Caravan Club - the costly way to camp (1 Viewer)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Hmm it's a shame @Philippa K isn't going to stay. Nice post.
There are opinionated people on here and it stimulates great discussions and posts like that. That's one of the things I like about it.
But there are zillions of other posts that are full of great information and advice as you can tap into a wealth of experience. There is also some great humour.
You should stay ... imho

Just look at the recent threads and most meet my zillions criteria

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I agree that at times it can get a little 'close up and personal' on the forum :eek: and unfortunately for @Philippa K some of it may well appear extreme and narrow minded. However, I would suggest that Philipa's posts do come across as aggressive and might only serve to antagonise those who do not share her point of view.

If Philippa K does not want to join MotorhomeFun then it is of course her choice, on the other hand she does have something to say and it would be nice if her voice could be heard.

So if you do read this Philippa, please reconsider:)

Personally I (we) have been a member of the CC but it has never been my first choice because for us it is too restrictive and too expensive ............... but that's the thing ............. it's a choice (by the way when we have a club site they have always been super clean and tidy with polite staff)

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
We're off to Fishguard Bay Resort for 4 nights at Easter & it's £84 for the 2 of us & our pooch with EHU - is that good value or not ?

To us it is - to others it may not be.
No, it's not good value at all when you think that all you need is somewhere to park, empty your waste water and toilet cassette and take on fresh water. For four nights your batteries should cope so you probably don't need to pay for EHU either. Hope you enjoy it anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
No, it's not good value at all when you think that all you need is somewhere to park, empty your waste water and toilet cassette and take on fresh water. For four nights your batteries should cope so you probably don't need to pay for EHU either. Hope you enjoy it anyway.

That may be all you need, others have different needs and expectations.......you pays your money and makes your choice, seems simple enough to me.:)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I think that Phillipa is upset
Don't know why, she just comes on and starts slagging members off who have paid their subs, she has very valid thoughts and nothing wrong with that but she doesn't like people having theirs , if she really wants to put her views forward , pay your dues and take the rough with the smooth, but it's strange she must have looked in here before but hasn't posted about anything before but gone straight into cc praising.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
and unfortunately for @Philippa K some of it may well appear extreme and narrow minded.

And to people with the opposite point of view @Philippa K 's posts may well appear equally extreme and narrow minded albeit from the other end of the spectrum.

However, I would suggest that Philipa's posts do come across as aggressive and might only serve to antagonise those who do not share her point of view.

If Philippa K does not want to join MotorhomeFun then it is of course her choice, on the other hand she does have something to say and it would be nice if her voice could be heard.

Joining a forum such as this for no apparent other reason than to act as a cheerleader for an organisation that has always divided opinion is bound to be considered suspect by those that aren't similar fans of said organisation.

I think she should join as well. This debate is far from done. To choose not to join because not everybody agrees with her somewhat rose-tinted view of one particular campsite company is a little odd.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I suspect if she had come on here to comment about French aires she might have formed a different view about this forum. Unfortunately, her subject of choice was one about which some folk have very firm views.

I just hope Fun doesn't go the way of Facts. Some of the threads I've read on here recently suggest the rot has started to set in. It may be a case of familiarity, in the sense when the same subjects come up the same arguments are wheeled out and stalls are set up.

I'm going to try a new approach but probably may not stick to it. :) When one of these old sores turns up if I can't think of anything original to add to the well rehearsed arguments - I'm going to shut up!

Last edited:

Caron

Free Member
Jan 29, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail navajo
Exp
New
I am new to all of this and so far I have found the cc sites very good and the wardens have all been very pleasant.
I initially started reading the cc forum and was amazed at the way some people there expressed their opinions, the intolerance of other views and the general lack of humour. Consequently I joined this forum.
My worry is that I end up pitched next to someone like this! By the way is there an emoticon for sarcasm? I should have used it in my last post.

Reactions: DBK

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I haven't been back because I decided that this forum wasn't for me. One reason is your comment above, which typifies the mindset of many on here. You don't like clubs so that anyone who does and puts in a reasoned argument for them must be a liar and a plant from one of them. I'm sure that the site owners can pin down that my emails come from one place in Portugal and can probably pinpoint the campsite. If you really think that a CC employee is going to waste her holiday doing this you're deluded.

I am just amazed at the way that people vent their dislike by uninformed and biased nonsense, which I've seen again today from another member. It's always the same "They're not clubs, they're a big business wanting to make profit". Oh my God, they're trying to make a profit, how disgraceful of them. The daftest thing was the comment that any profits should be distributed to members and not kept by the club. They don't seem to be able to work out that if this policy had been adapted early on the clubs would still only have one site and no CL network! Where do they think the money came from to buy new land, set up new sites and the CL network and continually improve existing ones? And they are also unable to work out that no individuals benefit by the clubs making profit? In fact what I like about them is that they are in every sense of the word a co-operative, with all profits reinvested and no dividends paid.

