Car A Tow fitting instructions needed (1 Viewer)

Jan 1, 2013
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
since May 2013
Hello all, We've just bought a 2nd hand Car A Tow braked A frame through Ebay and I was hoping someone on here might be able to share a copy of the relevant fitting instructions? We're expecting to have to buy additional parts from Car A Tow, but if we can get hold of the instructions first, it would enable us to order everything at once as well as give a clear idea of how to actually fit it to the car. Hoping a Funster on here will be able to help,thank you! :*

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Hi JACQ, we have a Car-A-Tow frame which we use on a Ford Ka.

Your frame will probably be fairly standard but the equipment which it attaches to on the toad will depend on what car you have.

I have instructions for attaching the frame to the car but not for the neccessary work on the car to fit the attachments..

Yor avatar says you are not far away from us here near Watton (Saham Toney), so you are welcome to call in to see our set-up.

OP
OP
JACQ
Jan 1, 2013
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
since May 2013
Hi JACQ, we have a Car-A-Tow frame which we use on a Ford Ka.

Your frame will probably be fairly standard but the equipment which it attaches to on the toad will depend on what car you have.

I have instructions for attaching the frame to the car but not for the neccessary work on the car to fit the attachments..

Yor avatar says you are not far away from us here near Watton (Saham Toney), so you are welcome to call in to see our set-up.

Thank you for your offer, we may well take you up on that! We are picking the A frame up today from the seller so we'll see exactly what we're getting and then give the company a call to see if they can advise us what extras we'll need. A look at your set up might be really useful for my husband, who is the lucky person nominated to fit it! Did you fit it yourself or have it fitted?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi,go on to caratow website they have all the bits you may need and you can download parts and instruction guide ,what car have bought to tow? as there may be welding required but I think thats rare

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Thank you for your offer, we may well take you up on that! We are picking the A frame up today from the seller so we'll see exactly what we're getting and then give the company a call to see if they can advise us what extras we'll need. A look at your set up might be really useful for my husband, who is the lucky person nominated to fit it! Did you fit it yourself or have it fitted?

I didn't fit it myself but had it supplied and fitted by Southern Towing in Poole.

OP
OP
JACQ
Jan 1, 2013
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
since May 2013
We will be fitting it to our Citroen C1. We've collected it and it seems in good order. Bernie is going to speak to Car a Tow to discuss the extras we'll need. I may well send you a PM icantremember. Thank you for your help

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I don't know much about the Citroen C1 .... our set-up is bolted to the car chassis, I'm not very happy with the way some are fitted to the car's towing eyes as these are not designed for long term towing and could pull away. It is also vital that the connections to the a-frame are central and perfectly square to the car or it will tend to drag at an angle and wear the tyres.
As said, if I can offer any help , then you are welcome to make contact. Brian

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We had a caratow a frame, and when I contacted them about fitting the bracket and electrics on the car, they wanted £460 so I sold the a frame a got a trailer. :D Bob.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We had a caratow a frame, and when I contacted them about fitting the bracket and electrics on the car, they wanted £460 so I sold the a frame a got a trailer. :D Bob.
Tight git ...... oops, sorry does that contravene Rule #1;)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Even though you have bought the hitch, there is a major part of the bracket that is specific to each vehicle, and this is quite expensive (around £170 for parts only).
Having watched Andrew (mobile caratow fitter, does Airides too) it seems quite straightforward, though ours was on a brand new car so no rusted bolts and fragile clips to deal with.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
plus dont forget you will now have to budget for an electric braking system to fit too. the over-run hitch brake is not legal from september on non centre axle trailers

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
plus dont forget you will now have to budget for an electric braking system to fit too. the over-run hitch brake is not legal from september on non centre axle trailers

Big1 .. Where is this legislation.. Is it retrospective.. And can you confirm that centre axle includes two axles under 1m apart. How will this affect caravans?

Last edited:
OP
OP
JACQ
Jan 1, 2013
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
since May 2013
Both Car A Tow and Towtal websites have updates regarding proposed new legislation and indications appear to be that it will not be retrospective. Alan at Car A Tow has been most helpful and is in the process of compiling list and price of extras we will need which will include the expensive chassis bracket reallyretired mentions.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Ok.. Having had a little read this is European legislation... We currently don't prosecute in the UK for any traffic matters using anything except British legislation.. That would need to be amended to incorporate any European directive..
Amendments are not automatic as far as I'm aware..
Its all a bit of a mish mash innit...
#getoutofeuropequick ;)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Just to chuck in another bit into this already confused subject. Some of the electrical systems such as Brake Buddy, apply proportional braking because they are operated by inertia. These may therefore be no more 'legal' than those using cable braking from an inertia operated hitch. A system running from the brake light circuit (if such exists) would not be proportional.
In addition the electric braking systems use the towcars battery to operate, and small towcars tend to have small batteries. Our Suzukis battery is tiny, I think I've seen bigger ones in a torch:blusher:. Towing for long distances could possibly lead to total brake failure.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back