Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Just renewed! Very competitive MH Insurance this year, Mayday breakdown is excellent and covers the MH and 2 cars, definitely the best sites and facilities, friendly staff (on the sites that is. Head Office can be a bit arrogant), I can relax with Red Pennant cover when going abroad (364 days a year now.........the available cover, not me!). Less sure about renewing C&CC next year as we no longer have their insurance and they're simply not as good.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Just renewed! Very competitive MH Insurance this year, Mayday breakdown is excellent and covers the MH and 2 cars, definitely the best sites and facilities, friendly staff (on the sites that is. Head Office can be a bit arrogant), I can relax with Red Pennant cover when going abroad (364 days a year now.........the available cover, not me!). Less sure about renewing C&CC next year as we no longer have their insurance and they're simply not as good.
Strange that as I found the C&CC cheaper than CMC on both car and van insurance it must depend on where you live I suppose.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Strange that as I found the C&CC cheaper than CMC on both car and van insurance it must depend on where you live I suppose.

It's impossible to fathom insurance quotes! You can't compare between people, as you say it can be a matter of where you live, who you are, your driving record, whether there's an 'R' in the month, phases of the moon etc. Nothing had changed from last year and I'm an Advanced Driver. Maybe it was an age thing as I have crossed a line, certainly the C&CC quote was a huge increase. C&MC had been more expensive in previous years, but ended up cheaper that C&CC for 2017.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
It's impossible to fathom insurance quotes! You can't compare between people, as you say it can be a matter of where you live, who you are, your driving record, whether there's an 'R' in the month, phases of the moon etc. Nothing had changed from last year and I'm an Advanced Driver. Maybe it was an age thing as I have crossed a line, certainly the C&CC quote was a huge increase. C&MC had been more expensive in previous years, but ended up cheaper that C&CC for 2017.
Simple explanation;-
C&CC use Lancelot and set of balls 5
C&MC use Chimps with infinite type writers

Safeguard quoted me £670 last year against Comfort's £288 !!
Then Safeguard rang me back 2 days later and asked would I buy it from them if they matched my other quote !

I sore at him - my bad

colleen murphy

Free Member
Jun 29, 2017
shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Celtic Rambler 5th Wheel
Exp
2 years
Since the last post on C&MC and the proposed price increase it would be interesting to know how many funsters are not going to renew their membership this year. Mine is not due until August so at the moment I am undecided.
Spongy

Our membership was up for renewal for both C&MC and C&CC in August and we decided not to go ahead. Pitch prices ridiculously expensive now so try to find privately owned campsite now when travelling in England. ACSI still the best for travelling abroad.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
The main benefit is the discount on the M6 Tolll, and they are stopping that at the end of this year

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
The main benefit is the discount on the M6 Tolll, and they are stopping that at the end of this year
anyone know when exactly?, we will probably be using The M6 Toll either side of new year, sods law that it will end on new years eve.
Thanks.
Les

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
anyone know when exactly?, we will probably be using The M6 Toll either side of new year, sods law that it will end on new years eve.
Thanks.
Les
It does.

From C&MC website - "Please note: Following a lengthy review the M6toll Senior Management Team have decided to withdraw the Caravan and Motorhome Club member offer from 31 December 2018. "

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I originally left because of their no deposit booking. Sites booked solid months in advance by people who have no intention of turning up. On more than one occasion got the 'last' pitch to find the site half empty.
Those were the days when I was tugging for a spell, with motorhome don't tour in UK.

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Will be renewing for CLs and insurance for van .
Also keep contemplating in trying to promote a motorhome pressure group within the club. Seems more members are motorhomes so the club is duty bound to promote our interests. However we have to have a clear voice so they can act on our views.
Funnily enough all feels like too much hard work

Oct 24, 2011
shropshire
Funster No
MH
a class I think
Exp
10 months
I agree with Really retired. Tried to book C&MC site in Edinburgh for August only to find it booked solid. That was in November 10 months before. Found a private site booked with no problem. I will use their sites only when necessary.:p

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
I originally left because of their no deposit booking. Sites booked solid months in advance by people who have no intention of turning up. On more than one occasion got the 'last' pitch to find the site half empty.
Those were the days when I was tugging for a spell, with motorhome don't tour in UK.

