caravan and camping club or camping club ? (1 Viewer)

Sep 10, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 309
Exp
since 2011 but years in a caravan
This question must have been asked before from another newbie but I searched and cant find it.
If I only join one club what’s it to be caravan and camping club or camping club ?
Edited after reading Bob message.
Opps I meant what BobT said see below If I only join one club what’s it to be Camping & Caravanning Club or the Caravan Club
Thanks Bob

Last edited:

BobT

Free Member
Jun 15, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Who?

I have never heard of the Camping Club. To the best of my knowledge there are the Camping & Caravanning Club plus the Caravan Club. I'm a member of both, solely for the excellent campsites.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
caravan club....too many rules and stubborn/little hitler wardens

Camping and caravanning club....some rules but far more relaxed wardens.

my way to describe them is

Caravan Club Hierarchy = suit and tie with a stiff upper lip walking a British bulldog

camping and caravanning club hierarchy = bloke in a flat cap with a grin walking a whippet

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Very very much each to their own.

If you can get away quite a lot then join both, you will get a magazine each month from both which is as good if not better than you can buy at the newsagents. You will also get a reduced nightly rate if you are a member so the cost of membership is easy to offset.

You have twice the number of camp sites to choose from and an inordinate amount of Cl's and CS to choose from.

If after a little while you prefer one to the other then you may only need to be in one but I am afraid only you can decide.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.

Caravan Club Hierarchy = suit and tie with a stiff upper lip walking a British bulldog

camping and caravanning club hierarchy = bloke in a flat cap with a grin walking a whippet

Think you may be a bit out of date here, we have only used Caravan club sites this year and have to say they have all been excellent, helpful, friendly wardens, great run sites, you always know you are getting with an excellent standard of shower blocks etc etc.

A few years ago certain wardens on some sites did think they were little hitlers, but there again we also found that on some independant sites.

Today we have found a totally different atmosphere on caravan club sites and would recommend them 100%. :thumb:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years

I think this is a view that isnt quite up to date.... I think it used to be that way........Without exception my eperience of CC is really helpful wardens .......ordinary hard working people who cant do enough to help.

The normal CC club has super clean facilities.showers /toilets etc.

As for rules..I asked one warden how he wanted me to park on a hard standing and he said ...As long as its on the hard standing you can do what you like..put it on its nose if you like :Smile:

Im sure there are C&CC sites that are great but I dont think their standards are generally as consistently high as CC sites

barry

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
C&CC really need to come to terms with the fact we are not all snooty rich buggers who are willing to kowtow to their whims

CC are a much better bet.. but best of all in my book is the motorcaravan club ( if you REALLY want to join a club like that at all )

I keep looking, and I am sort of close to joining the C C only 'cos TheOnlySue rates her area group highly and reckons woman and I would fit in a treat !

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Think you may be a bit out of date here, we have only used Caravan club sites this year and have to say they have all been excellent, helpful, friendly wardens, great run sites, you always know you are getting with an excellent standard of shower blocks etc etc.

A few years ago certain wardens on some sites did think they were little hitlers, but there again we also found that on some independant sites.

Today we have found a totally different atmosphere on caravan club sites and would recommend them 100%. :thumb:

I think this is a view that isnt quite up to date.... I think it used to be that way........Without exception my eperience of CC is really helpful wardens .......ordinary hard working people who cant do enough to help.

The normal CC club has super clean facilities.showers /toilets etc.

As for rules..I asked one warden how he wanted me to park on a hard standing and he said ...As long as its on the hard standing you can do what you like..put it on its nose if you like :Smile:

Im sure there are C&CC sites that are great but I dont think their standards are generally as consistently high as CC sites

barry
think i'll wait for a few more replies before i reconsider my opinions as many more funsters are of the same opinion and, like myself, have cancelled their membership :thumb:

the standard of shower/toilets are not a concern for me....i have a motorhome with hot and cold running water, a shower and a flushing toilet...why would i want to use those used by every man and his dog ?

if the grass is short or the hardstanding is firm that'll do for me. :thumb:

the CC have recently imposed a 27ft limit on many sites which excludes me anyway, whereas the C&CC dont have this limit, providing they have RV sized pitchs at all.

hedgefordpete

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
cannock chase
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
im a newbie
clubs

hi , we use both clubs as and where we travell. both clubs have clean and well kept sites.
we are haveing a problem with booking over weekends at the caravan club,they are useually full .we have tried to book on a number of sites for four nights to try out our motor home, all are full.
i understand that members book up in november for the following year, with a no deposit booking they have nothing to loose. you can join a standby list.
there is no problem at all with the camping and caravanning club were you pay a £25 deposit on a booking.
regards pete::bigsmile:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Go for both! You only have the spend five days or so with each to get your money back in membership refunds, either way, enjoy your hobby!:thumb:

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
Joined C & CC club last month for reasons Poperjohn and Jaws posted but not tried any sites nor rallies yet

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
IMO it's worth joining all three, C&CC, CC, & MCC if for no other reason that they all produce regular magazines which include hundreds of meets all over the UK for every weekend you can join in without pre booking.