But the most uninformed and I'm sorry to say, unintelligent comment is that they are no longer clubs just because they've been successful and grown in size. They should look up the definition of a club and then look up the constitution of the CC for instance. They should then read about the local centres, which we were a member of for many years. Nothing is more club-like than a CC local centre, of which there are dozens.

Some people for some reason seem to prefer swelling the coffers of private sites rather than a club where the profits are returned to make it even better and provide even more sites for us. Very strange!

Another mindset is people moaning about paying a site fee but not using the showers. They seem to want a system where you're charged for each shower, each time you use the loo or plug in to the electricity. Then they'll have great fun writing to forums whinging about the greater bureaucracy. I love the ones who say "Why would I want to use a shower block, I've got a shower in my van." Mmmm, presumably then, using the same logic, they would never use a cafe or restaurant?

There are too many people on here whose views are based on nothing more than an uninformed bias, which itself seems to come from the fact that most of them don't want to pay a reasonable price for a very good site. But that of course is their right and who is anyone to criticise them? I just wish they'd stop criticising those of us who do.

Reading other forums as well as this whilst researching motorhome use has also lead me to conclude that motorhomers are amongst the most opinionated people on the planet. You're an idiot if you use toll roads. You're a fool if you don't use tolls and fight your way through busy towns. You're a mug if you use sites. You're a tightwad if you don't, the list goes on. For God's sake people, let others do what they want to do without the assumption that they're a fool and only your ways are the best ones.

I apologise for the length of this post but as it will be my last I thought I'd make it a thorough one.

And finally, I object to being called a liar by you and other people, simply because my views don't accord with yours or theirs. Their conceit that anyone who differs from them must be wrong or a spy from the CC is appalling.

Absolutely right I applaud your forthright and well presented views,but there are only the odd few that condemn anything to do with clubs and are self opinionated..the majority on this forum are well versed in how to look at the attributes of the big two clubs with a balanced view..please don't think that we are all the same. I use club sites ,commercial sites and cls etc and like many others here are very happy that we get value for money....so please don't go away your views are appreciated by the majority of us even if we don't agree with everything that is said..

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If the site is full when you get there then the CC have got the price right. In a market economy that's how it works....unfortunately.
It just shows how people in the UK are prepared to pay exhorbitant prices for services that elsewhere are far cheaper.:(

as we use our own shower and toilet
Yes I can't understand why you buy a motorhome & then use showers/toilets on a site ?

And that is the view of thousands of people. But there'll always be a few who can't be satisfied whatever the club does.
If you have to pay then it is expensive. :) We are all different & I certainly don't want to be on a site with hoards of people who are quite likely to be keeping me awake every night.Especially if I have paid.:giggle:

That's the thing we haven't stayed more than 3 nights a year on CC sites as we have had our 6 weeks over the water for the last 10 years, this year our elder dog has been diagnosed with a heart murmur so I didn't get his rabies jab done I'm worried that the heat is too much for him so were just going to follow our noses and the weather.

Yes , heat certainly wouldn't be good for him & excessive heat even worse. It would put an additional strain on his heart.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I think she might have got a bit more of a rough time at the Wildcamping forum.
I will not join any organisation that demands a membership fee so that they can then charge me a commercial rate to use the members facilities. I do not use sites unless I have to, the last one I went to you had to obtain a key to use the toilets and showerblock, so a deposit was asked for. I do not need or use these blocks or facilities as they are all on board, all I want is a dump for the toilet and grey water with a hose connection to refill the tank. As for being charged £7 or whatever just to go in and empty those is really taking the P*** and having to be a member to pay that. Is it they who have just put the time allowed in, back by an hour or so?

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I will not join any organisation that demands a membership fee so that they can then charge me a commercial rate to use the members facilities. I do not use sites unless I have to, the last one I went to you had to obtain a key to use the toilets and showerblock, so a deposit was asked for. I do not need or use these blocks or facilities as they are all on board, all I want is a dump for the toilet and grey water with a hose connection to refill the tank. As for being charged £7 or whatever just to go in and empty those is really taking the P*** and having to be a member to pay that. Is it they who have just put the time allowed in, back by an hour or so?

Not too keen on caravan club or camping &caravan club sites and fees then ???? Haha or have I missed something in your post . Haha

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
What is the matter with some people? What's wrong with joining clubs and paying for the facilities they provide? I don't play Golf but isn't it akin to paying membership fees then also paying for each round of golf? We all have facilities in our vans and it up to the individuals as to whether they use their own or use the onsite facilities. Personally I use both and certainly don't mind paying for them. Loads of sites have dog walks and children's play areas, I don't use either but I don't see why I should be charged less in site fees for not using them as some have suggested over the use of the ablutions. I belong to both CC and CaCC, I use them if they are where I want to go, guaranteed that the sites will be well maintained and tidy. Yes, sometimes the staff can be off hand, but that can happen anywhere. I also enjoy using CL's and CS's as well as indipendant sites, pub stops and Aires etc. This, of course is my opinion, not to be mistaken for a dig at anyone who feels differently, we all have our own opinions and ways of doing things and enjoying our leisure time!! :think: :happy:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Which could be summarised as “I don't like campsites“ which is a valid point of view but do you have to bang on about it so much? One post stating what you want out of an overnight stop would have been enough. Those who keep obsessively posting their vision of how things should be are ruining this forum.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Which could be summarised as “I don't like campsites“ which is a valid point of view but do you have to bang on about it so much? One post stating what you want out of an overnight stop would have been enough. Those who keep obsessively posting their vision of how things should be are ruining this forum.
I agree ,and I think that Phillipa k told it as it is ....like her getting a bit miffed with the few continual insinuating comments that all camp clubs are thieves rogues etc It is certainly not my experience but I don't think I would force my views on anyone else continually which is what I am doing now dduuhh .!! Sorry

