Car hire (1 Viewer)

DJT

Jun 20, 2019
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Now Sold
Exp
Quite pleased i managed to hire a car from Europe Car for the 4 of the 6 days we are at Pitten Cross on the Gower.
Fiat 500 but for me the icing on the cake is they deliver to site and collect after period. £226. Happy with that.
HOW MUCH!! Enterprise Chichester £105 for 5days for Ford Fiesta auto!! With CMC discount.
Pick you up at the site and drop you back when off hire!
Think you might have had your leg lifted!! But as long as you’re 😊
Just saying like🤔🤔

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Quite pleased i managed to hire a car from Europe Car for the 4 of the 6 days we are at Pitten Cross on the Gower.
Fiat 500 but for me the icing on the cake is they deliver to site and collect after period. £226. Happy with that.
I find the key factor when hirering any car is the additional insurance for zero excess. A small scratch in a car park can become expensive without it. No all hirers offer zero excess. Do Europe car.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021

Look at the bottom of this page as I have used a excess policy for hire cars abroad and yes they do work as I needed to claim on my £18 policy for a £480 claim

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I’ve never hired a car whilst on holiday in the motorhome but would certainly consider doing so if in some out of the way spot,but wanted to visit a place beyond walking or biking distance. Trying to park a Moho in towns can be a complete pain in the arris. I guess the price for collection and delivery will be more if you are out in the sticks.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
You could have had my car for the cost of fuel and putting your name on the insurance (I'm not using very often as the Van is my preferred transport

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I’ve never hired a car whilst on holiday in the motorhome but would certainly consider doing so if in some out of the way spot,but wanted to visit a place beyond walking or biking distance. Trying to park a Moho in towns can be a complete pain in the arris. I guess the price for collection and delivery will be more if you are out in the sticks.
We don't generally find going in the mh a problem but we are 6m long and don't mind parking a bit further out and walking

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

HOW MUCH!! Enterprise Chichester £105 for 5days for Ford Fiesta auto!! With CMC discount.
Just saying like🤔🤔
Both sound okay to me.

We have only ever hired a car once whilst away in the Motorhome. We hired a Citroen Bean Tin (C1) from Hertz. Its all they had as it was the Annecy film Festival. Returning the car was a nightmare. We were on foot with our 4 year old Grandson. We needed to get back to the last boat to Doussard. Typical French "NO" Would not open up as the woman was finishing her late lunch. I nearly beat the door down.

One company I would avoid GOLDCAR

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Just saying like🤔🤔
Used Enterprise last time in North Wales. More expensive than others. Also used Enterprise for one day getting back fromPrison Hotel quarantine Heathrow. One way about 5 /6 hours in total, £240, thanks Enterprise/
Not a member of any of the C sites.
And yes i am happy with this booking. delivered to and collect from site so no hassles.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I stood behind a german chap in tears while returning his hire car at Faro Airport it had small scratch. They wouldn't return his passport until he paid £1600. I had zero excess they didn't even look at my hire car.:cry:

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
One other thing, Europe Car say £10 delivery collection, so £10+£10 = £76 go figure.
So £76 off the rental makes it palatable.
And not bothered about the costs as i will stop it out of HRHs housekeeping:LOL:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
We both like having a larger car than your usual smaller toad type vehicle when at home, and the cost of a second car and tow bar/a frame could not be justified for those sites that do not have accessible walking or public transport nearby. Not yet needed to hire a car, but your approach is the one we would take bobnick - we could have a lot of hires for the cost of a toad outfit. I would not rule a toad out (I am not anti a-frame) if we ever downsized our car, but that seems unlikely.

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Reading about these horror stories of overcharging n stuff. Of all the scores and scores of cars we have hired in lots and lots of countrys the only issue we had is when we were charged for half a tank of petrol when we returned it full. Apart from an e-mail to them of which they ignored we never pursued it. That was Sofia, Bulgaria.

DJT

Jun 20, 2019
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Now Sold
Exp
Used Enterprise last time in North Wales. More expensive than others. Also used Enterprise for one day getting back fromPrison Hotel quarantine Heathrow. One way about 5 /6 hours in total, £240, thanks Enterprise/
Not a member of any of the C sites.
And yes i am happy with this booking. delivered to and collect from site so no hassles.
One way hire Out of London!! It’s always going to cost you!!
In my experience we have used Enterprise many times and have never been disappointed with the price or service.The last time we hired was PRE - COVID so prices may well have risen.

DJT

Last edited:
OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
My preferred car rental of choice would be Enterprise but this time they could not/would not deliver to camp site. How much does one value convenience?
We used Enterprise from Heathrow as they were the ones that opened up earliest so we could escape London.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
One way hire Out of London!! It’s always going to cost you!!
In my experience we have used Enterprise many times and have never been disappointed with the price or service.The last time we hired was PRE - COVID so prices may well have risen.

DJT
Enterprise are good.

Reactions: DJT

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Our last car rental was Hertz from Stansted airport, flight was delayed so wet and dark when we picked it up, although it was new the damage was not marked on the sheet so put on what we noticed, 😯 a flying visit for my dads funeral took it back the next day and although we spotted the rear wheel had a scuff never noticed the front, first thing he looked at was front nearside wheel, after furious arguments and getting to almost miss our flight, I had to walk away before I decked him, found the car cleaner and asked if he cleaned that vehicle yesterday, yes can you come and point out the damage on it because he is refusing our deposit returned, he came over pointed out all the marks including both wheels thank God. 😁
They are all out to get you . 🤔 Bob.

