NIGELB

Free Member
Jul 8, 2010
CO DURHAM
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT
Exp
hi im a new member just started motorhoming my first tour is or honeymoon in scotland,maybe does not sound romantic to some but we have decided to get married after 17 years together..we have built this old girl between us from a rotten wreck.i found this sight and cant put the computer down its so interesting.im going for the west side so any tips would be helpful .we start out on the 19th july from gretna green,thanks nigel.:Blush:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
.i found this sight and cant put the computer down its so interesting.

Oh dear.

You're hooked.

Not good for marriage, the computer is "the other woman". Though usually it's a compromise, she gets hours of brain dead soaps and he gets mental stimulation on the computer and thereby remains sane.

There must be great satisfaction building your own and if it goes wrong you can fix it easily. You'll spot a few others in your exclusive club in here. Some nice pictures of them too.

Can't help you with the west side, everyone raves about it but I've only done the east up to Inverness and that's grand too. The whisky trail ! Glen Shee. Balmoral. The Cairngorms.

Have FUN.

kkclassic

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
South Coast
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
hi im a new member just started motorhoming my first tour is or honeymoon in scotland,maybe does not sound romantic to some but we have decided to get married after 17 years together..we have built this old girl between us from a rotten wreck.i found this sight and cant put the computer down its so interesting.im going for the west side so any tips would be helpful .we start out on the 19th july from gretna green,thanks nigel.:Blush:

I would have thought after 17 years you wouldnt need any tips :Blush: but hey ho as they say you could always try this site for any hints and tips courtesy of Scotjimland http://www.scottishcampingguide.com/index.php

kevin and tricia

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Nigel :welcome:

In our opinion you have chosen a good place to start Scotland is a magic place. There is only one problem once it gets hold of you, it don't let go.

Very difficult to suggest any part as being better than the rest, West Coast wonderful scenic area, any part you will enjoy, right up as far as you can go north, would also recommend the centre also.

North more rugged but can be hauntingly beautiful in any weather. We have been visiting for years and never tire of it.

Scotland is bigger than many people think, but you should enjoy it all.

Best of luck with your trip

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
west coast of Scotland

Welcome NigelB, we have just got home from touring around Scotland for a month so have it all stilll very fresh in our minds.
It`s amazing how after driving through the busy traffic of Glasgow you go over the Erskine bridge start the drive alongside Loch Lommand and you are suddenly alone, where does all that traffic disappear to.

The west coast is fantastic and will keep you busy forever, there are really no bad places, are you intending to wild camp or use campsites, we did both. there are some stunning places to stay the night, the Caravan club camp sites are very clean though some run with just too many rules, whilst their cl sites are in amazing private locations.
We didn`t book in advance into any campsites, there are just too many distractions to work to a fixed plan.
You will be just fine taking it as it comes.
There places that you shouldn`t miss "Applecross" for instance but no point in heading there and finding that the weather prevents you from seeing the spectacular views that the very isolated Applecross has to offer.
There is a fish restuarant at Tarbet (in the highlands aboce Scourie) you can stay in the carpark there after enjoying their most excellent food.
Clactoll is an excellent site on the shores of a fantastic beach, and then you have the Isle of Skye, quite different from the mainland, so just go and enjoy it`s a fantastic place, just remember something we read, take lots of photos and leave only footprints. :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Hi

IMO , you couldn't choose a more romantic place to spend your honeymoon.. :thumb:

I spent my fist honeymoon, almost 40 years ago, on the small isle of Raasay , just of the coast of Skye..

In those days there was no ferry, you had to hitch a lift on a fishing boat, no shops, no hotel, no cars .. in fact nothing except a shepherds cottage which a friend let to us for a week... pure heaven..

Second honeymoon in 1987 spent near Oban .. but camping this time and it rained non stop for 10 days.. could have been worse , could have been 14 :roflmto: It certainly didn't put Jan off.. 23 years of camping and motorhoming and we are going to the north west in two weeks, camping again, here is one of the sites we will use.. if you like out of the way, deserted beach, great fishing .. this ticks the boxes..

Clachtoll Beach Campsite
Clachtoll
Lochinver
Highlands
IV27 4JD

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Clachtoll+Beach+Campsite++Clachtoll&sll=52.024664,1.413001&sspn=0.054081,0.167027&ie=UTF8&hq=Clachtoll+Beach+Campsite&hnear=Clachtoll,+Highland,+United+Kingdom&ll=58.619777,-4.394531&spn=5.862339,21.379395&z=6&iwloc=A

Regarding camp sites, this site is very good http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Hi

IMO , you couldn't choose a more romantic place to spend your honeymoon.. :thumb:

I spent my fist honeymoon, almost 40 years ago, on the small isle of Raasay , just of the coast of Skye..

