Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I'am a newbie
Hi
We are going to Marjal Costa Blanca in January for 5 weeks and then move further south for another 5 weeks. We need to hire a car any recommendations

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We used a company called enjoy car hire they are brokers for other companies and they sell their own excess insurance and paid out when we had a stone hit the windsceen without any problems

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Check out moneymaxim for excess insurance cover, much much cheaper than that sold by the hirer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I've never had to use it but there is no reason why there should be a problem claiming.
Probably hire co will tell you how much simpler it would be in the event of a claim to use their cover to put pressure on for a sale.
Only you can decide, but I got stung once in Florida for it and since then always had cover from moneymaxim for about a fifth of the cost.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Look at the DoyouSpain website which shows the best deals and the cheapest way is to hire for 1 month at a time. Beware of company’s like Dickmans who take a large deposit from your credit card, something like €800 and are slow to put it back on. Some people take out the excess insurance from the AA which lasts for 1 year and costs around £40 which saves you taking out the hirers one.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Be very careful regarding insurance excesses. Always buy insurance excess insurance in UK prior to departure. Expect the Spanish hire company to take a large chunk off your credit card €1000 not unheard of. Video the car on collection, check all tyres inc spare check all keys and door locks.. avoid airport collection if possible expect to be ripped off and then anything less is a bargain. Basically it’s a trade full of crooks and con men.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Also beware of fuel policy we booked one which was full to full (good) but wanted to charge 70 euros on return to check the level(not so good!!!!!) in the small print. They seemed surprised when we canceled at no cost.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
The cdw excludes damage to tyres, lost key plus a whole list of other things. For about £20 for a single trip or £30 for a year there are several companies that provide cover that covers everything - providing you are not under the influence or racing. We always take it out as saves any hassle

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Plus you don’t then need to buy ‘cdw’ through the hire company (I believe) which makes it even less expensive

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
& many spanish hire companies when you proffer the " excess insurance" you already have either want a 1k credit on your card or refuse outright to continue unless you take out their excess insurance.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
& many spanish hire companies when you proffer the " excess insurance" you already have either want a 1k credit on your card or refuse outright to continue unless you take out their excess insurance.
As I said above, a trade full of crooks and con men.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Why should they claim off an insurance you have arranged not knowing if it will pay out of course they want a big deposit I would too!!

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
Do you Spain, always full to full, always get car from airport, local pickup is expensive, as for a crooks I've never had a problem with the company here, maybe in UK, but always OK here,

100brian

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
isle of man
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
since 1990
Do you Spain, always full to full, always get car from airport, local pickup is expensive, as for a crooks I've never had a problem with the company here, maybe in UK, but always OK here,

Plus one. Used them a couple of times.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Zest Car Hire www.zestcarrental.com are a UK-based car hire broker that year-after-year are awarded best in the business by Which? the Consumers Association. Their rates include comprehensive insurance. Having said that - as always - there are one or two exclusions. So we still have an annual policy at about £39 from insurance4carhire.

Zest are not the absolute cheapest, but they are reputable. I always use them everywhere (except the Canary Islands, where Cicar, a local company, is unbeatable).

Zest will always help with any issues that arise and are careful to work only with tried and tested local suppliers.

Alicante is about the cheapest place in Europe to rent a car.

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
We use Do you Spain for a voucher and take excess insurance cover through Moneysupermarker about £38 for a year . We have had to claim through the policy and be aware that the car hire company will deduct from your credit card and you will have to make a claim through the excess insurance policy . You will need proof of damage to claim so make sure the car is checked in on return as it is likely you will be somewhere else before you find out there is a problem . WE always photograph the car thoroughly on collection and return getting the name of the car hire person who checks the car in . Another tip is to only rent for 29 days at a time never go over 30 days . Also don’t collect to early in the day as it’s likely to be very busy , if you collect at 9am you return at 9am

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back