Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
We just visited a Caravan Club site in Wales which we booked and received email confirmation. When we turned up we were asked by a relative of a WWII dictator if we had booked... he apparently seemed annoyed that our registration did not match his records. I thought it was myself and my wife who were members, not my vehicle. Do I have to inform the CC every and any time we change our vehicle? Are they an insurance company or DVLA? My wife was quite upset at the grilling she received from this jumped up ***** strunting about in a logo shirt as if it made him something special! Later a site inspector happened to be around and asked my wife for her card etc and he was quite happy with things. We haven't used the CC sites very often, but this is the same type of reaction from wardens that we received when we used another CC site in the Lake District the last time. On our return home we went in to our bank and have cancelled our subscription. Letter ready to CC for posting. Too many weeeee dictators. Park this way, move a millimetre the other way, don't do this, don't do that. Holidays are supposed to be a relaxing experience, but obviously CC site wardens have other ideas. The CLs are a better option, but we'll take our chances elsewhere. Had enough of these dictators.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Oh dear, and holidays are supposed to be relaxing affairs. :)

You don't have to tell them if you change your MH but if you do when you turn up they will recognise who you are and have things ready by the time you walk into reception. That has generally been my experience and I've never had any hassle on CC sites - but a few have and like you they vote with their feet. You'll miss their little magazine! :D

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Having worked at ccc sites, you check the vehicle registration, but no problem if different.
Easy change on booking system
:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
You should probably relax a little.. why let something so trivial upset you.
It's just a camping club ...
It should be no suprise they have rules and procedures
Cant say as either club wardens have ever upset me really. .. but like @DBK said.. vote with your feet.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
There is never any reason to be rude and Im not defending anyone .

I was told the reason they ask you to update your unit details is certain members let other members of there family use there membership card saving that person the cost of membership.

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
Was it near to Llanelli by any chance.?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Simple security. Is it really so difficult to book with the correct details? you can even amend your booking at any time. Give em a break

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It seems to me in the past when we used the sites they feel they are doing you a favour letting you stay there its a bit like a lot of council offices and officials and about time they realised its the members who pay their wages.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I must be going to the wrong site, in the 8 years we have been members we have never had an issue with wardens always found them polite and helpful, ruins my holiday as im always looking for an argument and cant get one :D:D

OP
OP
weejohnw

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Savings for non-members at this particular site was a massive £2.
Rules are rules and you need them, but to have them so enthusiastically enforced is bordering on the ridiculous.

OP
OP
weejohnw

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
ONLY sites we have ever had bother with Wardens on were on Caravan Club sites.
Maybe we should install a James Bond style revolving number plate!
With what was described as a "foreign side door" on our motorhome, and no rear windows, we do not want to be parked up looking into a hedge but would like to park with a view out over the site - but rules are rules!

OP
OP
weejohnw

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Give them a break----? After a long drive an interogation rather than an "hello and welcome" is not a good start.
Then to be directed facing the wrong way, millimetre perfect onto a pitch is even less of a welcoming follow up.
as I said, the Caravan Club sites are the ONLY sites, both within the UK or abroad that we have EVER had problems on.
If you have never experienced this type of dogmatic, "i'm wearing the logo" mentality, then great. But we have and it really puts a bad taste on staying on a Club site.
We have totally different experiences on the CL's which are great and much more welcoming, but not always suited to all types of trips.(y)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I certainly would not let them dictate whether I parked forward or reverse and I've yet to encounter that.
Mine too is continental side

I look forwards to them trying to dictate that
CA_03151413362293-XL.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
weejohnw

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
If you have never experienced this type of "Hitler" mentality on a Caravan Club site from the Wardens, then please do not "judge" me for expressing what we DID experience.
It seems all too often to happen. The savings do not warrant the membership cost and on many occasions the facilities on offer are equally as good on other sites. Will have to find some more toilet reading material once the mag stops arriving. :cry:
To give credit where it is due, we stayed also at Glenfield Caravan Park near Leeds and the lady there was terrific, helpful and friendly. This is a site we would highly recommend. Clean - very clean in fact, manicured lawns and any help required regarding information etc was offered in a friendly helpful manner. Well done Gemma at Glenfield- not a CC site and cheaper!:D