The C&CC in particular run many THS's (temporary holiday sites) most of which you can use again without prior booking and these are usually very reasonably priced and held in some beautiful locations throughout the country.:thumb:

blamehofman

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Fancied a few days at York after the Whitby rally and looked to book the Rowntree Park CC site in York only to find it fully booked for the whole of November.... This is a fault with the Caravan Club allowing people to block book for the whole year probably with no intention of going but book just incase , and unless you book at least a year in advance for a Bank Holiday weekend you've got no chance . Still all the sites Ive seen have been spot on and the wardens ok . Mick .

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
This question must have been asked before from another newbie but I searched and cant find it.
If I only join one club what’s it to be caravan and camping club or camping club ?
Edited after reading Bob message.
Opps I meant what BobT said see below If I only join one club what’s it to be Camping & Caravanning Club or the Caravan Club
Thanks Bob
the caracvan club is the regimental toffy nosed group who place caravans as top dog and MH secondary and RVs as low lifers who should be shot on sight

the camping and caravan club is the down to earth club with no toffy nosed approach to camping

i know who i would rather spend my time with and be more relaxed with

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Fancied a few days at York after the Whitby rally and looked to book the Rowntree Park CC site in York only to find it fully booked for the whole of November.... This is a fault with the Caravan Club allowing people to block book for the whole year probably with no intention of going but book just incase , and unless you book at least a year in advance for a Bank Holiday weekend you've got no chance . Still all the sites Ive seen have been spot on and the wardens ok . Mick .
From personal experience the wardens are rude, unable to see that a motor home is as good as a caravan any day but turn up with an RV (only 25foot long) and they turned us away saying our RV was too big
i was a CC member for 12 years and i would not renew after my contact with the Roundtree park wardens (toffy nosed jobs worth they are )

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
From personal experience the wardens are rude, unable to see that a motor home is as good as a caravan any day but turn up with an RV (only 25foot long) and they turned us away saying our RV was too big
i was a CC member for 12 years and i would not renew after my contact with the Roundtree park wardens (toffy nosed jobs worth they are )

You was done.............CC lists max length of 8.5M, almost 28', at Rowntree Park:Doh:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
You was done.............CC lists max length of 8.5M, almost 28', at Rowntree Park:Doh:
that is why i am nolonger a caravan club member
they see an RV and assume it is too big just because it is an RV and not a Euro motorhome but what do you expect from caravan club wardens they are not well educated and stuck in a rut

if any one free camps m then a tip if you need water most MacDonald restaurants have an out side tap I just asked the manager if i could fill up and most would oblige no problem
plus free WIFI what a deal for the price of a coffee

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
apart from the choice of sites and cl/cs, both clubs also offer breakdown, pet insurance, vehicle insurance etc etc. ferry booking they even will do a full European trip itinerary for you and book the sites for you if you need it.
My advice would be to try both and see which you yourself think gives you the best deal.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We're members of both and regularly use both especially like the small CL sites.

Only time we've ever had any issues was when we had a RV which appear to getting banned from more and more sites unfortunately.

Never experienced the issues others on here claim to have, in fact nearly always found wardens to be very helpfull on both sites, they're just people doing a job. Had the odd grumpy one but definately had more bad experiences at big commercial sites than any CC or CCC sites.

Join both see which one suits you best. :thumb::thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
DOH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just reread my post !!

Wat a wally !

C & CC are ok , tis the CC that are WAY too far up their own importance !!!!

( I spose being blackballed from the CC for complaining about the amount of crappy spam mail they kept sending me MIGHT tend to bias my thoughts a little :Angry: )

Jul 25, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2009
We've been with the C&CC for 4 years, last year we also joined the CC, as we like the C&CC temporary sites and weekend rallies we thought we could get more choice joinin CC too.
However, with the CC you have to book in advance for their weekend meets and temporaries, not an option for us ad we like to just get up and go at the weekend or if we have time off. Also, we have never managed to get on one of their CLs always fully booked. Won't be rejoining th CC, but have just joined the MCC too.
We are not interested in fancy sites all the time, just somewhere safe to park the van for a couple of nights with good walking for the dog and cycling for the hubby...oh and for me to chill !!