That was also one of the reasons we left the club . I just dont understand why they carry on with this system of booking , via having that open day rush every november or december for essentially , multi booking for the next year . It clearly is open to abuse by the more selfish individuals .

D

Deleted member

Deleted User
That was also one of the reasons we left the club . I just dont understand why they carry on with this system of booking , via having that open day rush every november or december for essentially , multi booking for the next year . It clearly is open to abuse by the more selfish individuals .

I raised this with them some time ago. I got a warning letter because I’d cancelled a few bookings with less than 72hrs warning. Not my usual way of doing things, but the downside of a high maintenance elderly mother going through a difficult phase and me trying to get on with my life. I felt bad about the late cancellations and suggested that if they took deposits and/or charged people for late cancellations or no shows, then I’d feel better about it - my decision to book, my risk. However, they weren’t persuaded on the basis that it was too expensive to administer.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
However, they weren’t persuaded on the basis that it was too expensive to administer.
I very much doubt that they reached that decision following a full analysis, otherwise why would private sites and the other club do it. Sure there would be some administrative costs but in return their sites might be fuller and the few lost deposits would contribute to the costs. Oh, and they might win back some serious business from people who are prepared to live with their decisions and pay the penalty if they can’t.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
From reading the C&MC magazine (yes I am a sad bunny) there are complaints in the letters section by tuggers who accuse the MH members of filling up sites with bookings for short stays especially weekends. Apparently this makes it difficult for tuggers to book a pitch for 7 or more consecutive nights on a preferred site.

We tend to avoid the weekends and find it relatively easy to book (say) Monday to Thursday. We prefer the limited number of sites that are more MH friendly and make it easy to get into towns and villages, and that is perhaps where the booking battleground with tuggers is concentrated. As far as we are concerned the tuggers can have the majority of C&MC "caravanny" sites that are miles from civilisation exclusively to themselves. If we had a caravan we would probably stay on those rural sites. Horses for courses.

Their no-deposit booking system and pay in full on arrival suits us. The 72 hour minimum cancellation period also seems reasonable. Although if we get an emergency call about Duxette's elderly mum and we need to leave site suddenly on a rescue mission, we would forfeit the rest of the pitch fee we paid.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
From reading the C&MC magazine (yes I am a sad bunny) there are complaints in the letters section by tuggers who accuse the MH members of filling up sites with bookings for short stays especially weekends. Apparently this makes it difficult for tuggers to book a pitch for 7 or more consecutive nights on a preferred site.

There was me thinking they were called touring caravans. We tow a car and think nothing of hitching it up again after a day or two. Perhaps the problem mostly affects the type of caravanner who chooses to erect a massive awning and then builds a small village around it.

I can understand those with small children not wanting to move on frequently but for the rest it is just a matter of choice and like everyone else you have to fit in around existing bookings. I would argue that a deposit scheme would also alleviate their difficulties by keeping the speculators out of the booking system. The world changes and short breaks are now part of many people’s lifestyles, I don’t see that changing and possibly it is their long term UK encampments that are getting less popular.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
There was me thinking they were called touring caravans. We tow a car and think nothing of hitching it up again after a day or two. Perhaps the problem mostly affects the type of caravanner who chooses to erect a massive awning and then builds a small village around it.

I can understand those with small children not wanting to move on frequently but for the rest it is just a matter of choice and like everyone else you have to fit in around existing bookings. I would argue that a deposit scheme would also alleviate their difficulties by keeping the speculators out of the booking system. The world changes and short breaks are now part of many people’s lifestyles, I don’t see that changing and possibly it is their long term UK encampments that are getting less popular.

To be fair some MHers also erect highly elaborate encampments that are still there when we decamp. And there are hardy trailer tenters who spend hours setting up in the pouring rain just for one night's stay, fair play to them. It takes all sorts, bless them.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

we also book up for 7 or more nights with a caravan.. no 'village' buildings, and kids all grown up ..

have also seen plenty of motorhomes with awnings, and cars in tow.. why, when a motorhome is best for touring, surely a a caravan would be more suitable. ?

each to their own..

