Car Insurance "parasites" (1 Viewer)

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
My mid-week whinge....car insurance. We bought our son a small Peugeot and to keep the insurance rate as low as possible also went for a black box to be fitted via the insurance company.

They came to fit the box a few days ago but then said that the car had been modified so they couldn't fit said box unless he/we paid a higher premium. Oh dear perhaps the previous owner must have added a nitrous oxide engine or twin exhaust even ? Nooo these so called modifications were - the two rear passenger windows were tinted, the model number 207 was missing from the rear hatch and there was a roof rack attached ? So these are truly performance enhancements are they grrrrr:mad:

So whilst I am on a roll why is it that points on your driving licence are considered to have been purged after 3 years by the DVLC and the law but oh no not in the eyes of the insurance companies who insist that you must pay the higher premium for another 2 years beyond that...blood sucking leeches is the most polite description that I dare write on here ..:mad:
:mad::mad::mad:

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Unfortunately '' enhancements '' such as tinted windows can make a vehicle more '' desirable '' to the would be thief - hence the higher premiums.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
More expensive to repair a tinted window than a standard stock item, and the roof rack could blow off and damage a third party's vehicle or injure someone causing an expensive lawsuit

Why not take off the roof rack, scrape the tint off the windows with a razor blade and stick 207 decal back on the back

I see no issue with a quote for a "standard" car being changed if it is no longer standard

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
One mustn't lose sight of the fact that insurance companies do not exist for our benefit, but rather to make profits and bonuses for shareholders and executives from a compulsory law. They couldn't really care whether they are selling insurance, double glazing, holidays or PPI. (Which most of the CEOs and senior management probably have at some time during their 'successful' careers).

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Stange things insurance companies, daughter partners much younger brother he is 18/19 runs a BMW 5 series half the price to insure compared to a Festa or Corsa, and old ones very cheap to buy, win, win.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Check the small print in the TPFT section:pray:

Probably got to be on fire when its nicked :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Good thing about an aftermarket tinted window is that it keeps a tempered glass window together when smashed. Otherwise the glass smashes to tiny pieces on an impact, showering the occupants with glass. The problem that insurers see is that aftermarket tints (not all of them) tend to be darker than the legal limit and that's why they tend to load the premium.
As for a roof rack, the insurer thinks that if youve a roof rack fitted all of the time, You're going to use it which increases the risk of something falling off and causing injury.
Both crap reasons for loading the premium in your case but like Eddie states, I'd suggest taking off the roof rack and scraping the tint off.
A shame that the jobs worth black box fitter couldn't suggest you do this whilst the black box was being fit.
And yes, you're right that the insurance companies are just leaches - just like the taxman and the scroungers on benefits who can work but can't be arsed. But that's for another day!

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
....The problem that insurers see is that aftermarket tints (not all of them) tend to be darker than the legal limit and that's why they tend to load the premium!

That shouldn't apply in this case as the OP states that the tints are on the rear passenger windows, where there is no legal limit on how dark they can be.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
That shouldn't apply in this case as the OP states that the tints are on the rear passenger windows, where there is no legal limit on how dark they can be.
But the OP never stated that the steering wheel was in the front!

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
I think you will find that the word 'parasites' is redundant in your title..

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
To be honest I can't see anything wrong with what the fitter has said ... the car is NOT standard, the modifications may not enhance the speed but they may add to the possibility of 'accidents, as has been said if a roof rack is fitted it is likely that items will be carried up there which may damage the roof and lead to a claim, similarly the tinted rear windows may make it not so easy to see when reversing etc, again increasing the risk of damage. As for the little missing number ... if it had only been that I doubt it would even have been mentioned!

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
If you buy a new BMW you can pay to be debadged, no model markings. How does that work with insurance companies?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back