Caravan Club Insurance Mystery! (1 Viewer)

oaktree11

Free Member
Aug 15, 2015
Cheddar, Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner i640G
Exp
We are new to motorhomes!
Hi All,
In preparation for collecting my motorhome I am looking at insurance. I have got some quotes from companies that have been recommended to me and all was going well until I tried the Caravan Club!
The premiums are all in the same ball park and but the details of the cover varies quite a bit. Some of it is not really significant but some could be biggies - windscreen cover for example where the level of excess and more significantly the maximum claim limit could be really important (my screen costs £3000+ to change so a £2000 limit would not be good).
Anyway, i did the online quote with the CC and it looked ok, then i started to look for the policy details - nowhere to be found. alled the CC, ws referred to their insurance broker, Devitts. Phoned them and got a very woolly response, said they would email. Their email was their own terms and conditions of trading! Phone again, said it was not their policy to send out policy coverage or details until after the insurance was purchased BUT I could ask any details on the phone. WHAT!!! buy something without seeing it???
Have complained to the CC who seemed to understand my point, we will see...
Does anyone buy this sort of product without knowing the full details of the coverage or am i just being a grumpy old git?

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
:mad:I would say you are being sensible not grumpy.
I use Comfort and have no reason to complain but personally would not use CC insurance as they are good with the first customer price and then it goes up imho.
The screen cover is possibly the most important cover with the state of the roads so yes, ensure it is adequate before buying.
The best advise I was given about insurance policies
THEY ONLY GUARANTEE AN ARGUMENT IN THE EVENT OF A CLAIM!:mad:

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I found Safegaurd the best for us unlimited mileage , 365 days away , no extra charge for green card , Full breakdown cover ,

When I made enquiries , Comfort basic cover is cheaper but when you go over the, i think ?6000 mile the price goes up a lot , £17,50 for green card , 90 day EU limit etc etc

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I found Safegaurd the best for us unlimited mileage , 365 days away , no extra charge for green card , Full breakdown cover ,

Comfort basic cover is cheaper but when you go over the, i think ?6000 mile the price goes up a lot ,
£20 extra to increase mine from 6000, to 8000.

Aug 23, 2011
Huntingdon, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Lyseo 727g
Exp
since 2011
I've launched an official complaint against CC/Devitt/Axa regarding windscreen cover. The windscreen cover on my policy with Axa is through autoglass and clearly states that it covers all Europe. When I tried to claim whilst in France in June, Autoglass said that France and Spain were not covered. Rang Axa, who said I had to use Autoglass and if I didn't then they would only cover me for £100 towards the cost. I said Autoglass wouldn't do it. They said, basically, tough. The bottom line is that windscreen cover for motorhomes, especially A class, is a minefield and insurance companies are .....well, best not say.

OP
OP
oaktree11

oaktree11

Free Member
Aug 15, 2015
Cheddar, Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner i640G
Exp
UPDATE!
Well, the CC were very responsive to my complaint and have interceded on my behalf. The policy details are being sent to me. They cant be emailed apparently (I know, i didnt even to bother to ask...) so are in the post.
Surely the CC insures loads of Motorhomes. Did they all buy before seeing the policy details?

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
If it's so difficult for them to send you policy details, then goodness knows how they'll manage with a claim.

Personally, I've always found CC insurance quotes extremely high.

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
Pretty sure that it's UK consumer law that you are entitled to see t and c's before buying a policy and if not then potentially they can't be enforced. Of course the best option is just to take your business elsewhere.

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
How much for unlimited or over 10,000 ?.

With us being " up North " ... it puts 500 miles on each time we go to Dover ..

When we do a Morocco trip it is around 7500 miles in the winter then there is the rest of the year .
We do around 11, 500 a year so Comforts " Extra " mileage charge is quite high ,

Ok if you live near Portsmouth and go via Santander or live near Dover ,

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
The following copied from the Caravan Club website "a specimen copy of the insurer's policy wording, including its terms and conditions and exclusions is available upon request.".

OP
OP
oaktree11

oaktree11

Free Member
Aug 15, 2015
Cheddar, Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner i640G
Exp
The following copied from the Caravan Club website "a specimen copy of the insurer's policy wording, including its terms and conditions and exclusions is available upon request.".

Funny you should say that! The lady I talked to at the CC told me that was there. Actually, the CC's response was bang on, its their broker that was the problem. Anyway, the policy booklet arrived today as it happens so complaining did get me some action!

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Safeguard for us renewing this week.
Had a new A class windscreen last year after 2 chip repairs.
Got full European break down and repatriation cover for 5 ton tag axle 15000 miles a year under £400.00.
On the cars I go for cheapest as we don't go far but for the van I get the best cover as we're all over Europe all year round, if only touring UK I may go for cheaper.

Nov 15, 2007
Nottinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20+ but 30+ as a tugger
We were with CC for years until I discovered that they didn't cover solar panels. I thought it a practical joke but no they didn't. I left them in 2012 amid explanations that it was their underwriters that were the problem and that they were undergoing a complete review (I even participated in the members review) I don't know the outcome but well worth checking if you have solar panels. Windscreen cover is not just an issue with CC several companies have a limit of £3000. Thankfully Saga have no such limit. Another thorny issue with CC is their red pennant breakdown policy. Beware all you folks with large vans - check the details.

Dec 21, 2010
Wakefield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Vline
Exp
Since 1999
I'm sure I read somewhere that Safegaurd will not fully cover Satellite Dishes, I went with them as they have no limit in windscreens.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
My windscreen excess is £100. Had a new one fitted for £85 with Autoglass. European breakdown with ADAC,,85 euros.BUSBY..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back