Caravan Club - the costly way to camp (1 Viewer)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think the clubs are operating the way the airlines used to. For years they provided food free baggage seat reservations etc until someone realised there was a gap in the market for cheap no frills bus type services. I and many others would prefer more basic facilities yes the clubs provide that with cls etc but I for one feel miffed at having to pay to join a club to use them. It seems motorhomers on the continent manage perfectly well without club networks I just wish we had a country as motorhome friendly as France ( last year 10 nights less than 10 euros about about 40 p a night.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
I have no issues with the C.C or the C&CC, we're members of both and will continue to
use there sites .
I prefer the large pitches they provide and like the nice clean shower facilities.
As for using the van shower ? absolutely no unless needs must because I cannot be faffed to have fill the water tank up on daily basis .
The van is somewhere to sleep in and relax but that's where it stops .
Tried the MCC but there rallys are nearly always on non EHU sites which is no good for us as we like are 240volt appliances and I won't do without them .
After all that's why we come away to relax and have are home from home comforts.

Last edited:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Belonging to the CC and or the C&CC. is a mater of Choice?. We use a lot of CL/CS`s. often where for a modest sum we can get Power. If I wanted NOT to use my on-board facility I would have bought something different. It was a major part of the decision to have an American R-V. I could get a long weekend out of it without "Pumping and Dumping". That`s gone with Age(ist) restriction on my licence!. When we use the full facility (CC) sites we often use up saved "Vouchers" which come with the spend on the Credit Card!. I am due 3 days at Moreton in Marsh soon. For "free".

The CC/C&CC are not particularly Expensive, Not Cheap I agree but most are less expensive than "Private" sites, and always with far superior "Facilities". (BTW. the reason EHU is charged in with the price has to do with a GOVERNMENT change over electricity pricing. something outside the control of the Clubs).

To compare I spent 5+ years, in Bursts, travelling in the R-V (avatar) through the USA. The (nearest) Equivalent of the "Clubs" , "Kampgrounds of America", who are a Franchise, have charges varying from $30 to $70 PER NIGHT. and more for a "Superpitch".

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
We are members of the C&CC and have used both their big sites and CS's. The big sites are varied,some are really nice and modern ,some are a bit tired . What I don't like is their attitude towards WiFi,we've stayed on a couple of sites where you can only get it by standing or sitting outside the reception. In fact wardens have told us not to bother as it's useless and they get complaints.When I raised this through the feedback on the web site , they seemed to be in denial,all they wanted to know where it was so they could reprimand the wardens.
Another thing is when they state heated toilet / showerblock they should be , not have it turned off in October . I have other points that I could raise but I think that's enough.
Having said all that Im going to continue my membership until I can find anything better.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I think the clubs are operating the way the airlines used to. For years they provided food free baggage seat reservations etc until someone realised there was a gap in the market for cheap no frills bus type services. I and many others would prefer more basic facilities yes the clubs provide that with cls etc but I for one feel miffed at having to pay to join a club to use them. It seems motorhomers on the continent manage perfectly well without club networks I just wish we had a country as motorhome friendly as France ( last year 10 nights less than 10 euros about about 40 p a night.
The member only restriction on use of CLs/CSs is a result of CC and C&CC rules. Having said that, when the subject was being discussed as part of the legal clarification process 2 years ago, it became apparent that a number of CL/CS owners support the policy because that means that they have identifiable members staying rather than just anyone.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
t became apparent that a number of CL/CS owners support the policy

And quite a lot couldn't care less and are happy to take anyones money.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
That's up to them :) They are in breach of their contracts with the CC/C&CC and risk losing their exemption certificates if caught, but I suppose they could always get a replacement from the MCC or Fun if they were :D

Or one of the other couple of hundred groups that can issue them (y)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Or one of the other couple of hundred groups that can issue them (y)
Not quite a couple of hundred :)

If I've counted up correctly, of the 498 organisations that have some sort of exemption only 13 have a Section 5 exemption. The others hold S4 and/or S6 exemptions which allow them to organise rallies/THSs for caravans/motorhomes.