In those days there was no ferry, you had to hitch a lift on a fishing boat, no shops, no hotel, no cars .. in fact nothing except a shepherds cottage which a friend let to us for a week... pure heaven..

Second honeymoon in 1987 spent near Oban .. but camping this time and it rained non stop for 10 days.. could have been worse , could have been 14 :roflmto: It certainly didn't put Jan off.. 23 years of camping and motorhoming and we are going to the north west in two weeks, camping again, here is one of the sites we will use.. if you like out of the way, deserted beach, great fishing .. this ticks the boxes..

Clachtoll Beach Campsite
Clachtoll
Lochinver
Highlands
IV27 4JD

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Clachtoll+Beach+Campsite++Clachtoll&sll=52.024664,1.413001&sspn=0.054081,0.167027&ie=UTF8&hq=Clachtoll+Beach+Campsite&hnear=Clachtoll,+Highland,+United+Kingdom&ll=58.619777,-4.394531&spn=5.862339,21.379395&z=6&iwloc=A

Regarding camp sites, this site is very good http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/

We have been to Clachtoll Beach a few times. Jim (the owner) is a top guy and will help you out no problem.
Stunning views, stunning beaches, problem is you will think you are in Greece or somewhere. Ive said it before and I will say it again, YOU MUST EAT A PIE FROM LOCHINVER PIE SHOP if you are up that way. Also don't discount applecross, and that little bit. Simply stunning, as is most of the west coast.
Nikki and I have long term plans to tour and live in the West coast of Scotland as soon as we have retired or made enough money to retire,

try reading back through my Blog of the two rolling meets I have done to clachtoll.

24 years to go and counting:Blush::Blush:

Oh and congratulations on your wedding.:thumb:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
West coast of Scotland
doesnt that mean the
Mighty scottish midge
and
Avon so soft

Congratulations on your marriage and enjoy your honeymoon

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
hmm.. not if this mob in power get their way...:RollEyes:

shop till you drop will be replaced by ... graft till you drop dead :Sad:

If we get political. Who left us in the sh**. Someone has to pay the way, beg steal and borrow has to come to an end. I personally would not have had that shower in for the last 12 years. Jane

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Oh dear.

You're hooked.

Not good for marriage, the computer is "the other woman". Though usually it's a compromise, she gets hours of brain dead soaps and he gets mental stimulation on the computer and thereby remains sane.

There must be great satisfaction building your own and if it goes wrong you can fix it easily. You'll spot a few others in your exclusive club in here. Some nice pictures of them too.

Can't help you with the west side, everyone raves about it but I've only done the east up to Inverness and that's grand too. The whisky trail ! Glen Shee. Balmoral. The Cairngorms.

Have FUN.

Not every female person watches hour of brain dead soaps, or brain dead sport come to that. Jane

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Oh, sorry, the thread got hijacked! Have a wonderful time, it is your honeymoon and do what you want. DO watch out for those midges though, any chemist will sell you a soothing cream, just walk in the door and they will know what you need! I know because we did it when we motorcycled up there on the Goldwing in 1982. Must be time to do it again! Jane :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
welcome to the fun and congratulations on your long overdue wedding. :winky:

west coast of Scotland in july= MIDGES !!!!

take plenty of Avon 'skin so soft' (green) or you'll be eaten alive. :Eeek:

OP
OP
NIGELB

NIGELB

Free Member
Jul 8, 2010
CO DURHAM
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT
Exp
midges

welcome to the fun and congratulations on your long overdue wedding. :winky:

west coast of Scotland in july= MIDGES !!!!

take plenty of Avon 'skin so soft' (green) or you'll be eaten alive. :Eeek:
Iam used to mozzies dont bother me but love karen hope its the same with midges,supposed to keep my hands clean for the wedding but have rubbed the motor home cab down today and colour coded the bumper weather permitting get top coat on tommorow. thanks for all the feedback feels like been on more than a day,

billy

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009

Well you can't go through life being happy can you :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
The only thing left to do now is pay your £12.00 subscription and become a full funster :thumb::thumb:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Welcome to motorhome fun

what ever you do DONT take the laptop on honeymoon xxxxxx

or the divorce papers will be with you by xmas no matter how much you love each other xxxxxxxxxxx :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
NIGELB

NIGELB

Free Member
Jul 8, 2010
CO DURHAM
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT
Exp
ho ho

Are you speaking from experience,?i have been up since 6.a m sanding the cab down finnishing touches.

