Capacity of van charging system? (1 Viewer)

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
So, I need a new habitation battery. The old one is a 120 AH battery, and I was planning to replace it with the same, but it occurs to me I ought to check if the van charging system has the capacity to cope with this?

When I bought a battery charger recently to charge my boat leisure battery I had to pay more for one that had the capacity to charge a 100 AH battery - presumably the van system will have a limit - how do I find out what it is?

Van is a Compass Avantgarde 400 RL, '02 plate. I'm not sure if the battery I'm replacing was the original or not.

All advice welcomed, as usual.

Mike

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Within reason, the size of your battery bank won't be a problem..if you increase the battery ah it will just take longer to reach full charge ..

For example...

if it takes a 20A charger 5 hrs to charge a 100ah battery, it will take 10 hrs to charge a 200ah battery.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Thanks ScotJim.

Not doubting you, but maybe I've been misinformed then? I understood that if the charger wasn't "man enough" it wouldn't charge at all.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the original analogue power supply/charger in my RV was rated at 45amps to provide 12v power on hookup, but only 2 to 5amps were diverted to battery charging.......the battery bank is 440ah.

to charge from 50% capacity would take around 44hrs but it worked.

now replaced with a modern 45amp electronic 4 stage charger/power supply which will charge at up to 45amps on flat batteries.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
As previously mentioned, regardless of the size of your battery bank it is still a nominal 12v. As long as the charger produces a higher voltage than the batteries it will charge them. A charger with a higher output (amps) will charge them faster but however titchy your charger it will get there eventually.:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Many thanks all.

New 105 AH leisure battery bought from Autoplus in Norton - £69.00

Really helpful staff and good prices, would recommend to anyone in this area.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Hmm - never looked at the website Pappajohn. If I had, and it is as bad as you say, maybe I would have been put off - which goes to show something, I guess, not sure what!

Edit: Had a look and you're right - absolutely useless website. I wonder if they know that the links don't work?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back