Incamania

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Preston
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2002
Hi
We have been members of both Clubs for years as well as an Owners Club and all have their pro's and con's, there is 'no cap to fit all'.
Consider the following:
Do you want to Rally regularly and which club do your friends belong to?
Which club provides more sites in the areas you wish stay?
Which club caters better for your interests e.g an Owners Club.
Do you want to Winter Rally abroad?
There are obviously many more points worthy of consideration, but, as with life there is rarely one definitive answer - hence most of us end up eventually
joining several, each for it's own particular assets.
Hope this hasn't thrown too big a spanner in the works:winky:.
ATB
Incamania

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.

Have to say again that we have never had any problems with the caravan club sites and we stayed on 14 different caravan club sites this year.

As for motorhome length we have seen lots of motorhomes over 8.5m being accepted with no worries, they have even saved us a pitch when we have phoned to book.
One thing we don`t agree with is they let people find their own pitch, a bloody pain when you get a small unit on one of the big pitches.
Though overall we feel we have well had our moneys worth from the Caravan Club. :thumb:

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
The C&CC (and maybe the CC as well) has special offers (4-days-for-the-price-of-3, 7-for-5) at many of their sites, so if you plan on staying for a while in one place and can fit in with the special offer rules it makes it even better value for money.

I stayed at the Cheddar C&CC club site last week, 4-for-3 offer, about £9 a night EHU + hardstanding :thumb:

(Going off on a slight tangent, speaking to the warden as I left, it was the quietest week they've had in the 8 years since they took over. I counted on average only 6 pitches in use (out of 90) and they were putting it down to the economy.)

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
I must be the opposite to everyone else..I had probs with the C&CC...at the Sandringham site I asked for a pitch out in the open and they put me in the trees...when I told the Warden that I'd specified an open pitch he questioned it..So I rang the C&CC bookings office and gave em my ref number..they spoke to him and he still questioned it so I asked for my money back..went round the corner to the CC site and got whay I requested...The thing with C&CC is when you book they want a deposit..CC don't but then again I guess it prevents a no show..C&CC take you and place you on a pitch..CC you pick your own and go and tell em the pitch number...end of the day CC for me

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
CCC or CC

hi all we are members of both.we use C&CC for the arrival breakdown scheme because there are no size limits:thumb:we have used CC sites many times and never encountered a problem.the wardens have always been helpful and have always done their best to accomadate us,the sites and shower and toilet blocks are always immaculate:thumb:we are 34ft now and soon to go to 37ft and we wil still use CC sites:winky:a lot of what causes problems with the wardens is peoples attitudes towards the wardens when they first arrive on site,they are there to do a job and a damn good job they do as far as we are concerned.
regards brian jo and josh:thumb:

dc6947

Free Member
Aug 25, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
converted ducato
Exp
United Kingdom
I have CC membership and stayed in a lot of sites during the summer, alternating it with wildcamping.

Most sites were great, very friendly and helpful. There were a few that were not so friendly though, including one which insisted everyone parked with absolute precision pointing in exactly the correct angle and lining up their pitch marker exactly in line with the centre of the rear of their van which should be 0.5-1.0metres away from the marker. They even gave us a printed sheet detailing all this. It was pretty scary! For some reason one site seemed to have problems with the fact that i'm a single mom travelling with a 3 year old, they kept asking me if i had anyone else with me and when i said no they asked me "are you sure?" several times. I think they might have thought i had a husband and another 10 kids hiding in the back of the van and we were trying to avoid paying, lol.

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Joined the CC last year and have yet to try one of their sites :RollEyes:
Everything we've done has been abroad so far. Tried to book Eurotunnel through them but the system crashed.....twice! I don't think their website is the best but there is lots of info.
Next week we're off to try their Tredegar site and then Moreton-in-Marsh in mid-Nov, both booked successfully on line. Will report back :Eeek:
Just joined C and CC because they sounded very friendly so we will be able to make comparisons.
CC seem to have many more sites and CL's available though.

belboy

Free Member
Aug 16, 2010
N/Ireland
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Exp
sorry in advance for the silly question guy's :whatthe:-------------but can someone please explain to me what is a CL ????????????? :Eeek:

hedgefordpete

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
cannock chase
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
im a newbie
cl sites

hi funster, a cl site is a small club site taking only five units,
some have basic facilites and some will have electric and may also have a toilet, there are also hideaway sites hidden away.
both the caravan club and the camping and carravanning club list them in their handbooks.
regards pete.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back