Car Mot and Motorhome Mot (1 Viewer)

May 9, 2018
Sherborne,Dorset
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 580PR
Exp
3yrs
Had the car and the Motorhome MOTS Extended because of lockdown, when I put the car in for an mot it didn’t go as plan and were unable to pass it
Without small jobs being done to it , the work was to be done a couple of days later, but the car was returned to me , on the form for failure , clearly states that because
Of the mot extension it is completely illegal to drive it on any roads, presumably only to get it fixed, assume it’s the same for the motorhome, just pointing
Out that if you’ve had extension on M/home and they were unable to put it through, it becomes totally illegal to drive, I believe that in previous mots before lockdown
You had a period of leniency to enable to get work down and then return it to get said mot , anybody else come across this

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
My understanding is that it's normal on ANY standard MOT not just those on extension.
If the vehicle fails you can't legally take it on the road, even to drive it home !! A misconception is when a vehicle is taken in prior to the expiry date and people think they can still drive it up to the end of the date on old MOT certificate.

Happy to be corrected if I am wrong. 👍

Geo ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gilly114
May 9, 2018
Sherborne,Dorset
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 580PR
Exp
3yrs
Always thought there was a leeway period to get work done, can’t be totally sure
As it’s the first time a vehicle has come back to me with a refusal ticket , like to hear from others

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Always thought there was a leeway period to get work done, can’t be totally sure
As it’s the first time a vehicle has come back to me with a refusal ticket , like to hear from others

I think there is a timescale ref getting work done and checked with no further test. After a certain time a full new MOT test is required.

Let's wait for some experts 👍😁

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
😁🤭
I should have read this first. 😟

Driving a vehicle that’s failed​

You can take your vehicle away if:

• your current MOT certificate is still valid
  • no ‘dangerous’ problems were listed in the MOT
Otherwise, you’ll need to get it repaired before you can drive.

If you can take your vehicle away, it must still meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness at all times.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gilly114
May 9, 2018
Sherborne,Dorset
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 580PR
Exp
3yrs
My understanding on the certificate was that immediately it’s failed , that the mot even though it was not out
Meant that I couldn’t be driven from that time , anybody else come across this , Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
😁🤭
I should have read this first. 😟

Driving a vehicle that’s failed​

You can take your vehicle away if:

• your current MOT certificate is still valid
  • no ‘dangerous’ problems were listed in the MOT
Otherwise, you’ll need to get it repaired before you can drive.

If you can take your vehicle away, it must still meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness at all times.
Well there's a contradiction if ever there was one.

You can take it away after a fail providing..... As above.

It can only be taken away if it still meets minimum standards....as above.

It just failed, so how does it meet minimum standards?
The MOT is only valid at time of test and could fail minimum standards the next day.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back