caravan club (1 Viewer)

Nov 6, 2016
Farnham surrey
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79_4. Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi to all and seasons greetings, would anyone recommend joining the caravan club as we have just looked at a very nice site in the Cotswolds, moreton on marsh, but need to be a member of the caravan club or they charge an extra £12 per night, is there a specific motorhome club? or is the caravan club sufficient?

Aug 5, 2012
Hitchin
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 644.
Exp
since 1970's
The two main clubs are Caravan Club & The Camping and Caravan Club,I am with the CC&C and use them for my Motorhome Insurance & Ferry tickets as I do most of my traveling in Europe since Retiring as the weather is better.
Regards Snowbirds.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

KeithMak

Free Member
Nov 10, 2016
South West
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
My personal take on the two clubs above, if you dress for dinner when on site then the CC club, anything else the CC&C.
There is at least one other club, The Motor Caravanners' Club, no opinion as just found it via google.

Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
Have been a member of motorcaravanners club for 16 years and they have some very good rallies all around the country and have been made to feel welcome with all the groups we have visited. Have been a member of C&CC on and off for 45years and they have a lot of very good sites with friendly staff.

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Your going to get a very mixed response on here. Both clubs are a little like marmite, you either love them and wouldn't stay anywhere else, or you hate the thought of them.

When we started with our first van we where members of both, only for 1 year. We used the CLs (5 van sites) and not so keen on the full blown sites.

Not sure how much membership is know, but as allready said others save more than the cost of the membership with club discounts etc.

I'd say for the extra £12 try it out, the Caravan Club sites will all be to the same standard so it will give you a good idea what to expect. If you like it join up whilst your there and they might offer you a discount.

Shawn

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Caravan club.

Morton in the Marsh site, close to town, only a 10 min slow amble, they have a market day (Tuesday ?or Wednesday?)
TV reception is not brilliant there, but there is a booster you can hook into. Reception sells the booster cables, but they are easy enough to make yourself, just 15 metres of Co ax cable and a couple of ends. It does come in handy on some other sites too, Sandyballs for instance.

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
We use both CC and C&CC. Not the C&CC very often as we find their rules on minimum length of stays is very restrictive

CC sites do seem to be more expensive in 2017, what used to be about £23 now is nearer £30. A lot when you bring your own bed

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hiya Papa lazaroo (interesting name?) welcome to the madhouse.

Been lotsa discussion about merits of joining (or not) the main clubs. Caravan Club (CC) and Camping and Caravanning Club (C&CC) are the two main clubs in the UK and own their own sites, on behalf of their members. They both also have small 5-van sites that are (supposed to be) for members exclusive use and are usually minimum facility, thus somewhat cheaper, although this seems to be gradually changing. There are also smaller organisations, as well as a myriad of commercial camping/caravanning sites.

It all depends on what you want out of your motorhoming experiences; some people want hookup, showers, site shops, entertainment, bar etc. etc. Others are quite happy with a quiet field and a nice view as long as it's near where they want to be.

Before joining any club it's probably worth trying them out - both the big clubs have sites where you can stay as a non-member but, as you've found, at a premium - but there again the membership fees are not that huge. We're in both because we like to use the small sites in the UK, rarely using the main ones. As posted before, both clubs offer a range of discounted services like insurance, ferry tickets and even new cars, so there's a way of offsetting the membership fees.

Like almost anything to do with motorhoming, there's plenty of fors/againsts - it comes down to a personal thing. In your case I'd "try before you buy".

Terry and Jan

Free Member
Feb 25, 2014
Saltash,Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I use CC as an insurance. A number of times we have been stuck for some where to 'overnight'. So get the book out, find the nearest and overnight on site. Toilets and showers good, dump rubbish and waste, restock water and move on.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We are membe s of Caravan Club and Camping and Caravanning Club.

We have our house contents insured via CC&C as they cover lengthy absences, ditto motorhome.

We like both but tend to use CC&C sites more often as they have some excellent ones within easy distance for us.

We used to live in Moreton in Marsh in the 1980's and still return to the Caravan Club site. If you go, include Tuesday when the market is held in the Town Centre. Plenty of good pubs/hotels too.

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
C&CC members - Caravan Club far too prissy for us. Would never dream of going to a Club site with either organisation as, in our opinion, they are vastly overpriced - why would you want to pay extra for showers, toilets etc when you have everything you need on board? We love the CLs (small sites with water and chemical disposal points as a minimum - some have electric hook-ups but, again, this isn't necessary in a motorhome) and can usually find one near to where we want to be. Enjoy your motorhoming but don't be hoodwinked into using expensive sites needlessly.

