Caravan and Motorhome Club M6 Toll discounts end 31st December 2018 (1 Viewer)

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
One of the main benefits (to me) of being a Caravan and Motorhome Club member has been the discounts they offer on the M6 Toll.

I use this discount so much that it more than covers the cost of my membership each year (y)

Sadly, the discount scheme is ending on 31st December 2018:
Following a lengthy review the M6toll Senior Management Team have decided to withdraw the Caravan and Motorhome Club member offer from 31 December 2018. Frequent M6toll customers will be able to benefit from a 5% discount on the M6toll Tag. Details about the Tag and how to apply can be found on the M6toll .

I've only seen this information on the CAMC web site (here), I've received no emails from CAMC about this scheme ending, I hope people don't find out the hard / expensive way (n)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
We have used it a couple of times this year, with CMC discount I think the toll was reduced to £5.75 from £12 full price.
We will use it again this month probably, but will review our position yet again for another year of CMC membership.
Might try the CCC for their temp summer sites, and if anyone is interested 10% discount on all Solar stuff from Photonic Universe.
I was disappointed that the discount offer was not offered to CMC members also, but CCC got in there first, so lost out on £55 discount on our new Solar stuff:(
Thanks for the warning of December deadline, as we dont tend to read the CMC mags, they end up at the GP surgery mystically :whistle:
Les

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
That's because the M6 Toll is fundamentally flawed. Over £6 now for a car, and it's made a loss every year since it opened. Biggest white elephant ever, if the Government had just swallowed the cost and built it as a normal motorway, I'm sure the M6 through Brum wouldn't have needed all the expensive extra works it's had since to increase capacity and it would flow a damn site better, helping the West Midlands economy.

The toll road has been open for 15 years now and doesn't seem to have started a trend for any more private motorways. It was sold not long ago - Government could have stepped in and bought it, but no...………….

Grrrrrrr……. :mad: I pay enough road tax as it is. At least in France whilst they charge for the Peage you also don't pay road tax I believe.

I do use the damn thing, but never in the van, only in the car when my employer is paying I confess.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
RogerThat

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
@Feltwell you prompted me to read up about the M6 Toll on Wikipedia.

In 2005 MEL reported an operating profit of around £16 million. Total revenue was £45 million, with staff and other operating costs amounting to £11.4 million and depreciation of £17.4 million. Taking into account net interest costs of around £43 million, that leaves an overall loss of £26.5 million in 2005 – their first full financial year.

Long term debt was £819 million as of 30 June 2005.

:eek:

That's more than a few bob eh?!

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Whenever I've used the M6 , there are always signs stating the toll road is clear but never a mention of the regular M6 clear or not.
When in the van I've always used the toll because of the discount, not after December though.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
@Feltwell you prompted me to read up about the M6 Toll on Wikipedia.

:eek:

That's more than a few bob eh?!

Indeed! The BBC reckons it's always made a loss - to quote the article below, "It has always lost money - £25m on average each year."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35553865

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-40285221

Whenever I've used the M6 , there are always signs stating the toll road is clear but never a mention of the regular M6 clear or not.
When in the van I've always used the toll because of the discount, not after December though.

Those signs are owned by the M6 Toll - it's the larger ones that are the "general use" signs that tell you if the M6 is particularly bad.

For a while I was commuting through the M6 every day and it was at my expense - £70 a week in toll fees is just too much to bear, so I'd avoid it if I could, but the M6 is so bad I had to use it fairly frequently for the sake of what little sanity I have left. Yes, I had a toll tag, for convenience so I didn't need to stop at the toll booths - it gets you a massive discount of, what for it...…….

5% ! Woo-hoo! And you have to pay up-front, and pay £1 a month for the tag. Only worth it for convenience really.

I have a deep moral objection to the M6 Toll. Well, except when someone else is paying! :LOL::rolleyes:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
That's because the M6 Toll is fundamentally flawed. Over £6 now for a car, and it's made a loss every year since it opened. Biggest white elephant ever, if the Government had just swallowed the cost and built it as a normal motorway, I'm sure the M6 through Brum wouldn't have needed all the expensive extra works it's had since to increase capacity and it would flow a damn site better, helping the West Midlands economy.

The toll road has been open for 15 years now and doesn't seem to have started a trend for any more private motorways. It was sold not long ago - Government could have stepped in and bought it, but no...………….

Grrrrrrr……. :mad: I pay enough road tax as it is. At least in France whilst they charge for the Peage you also don't pay road tax I believe.

I do use the damn thing, but never in the van, only in the car when my employer is paying I confess.
Well the recently opened Mersey Gateway bridge uses a similar model I understand.

The government did the same with the Dartford bridge. The contract there stated that the bridge became public property once a particular figure in tolls had been collected. The government at the time stated that when that happened the tolls would be removed. Well it happened some years ago and the bridge is now owned by the government. But you can guess what has happened with the tolls!

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Yes, but I suppose we've much more history with tolls on major bridges so are (in general) more accepting of them. The bad thing with Mersey Gateway is that the old Runcorn bridge, which was free (but badly congested) is now toll paying as well - which is not on. Locals who meet certain geographical criteria can pay £10 a year to cross as often as they like. The only saving grace for everyone else is the toll is not that high at £2. If the M6 Toll was at that kind of level it would be much more bearable for those that need to use it regularly.

The Severn bridge is supposed to be free after the end of this year to go into Wales - it's been free to come out of Wales for a long time. I go across the "old" Severn bridge fairly frequently with work, the toll receipts state this.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Happy Birthday Debs @Debs . May all you wish for yourself come true!
:birthday::birthday::birthday::birthday:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back