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
I know where you mean now. I thought the post referred to a site as it mentioned overnight stays. Strictly speaking it is in Marske. The RCBC web site refers to it as The Stray, Marske.

It's a funny one. Although it is marked out with bays, in the main, it is not covered by the latest (2003 as amended) off street parking order, which only deals with car parks for which a charge is made.
It may be covered by an earlier order (which is not available to view on-line) but I presume one would have to ask a specific question of the council to find out. It has certainly never been mentioned when I have made general enquiries about motorhome parking in years gone by, but neither have any of the other non-chargeable car parks.

I suspect that RCBC have better things to do than be heavy handed with any enforcement so long as people don't turn up mob handed or otherwise cause a nuisance to residents.

It is in the Camperstop guide Graham along with the Car Park at Saltburn with photo,s and price , the Marske is free the Saltburn E4.90 . As its been occupied for a couple of years now by Motorhomes and that part of Redcar and Marske has quite expensive homes Im sure they must have been some objections but nothing has been done to move people on Im thinking that the Council is being sensible and recognizing the benefits of visitors.

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
We saw 3 vans there yesterday, unfortunantly we were in the car and had been dog walking on the beach, we thought wow that would be ideal for the weekend but were not sure about parking overnight.
Ive counted up to a dozen when we have passed, the beach is great for the dogs :D to have a run we were there with our two and My Son and wife with their 3 last week there was about 25 Labs as well which set my youngest off yapping !! but she was only being bossy luckily she got a way with it. You wont have any problems parking overnight its pretty quiet.

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
C&CC, old git discount works for me . !! Only use CC when stuck for a site. Roy.

We first joined the CC&C in the late 60s but when we started with the motorhome for some reason my O.H started to get annoyed when being told where to park he likes to pick his own spot especially with the comos sat/ aerial, but now he has the hump with sites getting booked up!! (its his age ) anyway we will see how we get on, we were paying for the two clubs a few years ago but as the CC were helping themselves every year with the direct debit it was easier just to drop CCC. We will wait until April though before we join as we don,t go until early May. Do you get the discount all year or is just at certain times ? I cant remember! Barns Ness and Moffet were our favourites but Barns is now just outside Dunbar isn't it and not as relaxed I loved to walk along the beach into Dunbar it is awkward now I think.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It is in the Camperstop guide Graham along with the Car Park at Saltburn with photo,s and price , the Marske is free the Saltburn E4.90 . As its been occupied for a couple of years now by Motorhomes and that part of Redcar and Marske has quite expensive homes Im sure they must have been some objections but nothing has been done to move people on Im thinking that the Council is being sensible and recognizing the benefits of visitors.
It may be in a guide Madge but that doesn't mean camping is legal :)

I'm assuming you mean Cat Nab car park at Saltburn. If so camping there is certainly not legal (unlike The Stray it is covered by the 2003 order) and anyone caught could have a parking fine issued. Strictly speaking you're not even supposed to park a motorhome there in the daytime unless it can fit wholly within a single bay. Again, though, I don't know to what extent RCBC enforces the rules :)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We first joined the CC&C in the late 60s but when we started with the motorhome for some reason my O.H started to get annoyed when being told where to park he likes to pick his own spot especially with the comos sat/ aerial, but now he has the hump with sites getting booked up!! (its his age ) anyway we will see how we get on, we were paying for the two clubs a few years ago but as the CC were helping themselves every year with the direct debit it was easier just to drop CCC. We will wait until April though before we join as we don,t go until early May. Do you get the discount all year or is just at certain times ? I cant remember! Barns Ness and Moffet were our favourites but Barns is now just outside Dunbar isn't it and not as relaxed I loved to walk along the beach into Dunbar it is awkward now I think.
We're in both at the moment but hardly ever stay on main sites. We've never stayed on a C&CC site but will stay on one for the first time near Chichester in July as one of my nieces is getting married there.
If you can manage without EHU the C&CC rallies and THSs are fantastic. No need to book most of the time.

