Car-A-Tow (1 Viewer)

V

vanessa

Deleted User
We have a French neighbour who wants to fit one of these to his small car and motorhome.

Please could some kind soul let me know the address and telephone number of a firm that fits them?

Many thanks
:Smile:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi Vanessa

Do a search on MHfun, there was a thread about them recently. There is another firm over here called Chris Cox who also fit them

stew

OP
OP
V

vanessa

Deleted User
Brilliant, thank you so much!:thumb:

Like PappaJohn, I'd never have found it - no wonder my Googling didn't help me any:RollEyes: Yell wasn't any better!!

I thought they were on Blandford Road, as I remember taking my sister to get hers fitted YEARS ago when I lived near Poole, but couldn't find them no matter what I searched under.

Great! Now I have the address and a phone number to give to our French friend.:thumb::thumb:

Phoenix

Free Member
Aug 24, 2007
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Hi Vanessa,
Pro-Tow are still in Poole at:
Stepnell Reach, Unit 1
565 Blandford Rd, Poole, BH16 5BW
01202 632456

Chris

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We have a French neighbour who wants to fit one of these to his small car and motorhome.

Please could some kind soul let me know the address and telephone number of a firm that fits them?

Many thanks
:Smile:

hi vanessa,

i was under the impression the gendarmerie where very strict on the use of A frames.....ie...not allowed. :Confused:

i wish someone could actually verify the situation as i wouldlike to take my support vehicle ,to give it it's proper name, with me to france this year but as the only driver it could be a problem if we got stopped and they refused to allow us to continue with the toad attached..

it would appear the fitters are based elsewhere. not in poole.

thanks to moandick for the new link to caratow.....:thumb:

john.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

vanessa

Deleted User
Our French friend is very well aware that toads are illegal in France. He (stupidly in my opinion, but he's entitled to take his own risks in life!) intends telling the Gendarmes where they can stick their unilateral rules, "we're in Europe now":Eeek::roflmto:

He's 60, just retired from running his own (very profitable) karting circuit, and before that he was Alain Prost's chief mechanic ... so fines won't bother him one jot! Mind you, with his planned "lippy" attitude, he could face more than hefty fines:Doh:

I believe (and we see quite a few toads in the summer months) that the Gendarmes are OK about a UK registered set-up. Don't quote me, mind, as I haven't spoken to a Gendarme about this.:winky: There are other towing laws that are different in the UK to in France (namely that anything over 750kg needs it's own licence plate), and Brits are not pulled-up for failing to comply with THAT reg.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Hi Vanessa

Years ago we had an artic on it's way back from Italy when the engine died, near Pont Dian a garage that we used very often allowed us to use a rigid tow bar so that the disabled vehicle could be towed with the bar firmly fixed and air lines attached so that the whole outfit was braked.

We made it ok up to the last peage before Paris when the Gendarmes stopped us and we had to leave the striken vehicle there. They did not fine us and we were allowed to continue to LeHarve where we dropped the trailer and went back for the other trailer. The gendarmes would not allow us in any shape or form to move the dead tractor unit but said that they would allow a Frenchman in a French vehicle to tow it but not on the autoroute!! So I had to pay a Frenchman in LeHavre to tow it back for me! That was some 23 years ago though god I'm getting old:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

So there are some strange rules in France also when we did some Convoi Exceptional ( Wide Load) loads you were also not allowed to use the autoroutes and had designated 'Convoi Exceptional' routes some of which were on fairly narrow roads!

Finally they (the Gendarmes) had a fairly relaxed view of fines you could have an official or unofficial fine depending on if you required a reciept:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: These always seemed to be more prelavent as Christmas approached!

Regards Pat

Last edited:

muz

Free Member
Nov 15, 2007
eastwood notts
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
10 years
a frames

hi,i use towtal at stoke on trent they are fantastic people cant do enough for you.just had a braked a frame fitted on my merc vaneo picked it up today from them.it was all ready waiting on the forcourt for me to connect and go.
they also offer all the eu rules and laws in all different languages to give plod to read if you get stopped.

.A frames are legal and they give you it in black and white.they put all the details on there website for all to read.i have no ties with towtal only a well satisfied customer.two cars done great prices and service how it should be.highly recomend.MUZ:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back