Last edited:
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
To be fair some MHers also erect highly elaborate encampments that are still there when we decamp. And there are hardy trailer tenters who spend hours setting up in the pouring rain just for one night's stay, fair play to them. It takes all sorts, bless them.
Fair comment but it does not appear to be them that are complaining about motorhomers. If some tuggers want to moan about us then I do not feel constrained from pointing out what I see as weaknesses in their arguments.

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now

Don't forget that members can save up to 8p per litre on fuel at ANY Esso filling station in the UK - including those on motorways where the saving could be even greater. You do need to register for an Esso fuel card.

Dave

D

Deleted member

Deleted User
Don't forget that members can save up to 8p per litre on fuel at ANY Esso filling station in the UK - including those on motorways where the saving could be even greater. You do need to register for an Esso fuel card.

Dave

Yes, that’s a good deal. Saving of £6+ on a tank of diesel - that’s a bottle of wine, a couple of pints of beer or your membership fee refunded in 8.5 fill ups!

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
Yes, that’s a good deal. Saving of £6+ on a tank of diesel - that’s a bottle of wine, a couple of pints of beer or your membership fee refunded in 8.5 fill ups!

It is limited to 80 litres per fill (and at least 15 or you pay a £1 "service charge") but never-the-less a good saving - and it can be in any vehicle not just your motorhome.

Dave

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
we also book up for 7 or more nights with a caravan.. no 'village' buildings, and kids all grown up ..

have also seen plenty of motorhomes with awnings, and cars in tow.. why, when a motorhome is best for touring, surely a a caravan would be more suitable. ?

each to their own..
We occasionally tow a car and certainly for staying on a site in the UK a caravan is best. We rarely do that though and don't have the storage space to have both.
A chap once said to me when I stayed overnight in a pub carpark for a business meeting "isn't that a bit big just for one". I had to explain I normally had a wife and three kids with me and didn't run a special small motorhome for when there was just me.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999

each to their own..

We sometimes stay on sites for more than 7 days and often put an awning up. The reason we don't have a caravan is that we also take a motorbike/scooter because we enjoy riding them. You can't do that with a caravan. We also do short stays without any other transport and appreciate the ease of setting up a motorhome compared to a caravan. As you say, each to their own.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Deleted User
It is limited to 80 litres per fill (and at least 15 or you pay a £1 "service charge") but never-the-less a good saving - and it can be in any vehicle not just your motorhome.

Dave

Yes, I did my sums assuming 80litres

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We sometimes stay on sites for more than 7 days and often put an awning up. The reason we don't have a caravan is that we also take a motorbike/scooter because we enjoy riding them. You can't do that with a caravan. We also do short stays without aby other transport and appreciate the ease of setting up a motorhome compared to a caravan. As you say, each to their own.

that makes perfect sense..

but having owned both, never found much difference setting up either camper or caravan.. even for overnight stops .. , and as we mainly have holidays I the UK now, and always stay on sites, the caravan suits us better. We enjoy cycling and take our road bikes and also have the car for longer day trips and exploring.

Down through the years from the 70s, I've owned had used sorts of kit; campers, caravans, tents, and B&B on occasion cycling trips with a tent..

So we adapt and change as our circumstances dictate, what suits this year may well change next year.. :xgrin: that may well be hostels or B&B.

and as is oft said .. No size fits all .. :xThumb:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We sometimes stay on sites for more than 7 days and often put an awning up. The reason we don't have a caravan is that we also take a motorbike/scooter because we enjoy riding them. You can't do that with a caravan. We also do short stays without any other transport and appreciate the ease of setting up a motorhome compared to a caravan. As you say, each to their own.
We do the same. We are friends with a group of people some of whom have caravans and some have motorhomes. With a motorhome and a small car to tow if needed we have the best of both worlds: we can be (motor) caravanners some of the time and motorhomers when we wish to tour. Strange how some equate a motorhome with a car on the back with towing a caravan - there is no comparison.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back