Last edited:

DJT

Jun 20, 2019
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Now Sold
Exp
Reading about these horror stories of overcharging n stuff. Of all the scores and scores of cars we have hired in lots and lots of countrys the only issue we had is when we were charged for half a tank of petrol when we returned it full. Apart from an e-mail to them of which they ignored we never pursued it. That was Sofia, Bulgaria.
I haven’t hired scores of cars in lots of countries but have hired a few in Europe and Goldcar is definitely one to avoid without a doubt.🤨🤨
Avoid Goldcar. Yes,I’ll second that!
DJT

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Enterprise are good.
Despite repeated attempts to hire a car from them both in essex, North Devon, mid devon Plymouth etc I¡ve never managed for them to supply me with one.the unreturned phone calls. the closing whilst you are waiting for a return call.
Our last car rental was Hertz from Stansted airport, flight was delayed so wet and dark when we picked it up, although it was new the damage was not marked on the sheet so put on what we noticed, 😯 a flying visit for my dads funeral took it back the next day and although we spotted the rear wheel had a scuff never noticed the front, first thing he looked at was front nearside wheel, after furious arguments and getting to almost miss our flight, I had to walk away before I decked him, found the car cleaner and asked if he cleaned that vehicle yesterday, yes can you come and point out the damage on it because he is refusing our deposit returned, he came over pointed out all the marks including both wheels thank God. 😁
They are all out to get you . 🤔 Bob.
I had the complete opposite in Poitiers when I broke down,Bob. All damage was noted on the sheet & handed to me to check when I walked in. He even pointed out the inside the boot damage that it wouldn't even have occurred to me to check for. When I dropped it off 3 basements down in a hotel in Murcia the lad wasn't even interested as I'd had to take the excess insurance due to it being a cross border hire. I was well pleased in the end though as ADAC took the lot over & footed the bill for everything . I thought I'd be stuck with the 450€ cross border return fee but they paid the lot.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Just saying like🤔🤔
Supply and demand expect prices to rise over the school holidays. I copied this from a Guardian article

Car – up to £619​

“Car rental prices have more than doubled at several UK destinations this summer, says insurer iCarhireinsurance.com. Enterprise in Penrith will hire you a five door Ford Focus for £438 a week rising to £619 if you take all the extra insurance. The same car at Malaga airport in Spain will cost just £264 for a week”

How about a Caravan for £3800 odd per week or a Bell tent for £750
I think the OP has a bargain at these prices.

‘Prices are ridiculous’: UK holiday costs more than Europe as demand grows

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Looking at what prices are being charged I think you have a reasonable deal. Well done you 👍

Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
My wife had to fly back to UK for hospital appt whilst we were in Spain 2 summers ago... hire car from Gatwick had damage on it but Enterprise refused to mark it on the form as it was "minor". My wife refused the car saying it's only "minor" when I collect it! Gave her a completely undamaged car instead. No issues upon return. Sneaky buggers all of them dont trust them as far as I could throw them.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Are they in Uk or only Euroland???
We’ve come across them in Portugal,which we visit regularly,and have lost count of the number of times folk we have met have moaned about them. But I don’t know if it’s the fuel fiddle,or damage claims. We try and remember to take photos of any damage that might already be on a car when we pick it up,but have never had any problems with the hire car company we use,which is Marina Cars in Lagos.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Despite repeated attempts to hire a car from them both in essex, North Devon, mid devon Plymouth etc I¡ve never managed for them to supply me with one.the unreturned phone calls. the closing whilst you are waiting for a return call.

I had the complete opposite in Poitiers when I broke down,Bob. All damage was noted on the sheet & handed to me to check when I walked in. He even pointed out the inside the boot damage that it wouldn't even have occurred to me to check for. When I dropped it off 3 basements down in a hotel in Murcia the lad wasn't even interested as I'd had to take the excess insurance due to it being a cross border hire. I was well pleased in the end though as ADAC took the lot over & footed the bill for everything . I thought I'd be stuck with the 450€ cross border return fee but they paid the lot.
We have two enterprise offices in Watford both very good. I booked a car in Watford to pick up in Edinburgh then drop back in Watford a couple of weeks later. Great service with a fair price. In Europe I always use either enterprise or Sixt. Both do zero excess cover.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
My wife had to fly back to UK for hospital appt whilst we were in Spain 2 summers ago... hire car from Gatwick had damage on it but Enterprise refused to mark it on the form as it was "minor". My wife refused the car saying it's only "minor" when I collect it! Gave her a completely undamaged car instead. No issues upon return. Sneaky buggers all of them dont trust them as far as I could throw them.
I have used Enterprise a lot for business in the past maybe 2 or 3 times a week, they don't mark minor damage and have a clear damage policy, whilst there cars are normally in pretty good condition they do accept returns with minor damage and do not charge the customer.

• Bumper Damage IS: Dent/scratch larger than 6” (size of the damage evaluator), or hole/tear of any size – Report This!
  • Bumper Damage IS NOT: Scratch of any size along the underside of the bumper is OK
  • Exterior Body Damage (Non-Bumper) IS: dent/scratch larger than 2” circle, or hole/tear of any size – Report This!
  • Glass Damage IS: Any ‘Star’/crack – Report Thi

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The same car at Malaga airport in Spain will cost just £264 for a week”
there were still 70€ /week kicking about at alicante recently.

**Oh yes Goldcar. I'd heard all about them but am still amazed at the people who stillhire from them.the reason I never used them is usually the vast majority of the plane will be booked through them & I stood waiting for friends at an airport as the Goldcar queue went past 70 people, & when I left the first one still hadn't finished. With 2 serving probably in excess of 2 hours to collect a car.& that is why I'd never use them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back