to put away.

Some sites will not allow vans towing caravans.

You cannot use Aires with a caravan.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Campers/MHs are self-contained,[HI] important to us as wife is disabled.[/HI]

Can move 'off site' in minutes - only hook-up to put away.

Some sites will not allow vans towing caravans.

You cannot use Aires with a caravan.

yes.. that is all accepted... not under debate.. the thread is about using the tool that is best for the job.. not whether one is better that the other .. there is no 'better' just what suits

your best tool is a motorhome.. :thumb:

Last edited:

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Got to agree, we have had a European motorhome, first van we ever bought. We then got a rv, then a fifth wheel we now have a twin axle caravan. They all have been right for us at the time, only doubt is the first one as we only had it for 8 months, But saying that, it got us into this lifestyle so it must have been. ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

What will we get next, :Eeek::Eeek: who knows, the caravan suites what we are doing now perfectly. :Cool::Cool:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Must admit it has been passing through our minds too M/Home or Caravan?

We have, at one point on our drive an inch either side, that is with one mirror pulled in and making allowance for the Wind out awning,( Mrs R does a brilliant job:thumb: )

Any way we have now decided on an Auto Sleeper cause they are about (???) only just (???) under 7 feet wide(???)

On going :thumb:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I had a VW Bora, 1.9 TDI 130bhp, I towed a Coachman Pastiche 1400kgs to the Vandee and back 38mpg, filled up at Calais on the way home (this is when diesel was half the price of Uk) and this got me all the way home, it was well worth going into France them days, not much benefit now, (they get shit weather in France also):Doh:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Yes it does.

I loved our caravan.

If I were in some funsters position and long terming, I would have a caravan and a small panel van to tow it. I could then tow it to somewhere and live in the caravan for a few months whilst exploring the area in the panel van.

That is the way I am thinking of going. Towing a caravan behind my PVC is doable. The only thing making me second guess the plan is the caravan is likely to be in the wrong part of the country when I need it... It will be a bit of a drag having to organise storage near where I need it or it will be expensive leaving it on campsites when not in use...

Currently the only time I could actually really use on is in winters when I tend not to drive around so much...

It is an idea though. I have met a couple of fulltimers who do this.
I think pikeypete is doing this already?

blamehofman

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Last year spent a lot of time in Scotland walking the Munro's and found the motorhome a bit of a hindrance , great for traveling up there but once established on site the problem arose of reaching the start point of the walk . I was able to use a pushbike but hiding it and depending on it for my return was not ideal . A car would have been so much easier.

So for this year I have been looking at caravans and apart from the towing aspect I feel as Jim say's it could be the tool which suits my needs best . But and its a very big one I love the van and the ease of use .... Major dilemma time .

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
Yep one of each would suit us just fine we keep flitting betwixt caravan and motorhome but just at present the motorhome suits our needs best.

We just wish that the caravans would move away from the uncomfortable bench seat arrangement and put some captains seats in.

An American caravan would solve that problem. :Smile:

Gill

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
An American caravan would solve that problem. :Smile:

Gill

Without wishing to sound as though 'mine is best'. I agree with this.
I have changed from an A class Winnebago, which I loved, to an American fifth wheel combo.
Compared to the Winnebago, there is more inside space, due to a larger slide out, it has a comfortable sofa/hide a bed, opposite 2 sumptuous leather 'captains' swivel recliners, that can be moved around just like at home, and a much larger rear kitchen. Still retaining the separate king sized bed-room, shower, wash basin, and WC up front.
The decision to change was personal, and family reasons. If things hadn't gone the way they have, I think we would still be with the A class, but that is bye the bye.
At 31ft the trailer isn't small, but when towing it is no longer than a car/caravan combo,, because of the coupling. We also have the convenience of a comfortable 6 seater truck when the trailer is sited.
I or should I say we, have made the right decision for us at this time.
Who knows what the future holds? Enjoy what you have, and have what you enjoy!

Craig

ValinFrance

Free Member
Nov 1, 2011
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
For us, we didn't fancy towing, so opted for a motorhome, and here in France its much more geared up for MH when using the aires.

We have something compact enough to park in most places we visit....

SoapyTutti

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
"I'm a newbie"
Motorhome with A Frame Car

We are looking forward to touring Europe in our motorhome with a little Fiat 500 in tow so watch this space for reports:Cool::Smile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Totally agree with the OP. It depends on what you are going to use your choice of vehicle for. If on the one hand you are using exclusively sites why bother with a motorhome in the first place. A dry caravan would be far more suitable such as travellers use. What is the point of taking up valuable living/storage space with a sink/toilet and shower when you have all these facilities on your campsite. The modern motorhome is built to travel and in its very name in France its known as the camping car. Which is what it was originally designed for, travel and camping.
If I decided not to tour again then I would return to a trailer and tow it down to Spain and sit on a campsite in Benidorm for 6 months and then tow it back again. Possibly try a fiver instead of my Lord Munsterland.
At the present moment in time I have my mororhome which I can jump in and go within half an hour notice and if I fancy a few days fishing I can hook the boat behind and have the luxury of a hot shower and comforts of home after a day on the sea.
If I fancy a days off roading or blasting along a beach I can hook the sand rail behind and be gone in minutes returning to the same home comforts at night.
Its all horses for courses but am happy to say that at this moment in time I still have the wanderlust so will stay with my camper.
Having said that I have been looking at log cabins recently but cant find a lakeside plot, so if anyone knows one !!!

