Canterbury park and ride (1 Viewer)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We used this last year just after Christmas and as we will travelling early morning after Christmas again this year thought I would check price.
Arrive afternoon and leave early morning-4.30 ish- this is now £6 due to being 2 calendar days ,which is double what it was last year.
So I will be going straight to tunnel.

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I agree but not as good as when it was 24 hour charge.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We used this last year just after Christmas and as we will travelling early morning after Christmas again this year thought I would check price.
Arrive afternoon and leave early morning-4.30 ish- this is now £6 due to being 2 calendar days ,which is double what it was last year.

We're here now and it's brilliant - just got back to van after catching the bus into Canterbury - all for £3 a day! If only all UK towns and cities would put dedicated MH bays in their Park and Rides, we'de use them all!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If you arrive after 4pm its only £1 for the first bit till midnight so £4

joe

^^^^What he said. Arrive after 4pm ,then only £4 .+ free bus for 6 people as often as you wish. Good Lord it's the only place I use public transport ! :xlaugh:

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
lived in kent for the last 30 years but only use the buses from Canterbury P&R and then from Canterbury, have now seen a lot more of Kent by using various buses from Canterbury Bus Station, especially now we've got our OAP bus passes! Just wish we lived in London and then we could use all forms of public transport including trains, tubes & DLR.

Joe

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Wife has a cousin living in London and she finds it a great asset with free travel on all forms of transport. We only get the bus free and even that never scans but we get nodded through after holding up the queue. Tried scanning my driving licence once, wondered why it didn't work, the driver just raised his eyes heavenward. :xblink:

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning

Wow I am thrifty and my missus is scrooges 1st born. But your taking it to another level. Safe place to park free unlimited bus travel for the price of a pint. That in anyone's world is a bargain

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We stayed there for the first time a couple of weeks ago before getting the Chunnel- I think it's a fabulous facility for the price. A big plus is the lovely warm loos and a great pub just at the entrance. During the night we heard some dogs barking but didn't think too much of it. It turned out that some yobs had decided to try to rob the paystation. Due to the site having cameras installed and monitored, the police and dogs were there before the yobs got away and arrested all 3 of them. This resulted in the pay station not being useable so the attendant left the barrier open so we could leave when we wanted. We will definitely use this again. Well done Canterbury. (y)

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Oh dear !!!!! A WHOLE £6 .for overnight parking .loos .showers water and dump .. And free bus travel .disgusting. . Good lord its the end of the world ....

Reactions: Les

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
That could be said about anything where the price has risen couldn't it :)
Hopefully if Canterbury can show that the facility can pay its way it will encourage other councils to consider investing :xThumb:
We use the aire at Bury St Edmunds regularly. Parking for 5 motorhomes in the main car park for £1 a night. No service point but a very clean toilet block at the entrance to the car park and a superb Indian Restaurant a few minutes walk away.
Not sure Canterbury aire comes anywhere close to paying its way, but he council were forward thinking enough to provide a facility without profit in mind.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I agree with others £6 and free bus is well worth it!
Some Aires in France are much more and can be an untreated bit of wasteland( Honfleur and Crotoy come to mind)
In the scheme of things £6 is nowt ,and I'm a Yorkshire brought up lass!!

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I agree with others £6 and free bus is well worth it!
Some Aires in France are much more and can be an untreated bit of wasteland( Honfleur and Crotoy come to mind)
In the scheme of things £6 is nowt ,and I'm a Yorkshire brought up lass!!
Honfleur €11 for sod all other than location ..Canterbury €7 for everything..no brainer is it .??

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
Don't forget that you can save 20% on the P+R if you get a discount card, could be worth it if using the aire a few times a year.

Link Removed

I know most people are just stopping en route to the continent or using the bus to the city but you can also do footpath walks from there. For example, just across the road you could pick up the North Downs Way, switch to the Elham Valley Way at Partixbourne, walk to the Black Robin at Kingston for lunch then return via the North Downs Way. That is a total of around 17km, so about 4 hours walking plus an hour for lunch, or cut it short at Kingston and catch the bus back.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Safe place to park free unlimited bus travel for the price of a pint.
Good Grief! If you're paying £6 a pint you're drinking in the wrong pub - or maybe just living in the wrong county.
:eek::eek::eek:

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010

I am amazed your think this is expensive,and are going to miss it out.Hav`nt you used campsites in the UK? Now they
are expensive!
We have only used the Canterbury park and ride once,but
we will be back as its very good value!:xThumb:

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I am amazed your think this is expensive,and are going to miss it out.Hav`nt you used campsites in the UK? Now they
are expensive!
We have only used the Canterbury park and ride once,but
we will be back as its very good value!:xThumb:
I know it's not expensive but when I used it last the ticket was for 24 hours which suited me better, as I would only be using maybe 2 to 3 hours of the second day.
Yes I've used campsites in the U.K. and they are expensive,that is why we're going house sitting in France for 2 1/2 months.

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
I knew the minute you wrote this that you would get plenty of incoming flak, keep smiling:xThumb:

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Good Grief! If you're paying £6 a pint you're drinking in the wrong pub - or maybe just living in the wrong county.
:eek::eek::eek:

Ah I didnt say a pint of what though did I but i have paid over a fiver for a pint here in Good old expensive Sussex by the sea. Luckily I am pretty much tea total so save loads of money and squander it on aires at 6 quid a pop

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
I know it's not expensive but when I used it last the ticket was for 24 hours which suited me better, as I would only be using maybe 2 to 3 hours of the second day.
Yes I've used campsites in the U.K. and they are expensive,that is why we're going house sitting in France for 2 1/2 months.

Lucky you,I wish we could go to France for that long!

Enjoy,I hope you have a lovely time!:xThumb:

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Now I've been told about , £1 after 4pm, I will be using the park and ride, because I'm a tight git !
So now what's the best route from P&R too eurotunnel, as last time I did it there was a diversion to get too the tunnel terminal and had to do a lot off small roads an go there just in time.

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Arrive after 4pm, stay, 2 nights for the cost of £7. Now that is a bargin at £3.50 a night and no need to leave by 12 like most sites :xThumb:

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
Now I've been told about , £1 after 4pm, I will be using the park and ride, because I'm a tight git !
So now what's the best route from P&R too eurotunnel, as last time I did it there was a diversion to get too the tunnel terminal and had to do a lot off small roads an go there just in time.

The shortest way is to go down Stone Street to J11 of the M20. From the P+R you turn first left and go down the Old Dover Road towards Canterbury, this has some speed bumps so take it steady but you are only going a short distance. After the Girls Grammar School turn left towards Hythe and this road takes you to J11 of the M20. However, do not take this route in the near future without checking as the lower end of Stone Street is currently closed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back