Car Transporter Trailer (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
War? what War? ::bigsmile: this is just a minor skirmish, you wait till someone says they have been gassed. :ROFLMAO:

Geo mentioned about moving a trailer by hand, mines only two wheels and weighs 300kg empty, on the road its easy, on a rough field its hernia time, a four wheel is worse.

One thing I would advise is a tow hitch on the tow car, if you do need to move it move than a few yards you can use the car.

Olley

OP
OP
D

dougwatts

Deleted User
That's a brilliant idea; thanks Olley.

Brian James have a fairly new (lightweight) design; the A-Max found here:

Link Removed

Seems to be a good (if expensive!!) choice.

Any comments on this?

Doug

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
well now we know the answer. cancel the new motor home n get a 5er, fancy coming on here causing all this trouble n not got the m,home. we will have to wait till someone needs to fill a gas bottle or why dont you use an a frame forget the trailor idea. much more advantage than big wheels on trailer. any body think of anything else?good job this is the friendly forum. :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
That's a brilliant idea; thanks Olley.

Brian James have a fairly new (lightweight) design; the A-Max found here:

Link Removed

Seems to be a good (if expensive!!) choice.

Any comments on this?

Doug

Hi Doug what the heck sort of tow car are you getting? The minimum weight of those ones is 2000kg gross, so I reckon will take 1600kg car.

For a small micra sized car 1000kg load capacity is all you need, as they are all around 800-1000kg unladen. I would go for a micromax which is the updated version of mine. Link Removed no point in towing something heavier than you need to.

Olley

OP
OP
D

dougwatts

Deleted User
Hi Olley

I'm only applying the advice given by you 'experts', i.e.:

* Spain (where I will be spending the winter) don't allow A-Frames
* Get a bigger one rather than a small one as it's more saleable s/hand
* 4-wheels are more stable than 2 and this is a light 4-wheeler (500kg)
* My car is 5'6" wide and 11'+ long
* It is 950kg (kerb weight)
* You boyos have been saying how your 2-wheelers have been ploughing tarmac
* I have a tow bar on the car so can manoeuvre trailer with it

Mind you, having said all that, The max recommended trailer weight for my mh is 1340kg, so doing sums on the weights above I will have to go for the A-max

Sod it :Doh:

Doug

OP
OP
D

dougwatts

Deleted User
Sorry, I meant the minimax

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Glad your sorted
to make myself perfectly clear what i was trying to say was don't buy a smart type trailer as many have done, they look very nice tow very nice but a lot of folk get stuck with them because you need a buyer with a smart to sell it to:Doh: Where as with the one you have chosen it will take a variety of small cars so your selling market is bigger
You certainly didn't need your first choice unless to want the option to tow the Motor home on it with the toad:RollEyes::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Olley

I'm only applying the advice given by you 'experts', i.e.:

* Spain (where I will be spending the winter) don't allow A-Frames
* Get a bigger one rather than a small one as it's more saleable s/hand
* 4-wheels are more stable than 2 and this is a light 4-wheeler (500kg)
* My car is 5'6" wide and 11'+ long
* It is 950kg (kerb weight)
* You boyos have been saying how your 2-wheelers have been ploughing tarmac
* I have a tow bar on the car so can manoeuvre trailer with it

Mind you, having said all that, The max recommended trailer weight for my mh is 1340kg, so doing sums on the weights above I will have to go for the A-max

Sod it :Doh:

Doug

Hi Doug hmm not like me to argue with the experts; but. :ROFLMAO:
"A" frames Spain, I asked this question at the stratford rally, and one of the fulltimers who spends a lot of time there has never heard of any trouble, other posters in the past have also said they have towed all over spain without problems. Personally if your partner can drive, just incase their is some truth in the rumors. Get an "A" frame.

You haven't bought it, and your worring about selling it!!:whatthe: For me it was a long term purchase, so reselling didn't come into it.

4 wheels are more stable, but thats only a concern if you unhitch with the car on, driving you shouldn't notice any difference, its not like a 1 ton car pulling a 3/4ton caravan, its 3.5ton long wheel base van pulling a short 1.25 trailer. Never ever noticed any problems when we had the eurovan.

Unless its an unusual car, anything under a ton will fit.

Our Micra is 950kg as well.

A low hitch is common to all these trailers not just the two wheeled ones, you don't have the rear overhang that I do, so apart from loading ramps on the ferries I doubt you will have many problems.