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Jim's point is valid

With so many people with so many different forms of 'mobile accommodation' on here I think 'best for purpose' is probably the one thing we shall all agree on :Smile:

For me personally, having had caravans and tents before I am now choosing a campervan. But even that means different things to different people. Most people think 'VW' when you say campervan, and something like a Winnebago when you say motorhome. I wanted a complete and self contained vehicle with full facilities such as cooking, heating, washroom and toilet without the 'penalty' of being too big in the wrong place :)Eek!:).

So for me 6m x 2m panel van conversion fits the bill perfectly. I want to be able to travel far and wide, easily and without hindrance, stop for a day or few then move on. If I had a caravan I would always have to return to the site to hook the caravan back on. If I had a bigger motorhome there are many places that will difficult for me to go.

The one thing I really don't understand (hard hat on) is why bother to have a big motor home with a small car in tow? :Eeek: Why not have a car towing a caravan? surely MUCH more comfortable and cheaper all round :Cool:

:thumb:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Here is an odd thing...

My heart and head won't agree ...

I still find myself looking at camper vans, clicking on Terry's links .. and thinking about how I would love one again.. my heart is with the camper van...

Then my head takes over .. I go over all the the pros and cons of each and the caravan wins.. So I talk myself into buying a camper.. I recall all the great times we had with campers .. life on the open road, singing 'On The Road Again' .. :roflmto:
Then we discuss it yet AGAIN.. for the hundredth time .....and the caravan wins.. :Doh:

Once again the practical head beats the romantic heart :Sad:

So, as I said in the first post, if money and space to store were no object I'd have both.. that's not likely .. so I guess that it why I started this thread.. trying to convince my heart that the caravan is better... (for us at the present time) but you lot are not helping ...

HELP .. is there a cure..

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Here is an odd thing...

My heart and head won't agree ...

I still find myself looking at camper vans, clicking on Terry's links .. and thinking about how I would love one again.. my heart is with the camper van...

Then my head takes over .. I go over all the the pros and cons of each and the caravan wins.. So I talk myself into buying a camper.. I recall all the great times we had with campers .. life on the open road, singing 'On The Road Again' .. :roflmto:
Then we discuss it yet AGAIN.. for the hundredth time .....and the caravan wins.. :Doh:

Once again the practical head beats the romantic heart :Sad:

So, as I said in the first post, if money and space to store were no object I'd have both.. that's not likely .. so I guess that it why I started this thread.. trying to convince my heart that the caravan is better... but you lot are not helping ...

HELP .. is there a cure..

Sorry Jim but you are doing it all wrong....The questions you should be asking yourself are what are you going to use it for and where are you going to travel with it. The answers will be easier then. Best of luck, as you are going to need it :thumb:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Sorry Jim but you are doing it all wrong....The questions you should be asking yourself are what are you going to use it for and where are you going to travel with it. The answers will be easier then. Best of luck, as you are going to need it :thumb:

do it all the time Dave.. and still get the 'wrong' answer.. :cry:

as I said in the OP .. the caravan is the most practical for our needs.. I just can't get my heart to agree.. and it doesn't help reading and writing on Fun every day..
Maybe I need to find a tugger's forum :Eeek:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Go with the heart every time............you have to love something to stay with it :Cool:

yes I agree.. but I don't hate away in the caravan.. far from it, in fact I love it.. I love having a car to go and explore, not having to de-camp to go out for a pint of milk.. I love the space the van + awning give.. I love not having to pay VED and MOT every year.. so many pluses..

It also doubles up as a spare room when my son and family come to visit .. so it does get a fair amount of use..

If I had space to store and work on a camper I'd probably have one tomorrow.. and keep the caravan..

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
With so many people with so many different forms of 'mobile accommodation' on here I think 'best for purpose' is probably the one thing we shall all agree on :Smile:

For me personally, having had caravans and tents before I am now choosing a campervan. But even that means different things to different people. Most people think 'VW' when you say campervan, and something like a Winnebago when you say motorhome. I wanted a complete and self contained vehicle with full facilities such as cooking, heating, washroom and toilet without the 'penalty' of being too big in the wrong place :)Eek!:).

