Caravan / Awning rail extension (1 Viewer)

Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
Hi Folks,

Just spent a couple of weekends away in our new (to us) Auto-Sleepers Corinium Duo; York Naburn Lock (as recommended on here) on the way back from handover and last weekend at Grafham Water. All good and had time to have a good look around the 'van, make some measurements, and put a list of "more" accessories together ;)

One item on the list would be an awning; I've seen a few out in the wild and on the various manufacturer websites and not convinced either way on make/model yet BUT, the Thule Quick fit does seem like a winner so far; large I think and 2.6 or 3.1m.

caravan rail extension.jpg

Only thing is, whatever I go for, the caravan rail (I think that's what it's called) stops short of the lounge window (see pic), so any awning/tent will obviously be across the edge of the window which a) looks daft and b) means the window can't be used. I feel I'd like the awning to be at the front and to give full coverage of the window and across hab door.

Questions then are:
  1. Where can I get extensions to the caravan rail to fill the gap to the red line circled in blue?
  2. Has anyone had experience of doing this modification?
  3. Does anyone have experience of the Thule Quick Fit?
Thanks very much (y)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Hi Folks,

Just spent a couple of weekends away in our new (to us) Auto-Sleepers Corinium Duo; York Naburn Lock (as recommended on here) on the way back from handover and last weekend at Grafham Water. All good and had time to have a good look around the 'van, make some measurements, and put a list of "more" accessories together ;)

One item on the list would be an awning; I've seen a few out in the wild and on the various manufacturer websites and not convinced either way on make/model yet BUT, the Thule Quick fit does seem like a winner so far; large I think and 2.6 or 3.1m.

View attachment 438121

Only thing is, whatever I go for, the caravan rail (I think that's what it's called) stops short of the lounge window (see pic), so any awning/tent will obviously be across the edge of the window which a) looks daft and b) means the window can't be used. I feel I'd like the awning to be at the front and to give full coverage of the window and across hab door.

Questions then are:
  1. Where can I get extensions to the caravan rail to fill the gap to the red line circled in blue?
  2. Has anyone had experience of doing this modification?
  3. Does anyone have experience of the Thule Quick Fit?
Thanks very much (y)
Unsure exactly, but I think the Thule fits onto your windout awning rail not the one attached to the MH. Ive seen a few different ones fitted and all seem to fit on the wind out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
Our Omnistore is an older model but there is an awning channel on the bottom edge

Check yours as may save you extending the other

Usually unwind it a bit to attach, then wind it back in

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
We have extended ours at either end.

1. We got our strip from a local caravan accessories supply shop but they are available online. Take a good image of the cross section of your existing rail with a ruler for scale. I actually took a 'brass rubbing of the end of mine with thick paper and soft pencil. Make sure you get the matching internal diameter of the channel (normally 6 or 8 mm)

2. It doesn't look like to have any graphics to bother about where you want to put your extension so just give the area a good clean to get rid of any wax etc. and just use sikaflex 512 or similar.
Get a piece of dowel or similar that is a sliding fit in the C section of the rail that can be used to line up the new piece to the existing rail whilst you stick it on (cant be too snug a fit as it will need to slide out of the 'new' end)
Check with your eye and a straight edge for alignment and then put a few lengths of masking tape on the new piece to hold it in position till the glue cures.

You could, if you want belt and braces, use pre drilled and counter sunk rail, or diy and use stainless steel self tapers to screw to the side wall, but of course this is more holes in the side of your MH!

Good Luck

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Unsure exactly, but I think the Thule fits onto your windout awning rail not the one attached to the MH. Ive seen a few different ones fitted and all seem to fit on the wind out.
I would agree (y) and suggest the caravan rail might have been added as an extra for a drive away awning perhaps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Andacami
Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
Thanks, I'll see if I have pics of the Omnistor, was not sure it had an integral rail to be honest but worth rechecking of course...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back