The problem of having a blow out has been mentioned, and this is the only advantage a 4 wheeler has IMHO, I have blown both tyres at different times, you must IMHO take great care that your tyres look ok and are at the right pressure, they are close to their limit when the trailer is fully loaded.

If I had to buy another I would still buy a two wheel, simply because its easier to move by hand, at shows, rallies and at some sites you will be on grass and it ain't always very flat, your not going to connect it to the car just to drag it around the side of the van. Also I have to pull mine around at home to load it up, so 4 wheels would be a bigger sod to pull about.

If you wanted to be really swank you could fit it with a caravan mover :thumb:

Olley

OP
OP
D

dougwatts

Deleted User
Hi again

Problem seems to be that my car's dimensions are:

* Weight 960kg
* 5'5" wide
* 11'11" long

I don't think the Micromax is big enough, is it?

My other dilemma is that the maximum (gross) towing trailer weight for my mh is quoted as 1340kg, which would indicate that I can't go for a larger trailer :shout:

With regard to A-frame towing I'm aware of the controversy over whether or not they are allowed in Spain, I don't want to take the risk of being stopped over there.

I have no partner, by the way.

Doug

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi again

Problem seems to be that my car's dimensions are:

* Weight 960kg
* 5'5" wide
* 11'11" long

I don't think the Micromax is big enough, is it?

My other dilemma is that the maximum (gross) towing trailer weight for my mh is quoted as 1340kg, which would indicate that I can't go for a larger trailer :shout:

With regard to A-frame towing I'm aware of the controversy over whether or not they are allowed in Spain, I don't want to take the risk of being stopped over there.

I have no partner, by the way.

Doug

Hi Doug weight is ok, the smallest capacity is 1000kg, its not the overall length of you car you need to measure its the wheelbase, our Micra hangs over the back of the trailer, with the rear wheels being about 3" in. width looks ok as well. I think I would go for the 5'9" to give a bit of wriggle room.

Your max towing weight does mean its that or nothing if your buying a BJ trailer, and I doubt you will get significantly greater capacity at 1300kg GWV from any other manufacturer.

Sorry about your wife, I have only just read your notes under your avatar, sincere apologies.

Olley

OP
OP
D

dougwatts

Deleted User
Hi Olley (and others!) :Smile:

Thanks for that - I guess you're right and on speaking to a man at Brian James he said that the Micro would suffice as up to 1 metre overhang is permitted by law.

I've stumbled upon this though:

11 foot bed small car trailer transporter [CTSA] - - It's Free! : Trailers, Trailer Parts, Car Trailers, Trojan Trailers Trailer Parts Car Trailers

Trojan Trailers do an 11' bed with various widths which include 6'1", giving alot more 'wriggle room' to quote you!! The weight is also within the recommended limits.

I don't have any experience of Trojan, though, so if you and anyone else can give me any leads here, I would be grateful.

Doug

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Doug never heard of the company, but from the photo's the trailers look good, slightly less payload at 950kg, which means the unladen is 350kg rather than the BJ's 300kg, apart from that I doubt theirs much in it. ::bigsmile:

Olley

TonyIsh UK

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

I have been through the pages on this thread and have a couple of questions.

1) Two wheeled trailers, has anyone tried Tyron bands in the wheels as a safety measure ?

2) We have a drive with a moderate slope and cross camber up to the parking area. I think it would be very difficult to get the small car trailer up by hand (we have a 12ft Brenderup goods trailer that is difficult to get up the drive even unladen).

The vehicle we have cannot have a towbar fitted. (Or no one I have asked makes one for it)

I was contemplating a front ball fixing on a 7 metre Eurovan, but there would not be much "wriggle" room for the trailer unless you had it line up properly first time. (Forget reversing up !)

I was thinking of a caravan power mover, One trailer company fits them on car trailers, but the cost is as much as the trailer.

Anyone tried a caravan jockey wheel mover ? It would for use at home and on site moving the trailer unloaded.

Rgds

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Twin wheel will tow better and be more stable - especially behind a motorhome when you can't see it very well. They also reverse alot easier!

Brian james are probably the better built ones, and are well known for transporter trailers.

I for Williams also as well known and regarded - they have the advantage of doing transporter trailers with removable sides.........which means when you are not using it to tow your car, it can double up for trips to the tip. You will of course be everyones' friend when they want something shifted!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back