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
I'd be miffed if my subs were wasted not trying to increase revenue. :)
Why do you think that a members club would want to make millions and not return a single penny back to it's members by way of reducing some of their costs below those that commercial companies charge for the same services?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Why do you think that a members club would want to make millions and not return a single penny back to it's members by way of reducing some of their costs below those that commercial companies charge for the same services?

That's the point isn't it. A genuine members club would not be holding a huge surplus of cash. It should be non profit making, any surplus should be returned to the members or used to subsidise fees at the stalags sites

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
It may be in a guide Madge but that doesn't mean camping is legal :)

I'm assuming you mean Cat Nab car park at Saltburn. If so camping there is certainly not legal (unlike The Stray it is covered by the 2003 order) and anyone caught could have a parking fine issued. Strictly speaking you're not even supposed to park a motorhome there in the daytime unless it can fit wholly within a single bay. Again, though, I don't know to what extent RCBC enforces the rules :)
Its showing the car park near the Woodland centre Graham on the right where the toilets are before the left bend to the ship and smugglers car park it has reviews (Dutch) but it is mixed parking I will have a look next time Im there and see what the signs say.

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
We're in both at the moment but hardly ever stay on main sites. We've never stayed on a C&CC site but will stay on one for the first time near Chichester in July as one of my nieces is getting married there.
If you can manage without EHU the C&CC rallies and THSs are fantastic. No need to book most of the time.
That's the thing we haven't stayed more than 3 nights a year on CC sites as we have had our 6 weeks over the water for the last 10 years, this year our elder dog has been diagnosed with a heart murmur so I didn't get his rabies jab done I'm worried that the heat is too much for him so were just going to follow our noses and the weather.

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Interestingly in the Articles of Association for the Caravan and Camping club it only talks about camping and caravans. I may be time for them to include Motorhomes or Camping Cars or Motor Caravans in their sights. It does however mention young people and those with limited means.:LOL::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Take a look www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/GetAsset.aspx?id.. hope the link works

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm staying at a commercial site for the rest of this week. It is more expensive than either of the CC sites I used last week and the facilities are not even in the same league. Think draughty unheated shed.

However, it is in a perfect location, which is why we are going.

The CC isn't making millions from what I've seen. It is investing what it makes in ever better facilities, there were contractors in the site at Bury at the moment doing improvements to pitches. I've not been on any better sites anywhere in terms of loo blocks etc.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Its showing the car park near the Woodland centre Graham on the right where the toilets are before the left bend to the ship and smugglers car park it has reviews (Dutch) but it is mixed parking I will have a look next time Im there and see what the signs say.
That's the one Madge. Thinking about it overnight, I've seen it mentioned as somewhere where wild camping is allowed below. It appears that somebody from the continent decided it was suitable some years ago and a number of guides perpetuate that without checking accuracy.
The signs probably won't tell you a lot but that's commonplace. It is the TRO that matters not the sign. The 2003 order says that sleeping, camping and cooking is not allowed in any of the car parks it covers and, in the case of Cat Nab, vehicles must be parked wholly within a bay.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Interestingly in the Articles of Association for the Caravan and Camping club it only talks about camping and caravans. I may be time for them to include Motorhomes or Camping Cars or Motor Caravans in their sights. It does however mention young people and those with limited means.:LOL::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Take a look www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/GetAsset.aspx?id.. hope the link works
No need to alter anything. The legal definition of caravan (1960 Act S29(1)) includes motor caravan:
“caravan” means any structure designed or adapted for human habitation which is capable of being moved from one place to another (whether by being towed, or by being transported on a motor vehicle or trailer) and any motor vehicle so designed or adapted, but does not include—
(a) any railway rolling stock which is for the time being on rails forming part of a railway system, or
(b) any tent;

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Thanks for that GJH
It was more the perception of the phrases that I felt when I was a member several years ago. It seemed heavily focused on the Caravan an tent campers and motorhomers seemed to be more tolerated than welcomed and the Caravan Club was worse. I guess my problem is I have never had a caravan, I started off with a self converted camper in the early eighties. With us a thirst for super heated shower blocks, staying in one place for a week, gathering in an awning that took longer than a technical Lego set to erect, getting and travelling out in your car to visit places whilst leaving you accommodation behind has never been part of our holiday trips.
Good luck to the tuggers and welcome to all of them who find out what the joys of a touch and go life of touring with a Motorhome is like.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Once more you make totally unfounded claims such as the directors ignoring the wishes of the management committees that instruct them. If they did they'd be out on their ear as the constitution of the club is quite clear.

