Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Yes and we found stuff under £5 would sell more then that no good, even then people want it for nothing. The inlaws have gone in to homes and we was trying to sell their stuff for hair cuts , chiropodist etc, found it hard work.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Boot sales if you just want shot of stuff.. don't expect anything like it's true value.. best for buying bargains.

For selling more valuable stuff, I use eBay, Gumtree, Preloved etc.

or you could try an Auction house .. do a search there should be one close to you , you pay a sellers fee , usually around 15% - 20%

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Take it to a busy regular car boot sale where the crowds go. Ask for a little more than you really want as most people like the fun of haggling so they think they are getting a bargain and you get the lower price and sale.☺

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
An auction house has a sellers fee, vat, and if an electrical appliance they charge for a pat test will not accept any other only their electrician pat test. At the boot sales you see the same faces coming around diving in your stuff as you unload first thing in the morning.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Lots of facebook groups.. Just do a search... Loads of stuff being sold on there..
Gumtree also can get some good results..

car boot, you can stand all day and do bugger all if you dont have the right stuff, Straps and airlines i would not think are car boot items...

Anyway, I have one that starts up for 13 weeks prior to Christmas in the field opposite my house !! Love it when I do some selling there as Irene can walk over with my breakfast.. lol

OP
OP
Flyingscotsman2
Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
An auction house has a sellers fee, vat, and if an electrical appliance they charge for a pat test will not accept any other only their electrician pat test. At the boot sales you see the same faces coming around diving in your stuff as you unload first thing in the morning.
Ok

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
If you have straps etc is it worth going to a boot sale and find a stall that only sells tools and workshop equipment etc and ask if they would buy the lot. I know you will get nothing like you value it at, but a lot less hassle. They could come to you and collect save wrecking your car .

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
never sold anything from a CBS but bought plenty :DI could not be asrsed to put up with all the I'll give you 50p for a quid item lot -Son did one and a bloke kept asking to buy his flask -kept saying it's not for sale :)he ended up jumping on it and gave the man it :Dhe was lucky it was not the blokes head he jumped on :ROFLMAO::DSon said he will never do another -too much stress :)
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Try Tecno's quick sale shots ;)(y)You never know :)
terry

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
like to go to them. and always buy something u/s. I would not like to sell something at one. the arguments that go on about a £1 or 50p would be to much for me. I would have to take dawnb and mikeb.with me.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Don't expect to sell much for over a tenner at a car boot sale. I've done quite a few and have usually brought home £50 -70 but only by selling old junk as cheap as chips. Anything tasty that's not too heavy to post I'd put on eBay. Don't rule out selling knackered electricals on eBay for spares/repairs, eg mobile phones, remotes, old digital cameras. If you've got books, mags, DVDs etc lay them out flat on a tarp, don't leave them in boxes, as most people can't be arsed sorting through a box.

My favourite car boots as a buyer aren't the regular large weekly ones which are full of white van men selling the same tat every week for silly prices, but the one-off large ones that sometimes happen with local festivals, or on the playing fields of local schools. The only problem with selling at a regular huge one is competition. If you're going, get in early and set up near the customer entrance if possible.

Don't expect an auction house to sell individual items unless they've got some real earning potential. More often than not they'll put them in job lots. They don't usually accept reserves on items below a certain estimated value. If their sales are midweek you won't get as good a price as at a weekend sale, because midweek it's dealers (like me) looking for bargain-priced stock, whereas at weekends the collectors turn up and will pay a bit more. If an auction doesn't have at least two people who want your item bidding against each other, don't expect a high price for it. The minimum bid may only be a tenner, and you may have to pay flat rate commission of a fiver on sales below (say) £25. As a regular auction buyer I'm not sure I'd sell anything at an auction that wasn't seriously valuable and very rare, in which case I'd go to a posh auctioneer first like Bonham's or Christies. Local auctions are OK for piling old junk in a box and hoping someone will pay something (anything) for the lot but unless it's hidden treasure the sale price won't blow your socks off.

If Car Boots or Auctions don't work, give it to a charity shop and be done with it. They'll sell what they can then auction or bin the rest.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We've done car boots, sold loads of stuff on eBay and now just got into Gumtree.
EBay definitely for something that might have value and can be posted. It's got the biggest number of people "shopping" so in theory you should get the best price. Good photos essential to get the best price. I'm selling a few guitars at the moment and they will all go on eBay.
Car boot for stuff that's only going to sell for a few quid (or pence) if you've got plenty of it, all the pennies add up. As said above don't expect to get what it's worth, and don't take along anything valuable, nobody goes to a car boot with loads of cash in their pockets. If we have anything unsold after a car boot we usually go home via the council tip to get rid of the leftovers - if you can't sell it at a car boot you're either asking too much or it's worthless.
I've been pleasantly surprised by Gumtree. I'm selling loads of bulky/heavy tools and stuff out of the garage and the shed and people are BUYING it. Even better they come and collect it and pay cash. And it's FREE!
I'm starting on all those kitchen gadgets next. You know the ones - guaranteed to do something quicker or better than the old way. You use them a couple of times, find they are a faff and bury them at the back of a cupboard.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When I used to grow a lot of plants from seed/cuttings we used to do car boot sales and made enough to pay for my seeds, compost &c each year. Second hand books (Jill had a lot in good condition) also went well. Other stuff can be difficult to shift as others have said.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Funny how different things sell in parts of the country. We had loads of books hard backs in good condition on sewing etc, old books, books on war aircrafts and technical stuff as father inlaw was air craft fitter in the war. 20p each and we struggled to get that , some were less.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Years ago my best friend and I decided to have a clear out of the kids stuff and general household unwanteds.

We arrived early in her car, parked and were immediately swarmed with people, we tried to get the pasting table put up and place our carefully sorted boxes of stuff out, but people were grabbing and pawing through our stuff, shouting "how much for this? What do you want for that?" It was carnage.

We quickly retreated to the car, it was a little like the monkeys at longleat, very threatening. When they had all wandered off to some other victims we tried again.

We then spent a few hours buying each other's stuff " oh don't you want that anymore? I'll give you 50p" I've always loved your toilet roll holder etc"
We also made the mistake of each manning the stall so the other could "have a quick look".
Of course we both came home with more crap than we left with.

Monday evening, Sarah rings me up..

" you haven't seen Robert's coat have you"

"Which one, what's it like?"

"His ridiculously expensive prep school crested black winter term colours, brand new one, it was in the back of the car"

I pause for thought, my next words could very possibly ruin a good friendship...

"Um yeah, I think I may have sold that for 20p"

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
One of the things not to sell for peanuts is unused recording or photographic media like out of date 35mm and 8mm cine films, DV camera tapes, audio cassettes and the like - the more obscure format the better. People still use them.

Not long ago I sold a 20 exposure pack of unused well out of date Polaroid film for £70 to someone in France on eBay, because nobody makes it any more. Old 126 instamatic film cartridges go for around £8 apiece, and the smaller 110 cartridges can get £4 each. The 50ft reels of old unused 8mm cine film will fetch you about £10 each online and they cost peanuts to post.

Worth thinking about, eh Funsters? PM me if you find any of the above in quantity when having a clear out ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back