Rapido924f

Free Member
Dec 16, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
We were members of both clubs for about 10years but have left both. The Caravan Club as it was getting expensive, petty rules and feeling we had that it was geared up for caravanners who set up for a fortnight as a home from home. Recently we used the C&CC site at Keswick which had one set of facilities shut although site was busy. When I asked a warden why I was told " we always shut one set at the end of September- everyone knows!!"
Finally we now spend our holidays abroad for 3 months a year on Aires and sites much cheaper. In the uk we use Stopovers at pubs etc

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We did a tour of relatives a couple of weeks ago. We had a night at the CC site at Littlehampton, two nights at the CC Brighton site, a night at the CC Henley on Thames (walking distance of the town along a pavement) then finally a night at the no loo block CC Site at Cadeside near Wellington. The latter was £14 a night, Brighton the most expensive at £21 a night, Henley and Littlehampton were each £17.
We had no complaints, the wardens were helpful and cheery, the toilet blocks were warm and clean, shower cubicals large with plenty of space to change. They were all exactly as I am used to and expect from the CC and for a few nights away in winter the hard standing pitches were ideal. Our dog was well catered for with dog walking areas.
But its horses for courses, if you don't want the facilities the CC (and C&CC) offer then don't use them.

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Welcome and happy christmas.
Both clubs have good standard sites, not too expensive to join both, so suggest you try membership for a year and see what you think.
Liked the Moreton in Marsh site, next time we will use it to catch the train in to Oxford for the day. The Independent Riverside site nearby at Stratford on Avon is a good base, you can catch a river taxi in to the town (need to check if this runs in the winter). :xsmile:

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
We were members of both clubs for about 10years but have left both. The Caravan Club as it was getting expensive, petty rules and feeling we had that it was geared up for caravanners who set up for a fortnight as a home from home. Recently we used the C&CC site at Keswick which had one set of facilities shut although site was busy. When I asked a warden why I was told " we always shut one set at the end of September- everyone knows!!"
Finally we now spend our holidays abroad for 3 months a year on Aires and sites much cheaper. In the uk we use Stopovers at pubs etc
No. This is expensive. http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?page=2&revid=15729

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
w2f

Hi papa i am a member of the C&CC as well as their own sites, their network of CSs and the rallies they run. What i really like about them is their Temporary Holiday Sites.
These are sites run by the members , they often run alongside major events like the Edinburgh Tattoo/ Fringe, the Open golf , hill climbs, festivals, galas and the seaside.

These sites are usually in fields and are really cheap. In the summer you can travel the country using these and chase the best of the weather.

Whatever you decide enjoy.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Well as we've said on here before we are big users of the CC sites ,ok they are probably not the cheapest but you do know what you are getting .In all the 20odd years we have been members we have never had a problem with wardens,pitching or any thing really.
Brian & Jo

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
The CC is a limited company not a club

The C&CC is not for profit organisation

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Neither. Don't get brainwashed into believing that you have to use campsites. The whole point of a motorhome is that you don't.

I can kind of understand paying one or other of these companies for access to their CS/CL networks if you believe it's necessary. All I can say about that is that I've never been asked for proof of membership when using one.

Even CL/CSs aren't necessary though. There are plenty of places you can use to overnight without resorting to anything connected with with either company.

Mark Haworth

Free Member
Dec 16, 2016
Hull
Funster No
MH
Globecar van conversion
Exp
since 2014
We use the Caravan Cub. Tend to stay on the CLs though not the big sites. CLs are much smaller (max 5 vans) and much less formal, also quite a bit cheaper and many have all facilities (electric toilet and shower) although the standard of these can be very variable.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Hello and welcome . We are members of both clubs and have been for many years (over 25). It's not expensive and there are discounts and insurances that can further reduce the cost. Using both clubs give you a bigger network of sites to stay at. We have no preference as to which club is better, the CC facilities tend to be more modern and the C&CC booking rules and minimum stay regs. drive me daft.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
So there you have it, one size clearly doesn`t fit all.

You really need to try out the sites on both these clubs to see if they work for you, personally we have found them both to be fine, yes you can meet some very awkward wardens (which you can equally find on private sites) but there are also some very helpful ones, of course both clubs have rules, well if they didn`t your Mr Joe public would just take advantage and there would be music blaring through out the night, kids bikes littered all over the place, washing lines hanging from the trees etc etc.

We like that both clubs have a standard so you know exactly what you are going to get for your money, odd we think that people have paid Tens of Thousands of pounds for a motorhome yet quibble about the cost of certain campsites.(n)

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
So there you have it, one size clearly doesn`t fit all.

You really need to try out the sites on both these clubs to see if they work for you, personally we have found them both to be fine, yes you can meet some very awkward wardens (which you can equally find on private sites) but there are also some very helpful ones, of course both clubs have rules, well if they didn`t your Mr Joe public would just take advantage and there would be music blaring through out the night, kids bikes littered all over the place, washing lines hanging from the trees etc etc.

We like that both clubs have a standard so you know exactly what you are going to get for your money, odd we think that people have paid Tens of Thousands of pounds for a motorhome yet quibble about the cost of certain campsites.(n)

I agree with ALL of this.

Dave

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back