So for me 6m x 2m panel van conversion fits the bill perfectly. I want to be able to travel far and wide, easily and without hindrance, stop for a day or few then move on. If I had a caravan I would always have to return to the site to hook the caravan back on. If I had a bigger motorhome there are many places that will difficult for me to go.

The one thing I really don't understand (hard hat on) is why bother to have a big motor home with a small car in tow? :Eeek: Why not have a car towing a caravan? surely MUCH more comfortable and cheaper all round :Cool:

:thumb:

If anyone has never driven a large MH/RV, it's something else.
Driving a US RV say, is akin to steering a magic carpet from your favourite armchair! Pure luxury! An experience that is not quite the same as a car.
I went in between A class RV, and car caravan, with a fiver. Just as much space, and luxuries in the trailer, but, although comfortable, driving is not the same in a tow vehicle.
My brother has a Winnebago Journey, diesel pusher on air suspension, and the ride in that is best described as 'floating in silence'.
A car towing a caravan would not be MUCH more comfortable in my opinion.
You know when you are towing a caravan, or 5th wheel trailer, you wouldn't know anything towing a small car/trailer with a large MH/RV.

Craig

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Just following on from my post on Terry's thread.. got me thinking about the future and what we would have..

At present the caravan suits us just fine.. as we can really only go away during school holidays .. the caravan is great for two or three week stops on a site for a holiday.. Chaz has had enough long trips and touring..

Then I think ahead.. when she is gone we will have all the time in the world.. maybe do three months away in the winter.. but would we want a camper.. or a caravan ?

Well, there is no doubt once you are set up on site the caravan + car wins hands down.. not so good for touring.. but still doable.. it was in the past when we toured with a big twin axle van and Disco..
I envisage spending more time in one place rather than gallivanting all over Europe.. perhaps 3 or 4 weeks on each location.. so the caravan is better suited..

Long haul overland .. defo a camper van is better.. but taking a caravan to Morocco is still doable .. saw plenty when we there.. that is still on the cards.

The point is this.. if you enjoy what you have and enjoy using it .. fine.. there should be no argument about what is better. Better has to be qualified.. no vehicle does it all.. and none are better than the other.. only what suits your needs at present.. be it a camper, motorhome, caravan, RV or 5er .. each has their benefits and drawbacks.. there is no 'one size fits all' .. we change and so do our needs..

If money were no object :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I'd probably have a full set of each.. :roflmto:

Back to your original post then Jim:Smile: you have established that you think the car and caravan is the better option for you :thumb: but is it ?
IMO it all comes down to layout :Smile:You can get a simular layout in a small ish PVC as a smaller ish caravan :thumb: just depends on how much perceived room you need. ::bigsmile:--for us it's somewhere comfy to both sleep and lounge, cooking, shower and loo -- ::bigsmile:The smaller PVC can get anywhere a car can :thumb: doing away with the need for 2 vehicle's i.e. caravan and car.Back to mpg the van will return as much as the car :winky:::bigsmile:
Terry

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Liz & I kick this around now and again
Having been a tugger for 30+ years we now find the moho more suited to our travels which are much more into getting about
When we had the ankle biters coming with us we loved the caravan.

We used to thash off down to the south of France park up for 2 weeks then thrash home and arrive home nackered:Eeek:

Now there are just the two of us and having much more flexable time the moho much more user friendly, being able to move around.
Using a moho is a totaly different expriance from a caravan and took some getting used to at first. At first we carried far too much kit but now we seem to have it about right. The less kit you carry the easier it is

So, if you want the freedom to get about more and don,t have the ankle biters with you (I miss them a lot) go for a moho

But then look at all the Dutch people you see all over europe with there little caravans ???:Doh: Doh !!
Here we go again !
Happy Touring Daze
Chrisboyo

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Back to your original post then Jim:Smile: you have established that you think the car and caravan is the better option for you :thumb: but is it ?
IMO it all comes down to layout :Smile:You can get a simular layout in a small ish PVC as a smaller ish caravan :thumb: just depends on how much perceived room you need. ::bigsmile:--for us it's somewhere comfy to both sleep and lounge, cooking, shower and loo -- ::bigsmile:The smaller PVC can get anywhere a car can :thumb: doing away with the need for 2 vehicle's i.e. caravan and car.Back to mpg the van will return as much as the car :winky:::bigsmile:
Terry

It all comes down to money Terry.. If we could afford a fairly modern and economical camper that would double up as daily transport AND be as comfortable as the Honda.. I would be looking now.. all the ones we like are out of our budget..

I like the Jap Hi Ace camper conversions.. that would fit the bill, and would use it with a tent as a base camp for longer stays.. but a decent one is around 10k .. even trading in the car + caravan wouldn't come close to that.. plus, as I mentioned, we use the caravan as a spare room.. and it takes up all the free space.

but.. in no hurry, once Chaz flees the nest anything is possible.. :Smile:

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Jim, face the raw facts man :RollEyes:

YER DOOMED :winky:

::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!