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
but do you have to bang on about it so much?

Do the club site cheerleaders have to bang on so much about how wonderful they think those places are?

What's the difference?

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Do the club site cheerleaders have to bang on so much about how wonderful they think those places are?

What's the difference?
Auto response to auto response . Nick. Ie someone says how good the clubs are and immediately auto response saying how crap they are . No win situation . So just do your own thing like crap in your own van and bury the contents in someone's woods or use the bogs on a campsite ..simples . Haha

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I didn't think what I have put on this subject was banging on, just a reflection on what things appear to me to be. Expensive for a bit of grass overnight with a tap and plug. I would use campsites if I could actually afford to do it but they have second dip in my wallet the first is for me to use. Next thing is that the campsites become COMPULSORY to use and I am sure the owners/operators would LOVE that.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We regularly go to thetford c&cc site. Our daughter is disabled and gets free membership. It's within easy reach of London on a Friday night and were in the middle of the forest with great dog walking. Daughter is capable of using the vans facilities but the facilities there are great and she gets a bit more room. If the weathers rubbish she uses the van.
It's nice and clean, well run and has all the facilities you could want.
Although I agree everyone has a choice I do get marked when people intimate I shouldn't ho there for all the reasons we do go there and other sites.
In Europe we use Aires but have no issues stopping at a campsite either.
Am I wrong?

Obviously I'm not.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
image.jpg
Just spending 2 nights on the CC site at Castleton! We like the site as it's so handy for us! But what have they done to the six foot hedges!eek

Last edited:
Reactions: kcy

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
View attachment 96850 Just spending 2 nights on the CC site at Castleton! We like the site as it's so handy for us! But what have they done to the six food hedges!eek
Cor ! Whose that cracking looking bird ?? Ha ha. looks a nice area as well ,and will improve as now that the hedges have been cut back they will thicken up and be much nicer..

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Cor ! Whose that cracking looking bird ?? Ha ha. looks a nice area as well ,and will improve as now that the hedges have been cut back they will thicken up and be much nicer..
Thanks for the complement Roy but I think you need your glasses! The feathered variety birds have lost their nest building hedges! One lady was going early as she didn't like the lack of privacy!! Lol made me laugh! Don't go on a campsite for privacy!!

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Thanks for the complement Roy but I think you need your glasses! The feathered variety birds have lost their nest building hedges! One lady was going early as she didn't like the lack of privacy!! Lol made me laugh! Don't go on a campsite for privacy!!
The feathered friends will find a place no doubt for this year but will be back next year when hedge has thickened up a bit to give them a little more 'Privacy' haha ..fancy her saying not enough of it for her ,think she needs to pack in camping as its obviously not for her if privacy is her priority.

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Stayed at Chertsey C&CC site over the weekend. Looking it's age at this time of year but still worth the £17 pn as it's a great location for London, particularly for visiting relatives at Addlestone just down the road. Also two decent pubs just along the road, one of which gives 20% discount on meals if shown campsite receipt. ::bigsmile:

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
we preferr the smaller cs or cl type sites,it feels more like camping to us ,we just dont like the larger sites but if they are your thing then fine

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
a lot of the cc and ccc sites do not allow me on, they say im too big.

think they need to allow larger units on,most are 8+metres today.

ps, blackpools okay for 10.1 metre

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We usually only stay at one club site, Setthorns in the New Forest, just when we want to get away for a couple of days as its not too far, but not on our doorstep. We don't use the other C&CC sites in the New Forest as they have toilets which attract children. We don't object to children on principal, having had some ourselves but prefer not to have them forced on us, especially if not well behaved.

Never use campsite toilets/showers on principle so prefer places that don't have them, so I don't feel I'm paying extra for something I won't use. Almost all our touring is done on the continent where the choices are greater.

I know many people like the CC sites though we haven't stayed on one for 30 years+, we all have our preferences. It would be a sad world if we were all the same (especially if we were all like me)

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
Stayed at the cc site wyatts covert in Denham at the weekend, stayed there purely for its proximity to central London, 25 min by train @£10 return.

Handy if you are going into London, we certainly saved a lot of money on train fares from Yeovil and 2 nights hotel.

Can't think of any other reason to stay there, although it seemed mostly full, and there were some nice MH and caravans there, including an airstream.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back