Yes, the club has lots of money. It's well run and profitable but the fact that it has a lot of money is in itself proof that no one's skimming it off! The CC would love to open more sites but getting them is very difficult because of a shortage of land and planning problems etc. but it does manage it when it can, such as Barnard Castle and Chatsworth to name just two.

But your most ludicrous claim is that it's illegal for a board of directors to act on the advice and instruction of a separate management team. Nothing in company law prohibits this and why should it? As long as what the management committee proposes is itself legal there is no obstacle to such a system. And this is one area that you'd be better not debating with me as it's my profession.

I'm sorry to have to say this but you appear to be in a tiny minority here and your antipathy to the CC seems to override any reasonable debate and makes you appear vindictive. Terms such as stalags and the club being run by a 'shower' are unfair and inflammatory, as well as being untrue.

I shall leave you to enjoy your obvious hatred of the CC but would just ask that in future you try to be more reasonable and fair in your opinions and comments. Goodbye.

Hi Phillapa,

I like others thank you for your posts but would say your comments do come with that rose coloured spectacle view, whilst Nick Nic comes from the other end of the spectrum.

Our own experience has been that not all wardens are sweetness and light, I can give you two personal examples where they were anything but,

First case, Castleton in Derbyshire, wardens sat in office 11-30am two caravans waiting at gate to book in, warden comes out tells them they are too early and they won`t be allowed on until 12 noon, warden goes back into office, no units are leaving the site and the site has plenty of empty pitches, less than half full.
More motorhome and caravans arrive, they now have spilled out of the driveway on to the main road, which now causes a queue of traffic backing up some distance.
The warden told the chap in the first caravan he wasn`t going to open the gates until 12 noon so the chap walked onto the site to see his brother who was already there.
Somebody went into the office to point out the congestion being caused, the warden realising his actions were responsible got off his backside and opened the gate, unfortunately no one could get in because the first caravan blocked the entrance.
The warden spoke rather offensively when the chap returned, to be fair to the man the warden did stipulate that he wasn`t going to open the gate until 12 noon that`s club rules.
My point and others is what did the warden think he was going to achieve, sat in the office doing nothing, no one leaving the site so no conflict of vehicles leaving and arriving at the same time.
He just caused an unpleasant situation because he could.

Second case, I was told to reverse my motorhome onto the pitch, when I said I wanted to drive on I was told it was club rules, that`s not true I pointed out, so a little disagreement ensued, the warden did volunteer that ok it wasn`t a club rule but his preference and the reason was that if a caravan was front parked on a pitch and caught fire he couldn`t hook it up to his tractor and tow it off the site.
I brought to his attention that who except a total idiot would connect a burning caravan to a tractor and then tow it blazing through a campsite.

So yes there are those wardens that are most helpful and greet you with a smile but there are still those that aren`t.

The caravan club does have good well run sites, you always know you will get a good standard of amenities but myself and a lot of other members don`t like or think that it is fair that having paid a yearly membership fee find that during the busy peak bank holidays the club increases it`s charges by quite a high percentage

We expect it from the individual campsites to which we pay no membership fee and to which we have no loyalty but to our own club we expect or should get better treatment and something back from our membership fees.
Otherwise what`s the point in being in the club, you may swell just go with the private sites which have all the same facilities but with no upfront yearly membership fee.

Some may suggest well you don`t have to join the big two clubs,if freedom of choice but that sort of comment and thinking doesn`t and won`t remedy the situation will it.

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
That's the one Madge. Thinking about it overnight, I've seen it mentioned as somewhere where wild camping is allowed below. It appears that somebody from the continent decided it was suitable some years ago and a number of guides perpetuate that without checking accuracy.
The signs probably won't tell you a lot but that's commonplace. It is the TRO that matters not the sign. The 2003 order says that sleeping, camping and cooking is not allowed in any of the car parks it covers and, in the case of Cat Nab, vehicles must be parked wholly within a bay.