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
When booking online, it asks for vehicle details. It comes up with details that you have entered before, the reg number and size. If for example your previous van was 5.5 metres long and your new one 7.5 metres but you hadn't bothered to tell them, you may find there isn't a pitch available to accommodate a 7.5 metre van, then what would you do? Is it really so hard to change the details that have been stored.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Caravan club wardens don't all come out of a mould and a personal experience of one warden on one site is in my view not enough to blight the whole organisation. They do a very difficult job and face many quite objectionable members throughout the day which can have an adverse affect on them and how they might wrongly treat someone.
I do look forwards to the reply you get from HQ

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
Since we purchased our new motorhome in mid-March we have spent a total of 59 nights on 12 different CC sites, as well as many nights on CC CL's.
My bookings are always made on-line and I ensure that the outfit details shown on my booking are correct.
We have never had cause to criticise any staff, either this year or in the many previous years that we have been members. I treat them with respect and this has always been reciprocated.
On arrival I always explain that my MH has the hab door on the 'wrong' side and ask how they want me to pitch. I accept their instructions because I know that they need to keep a safe distance between outfits in order to comply with the CC policy on fire prevention.
There is a problem with people borrowing members cards. It's not just a case of them saving a quid or two on site fees. We use the Club because we know that, like using a Premier Inn, we know what to expect on arrival. Not just in terms of facilities but also the behaviour of our fellow site users.
If I arrive at a CC site and the warden suspects that I am not the person entitled to use the membership card (and the benefits that go with it) I will gladly provide alternative evidence that I am the member.
Just because I am a member of the Club I do not own it. I am just one of tens of thousands, and if I don't like the rules I should get out. A bit like this forum.
Stef.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Why we are not members any more, only stayed at a few of their sites not one of them was a pleasant experience, everyone of them had there jobsworth little Hitler wardens. Never had any problems on any other sites, but it has made us avoid sites as much as possible.

Deleted User
We are members, wasn't sure about renewing after first year, but as I am from York and family and friends still live there it's convenient so we stayed members, yes there are a lot of rules, but they make them clear so not a problem, wardens have always been polite and happy on all sites we visited and other than a couple of sites where we were told it was for safety reasons we have been allowed to pitch front in or out as long as to the legendary pitch marker. When we swapped van, couple of minutes to change details on line.
Will probably only use them now for York but even for that one site it's worth being a member as it costs £10 extra a night for none members.
Current wardens at York are very nice and happy, we were greeted last week by them dressed as Elvis, very happy holiday feel.
CC forum however is another matter it's full of miserable moaning gits.

Lin :)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
For what it's worth, we are in ccc but only for this year as I forgot to stop my direct debit in time last year, we have been in it about 4 years now but only used camps the first couple of months, very strange feeling they are sort of catering for people that have been going since the year dot and don't really want any interlopers in their little setup, but they will have to get used to it or they will be sending everyone to France .
We stayed in it just for the meets and rally's in the back of the mag which are very good value for money if they are where you want to be but even them are very cliky but for the money you can stand that but when they want £30 a night to boss you about, no thanks.
We shall be out this time , France and aires are just too compelling (y)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Interesting isn't it?
There are those who've never had a good experience :(
There are those who've never had a bad experience :)
And a few in-between o_O
I wonder how often this is down to the mood of the camper on arrival? (or to their general attitude.)

eg neither of us is working, we have no commitments, so when driving we have all the time in the world. We tend to have half-hour stops every 2 hours max, & if we're going to a club site we get reception over and done with before we start our usual arguing with each other about parking :whistle:

OP
OP
weejohnw

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Thank you for all the replies.
Cancelled our membership of the CC.
Don't often moan about things, but these guys just really caused a major upset having given my wife a real grillin' - and not just about the vehicle details.
A more welcoming greeting would have meant so much.
The welcome and helpfulness of Gemma at Glenfield - non CC- was terrific and just as it should have been at the site in Wales.
Vehicle details - have the option of selecting from two vehicles to travel in or indeed has has happened before, been in a hire vehicle due to last minute "hiccups".
The site inspector quizzed us - politely - and found everything in order.
These wardens were anything but polite. If only the questions had been asked in a more civilized manner rather than the aggressive behaviour my wife encountered. We are not confrontational type folks and always try to greet people we meet with a smile as we speak to them, but "Hitler" was having none of it.
Disappointed.
Voting with our ££££££.
:nerd:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Another thing with most of the meets and rally's is they don't know who you are till you get there or what you are in for that matter as nearly all of them are no booking, just turn up with your card , simples!

OP
OP
weejohnw

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Hi Chaser.
Spend most of our holidays in France and Germany- five weeks this year in France and Germany with three nights in a site in Maastricht where we were greeted with a friendly welcome and a great pitch. Despite the language barrier the folks there managed to organize a taxi to a concert for us and even checked up with us afterwards to make sure everything went OK. Some difference!!!
And as for price? the most expensive site we stayed in this year was fourteen euros - it had two swimming pools, laundry, tennis courts, football pitch, children's play area, bar, restaurant, library, mini shop, immaculate showers/toilet block, water and also included leccy as well as an owner who couldn't speak much English, but managed to arrange an appointment with a vet to sort out our pet passports. And not a "Hitler" in sight!

OP
OP
weejohnw

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Still have CC and C membership where we find when we use their sites that the Wardens seem less dictatorial. :punch:
But I'm sure there are good and bad in both Clubs.:angel:
I was only relaying our experiences and seem to have upset a few folks by doing so. Didn't intend to.:hi:
The smaller CS's are great and we usually use these for overnight stays on route to warmer climes.:coolest:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Since sampling aires the year after our joining ccc, just don't have no wish to use their sites anymore.
We also spend maybe 8 weeks a year in France with useualy a month or five week one in September and only used campsites maybe 5 times in three years just for washing clothes and stuff, but even them are more , go where you want , do what you want.(y)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Never understood all that "the hab doors have to face the same way" malarky, what are they trying to achieve, if it's privacy then we're all in the wrong hobby (n)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Only site we've had a problem with the Wardens, as far as the CC is concerned, has been Baltic Wharf. We HAD to park facing a bloody great wall, and the woman had a sense of humour by pass, BUT we didn't let it spoil our stay.
We also had problems with Minehead CC Site ,not with Wardens, but with the constant noise of the bloody Leaf Blowers

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
We have been members on and off for years depending what our plans have been and never had a problem. Until the last couple of years. I don't see why I should "give them a break" because they work hard! They are working in a public service industry and should be polite & welcoming to customers. If the jobs so difficult they can't show good manners, they shouldn't be in the job. Some of them make you feel like your checking into some sort of correction unit! As I said, NOT ALL Wardens but we have certainly experienced ridiculous, jobsworth attitude and as of July are no longer members.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I'm feeling a bit bad here cause I'm going to defend the wardens. . While I appreciate that some may well be a bit jobsworth ... it is their job and they do have rules which are rules and should be adhered to. Members signed up to that.. I have been told exactly where to park. I've not been asked why my reg no is wrong because it's not. I have lost count of the amount of times I've seen rude and aggressive people coming out with "I pay your wages" at sites in the UK and complain about clearly stated rules.
Never in Europe though.. people just seem to follow the (less strict) rules there
Anyway.. looks like the op cancelled .. which is probably the right thing to do in their circumstances .
I'll continue to use both main club sites along with cls and cs

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back