:)
Seeing as it only takes me about 5 mins to drive home to my lovely comfortable bed I dont think there is a chance we would be staying anyway Graham.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
I wonder what happened to Phillapa K?

So much support and knowledge about and for the Caravan Club and obvious experience from 30 years of caravanning which could have been shared.

Or perhaps she has closer connections with the Caravan Club and Phillapa`s responses were an attempt to gain ground on all the unfavourable comments.

Will we ever know?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I would think how she was going on about it, she must have something to do with cc, and don't think she will be back.

Philippa K

Free Member
Mar 7, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own yet.
Exp
I would think how she was going on about it, she must have something to do with cc, and don't think she will be back.

I haven't been back because I decided that this forum wasn't for me. One reason is your comment above, which typifies the mindset of many on here. You don't like clubs so that anyone who does and puts in a reasoned argument for them must be a liar and a plant from one of them. I'm sure that the site owners can pin down that my emails come from one place in Portugal and can probably pinpoint the campsite. If you really think that a CC employee is going to waste her holiday doing this you're deluded.

I am just amazed at the way that people vent their dislike by uninformed and biased nonsense, which I've seen again today from another member. It's always the same "They're not clubs, they're a big business wanting to make profit". Oh my God, they're trying to make a profit, how disgraceful of them. The daftest thing was the comment that any profits should be distributed to members and not kept by the club. They don't seem to be able to work out that if this policy had been adapted early on the clubs would still only have one site and no CL network! Where do they think the money came from to buy new land, set up new sites and the CL network and continually improve existing ones? And they are also unable to work out that no individuals benefit by the clubs making profit? In fact what I like about them is that they are in every sense of the word a co-operative, with all profits reinvested and no dividends paid.

But the most uninformed and I'm sorry to say, unintelligent comment is that they are no longer clubs just because they've been successful and grown in size. They should look up the definition of a club and then look up the constitution of the CC for instance. They should then read about the local centres, which we were a member of for many years. Nothing is more club-like than a CC local centre, of which there are dozens.

Some people for some reason seem to prefer swelling the coffers of private sites rather than a club where the profits are returned to make it even better and provide even more sites for us. Very strange!

Another mindset is people moaning about paying a site fee but not using the showers. They seem to want a system where you're charged for each shower, each time you use the loo or plug in to the electricity. Then they'll have great fun writing to forums whinging about the greater bureaucracy. I love the ones who say "Why would I want to use a shower block, I've got a shower in my van." Mmmm, presumably then, using the same logic, they would never use a cafe or restaurant?

There are too many people on here whose views are based on nothing more than an uninformed bias, which itself seems to come from the fact that most of them don't want to pay a reasonable price for a very good site. But that of course is their right and who is anyone to criticise them? I just wish they'd stop criticising those of us who do.

Reading other forums as well as this whilst researching motorhome use has also lead me to conclude that motorhomers are amongst the most opinionated people on the planet. You're an idiot if you use toll roads. You're a fool if you don't use tolls and fight your way through busy towns. You're a mug if you use sites. You're a tightwad if you don't, the list goes on. For God's sake people, let others do what they want to do without the assumption that they're a fool and only your ways are the best ones.

I apologise for the length of this post but as it will be my last I thought I'd make it a thorough one.

And finally, I object to being called a liar by you and other people, simply because my views don't accord with yours or theirs. Their conceit that anyone who differs from them must be wrong or a spy from the CC is appalling.

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
IMHO, a balanced debate is always healthy. With an approach of an open mind, you can typically digest and evolve; or solidify, ones own view.

CC, (and CL) / C&CC (and CS) / Commercial / Adults only / No Dogs, etc: All choice for the consumer to consider, then make and pay for their choice.

I personally like to have a wide net of choice and we are members of both clubs.

With specific reference to the CC; we have yet to have a -ive experience, just nice relaxing breaks that for us have been good value for the money.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back