Maurice & Val

Free Member
Jul 4, 2010
Hornsea, East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
25+ years
If you get the chance go to the Outer Hebrides. Wild camping allowed and you won't get much more remote than there. Our 2 favourites spots were the beach at Uig on the west side of Harris (perfect for kite flying) and the northern most tip of Lewis at Ness, the beach there was brilliant watching the Atlantic breakers in February (from the warmth of the van which had to be tied down) (yep that's the van tied down, not the awning).
We've been a few times now and it's one of our favourite places in Scotland. (Does help having friends who move there a while back, somewhere to shelter when the storm gales arrive)

OP
OP
NIGELB

NIGELB

Free Member
Jul 8, 2010
CO DURHAM
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT
Exp
THAT SOUNDS WILD

If you get the chance go to the Outer Hebrides. Wild camping allowed and you won't get much more remote than there. Our 2 favourites spots were the beach at Uig on the west side of Harris (perfect for kite flying) and the northern most tip of Lewis at Ness, the beach there was brilliant watching the Atlantic breakers in February (from the warmth of the van which had to be tied down) (yep that's the van tied down, not the awning).
We've been a few times now and it's one of our favourite places in Scotland. (Does help having friends who move there a while back, somewhere to shelter when the storm gales arrive)
Thanks for that i will get some straps just in case.At least i have plenty tips and it will save me wondering around and missing sights,i will be taking my laptop even if to transfer photos off the camera.Seems like everyone has a good word for scotland.:thumb:

OP
OP
NIGELB

NIGELB

Free Member
Jul 8, 2010
CO DURHAM
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT
Exp
bolton

Where abouts? (Good folk down here):thumb:
regent street heywood .mechanicaly it was ok but the body was rotten ,the cooker came from huddersfield new,upholstery from wigan write off hobby caravan 09,boards and trims from beverley[olearys].interior cupboards etc spennymoor,and ebay has been great help.alluminium germany.most of it i travelled and picked up myself olearys is worth a look like alladins cave.hope it goes ok next week thanks nigel.:thumb:

billy

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009
regent street heywood .mechanicaly it was ok but the body was rotten ,the cooker came from huddersfield new,upholstery from wigan write off hobby caravan 09,boards and trims from beverley[olearys].interior cupboards etc spennymoor,and ebay has been great help.alluminium germany.most of it i travelled and picked up myself olearys is worth a look like alladins cave.hope it goes ok next week thanks nigel.:thumb:

Hi Nigel
It sounds like you have done a good job on your motorhome hope to see some pictures when you return from your honeymoon (we like pictures on here).:thumb:
You have got a good girl there Nigel who shares your interests and is willing to muck in.:thumb:
All the best on your honeymoon everything will go okay and both of you have great time.:winky::thumb:

billy

p.s. Glad you became a funster:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
Hi nigel.I have the pleasure of living in the beautiful part of the country you intend to visit.I live in dumfries,and as you're getting married in gretna,dumfries and galloway has to be your first stop,then there's ayr from there loch lomond on to oban then you can get a calmac ferry to the islands or just carry on further up into the beautiful mountain country.Wherever you go I an guarantee breath taking beauty and quite possibly midges so remember the repellent and enjoy every minute:thumb:all the best barry

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Like all the other posts go up the West Coast then down the middle I spent 2 weeks in June at Longleat and the Cotswalds but i need my yearly fix so we are of on tour for 2 weeks 16th Aug all over Gods Country

Bill :thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
NIGELB

NIGELB

Free Member
Jul 8, 2010
CO DURHAM
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT
Exp
DUMFRIES.

Hi nigel.I have the pleasure of living in the beautiful part of the country you intend to visit.I live in dumfries,and as you're getting married in gretna,dumfries and galloway has to be your first stop,then there's ayr from there loch lomond on to oban then you can get a calmac ferry to the islands or just carry on further up into the beautiful mountain country.Wherever you go I an guarantee breath taking beauty and quite possibly midges so remember the repellent and enjoy every minute:thumb:all the best barry
THANKS BARRY,i have had the pleasure of your area and your right it is beautiful we intend to get higher than glasgow,reason never been that far up on the west coast,i have done john o groats on a motorbike,and i know your area pretty well we were camping at kipford last august when we got washed out and thats when we decided to get a motorhome.i rode the mountain bike track one of the 7 staines at kipford,and cycled on tracks from rockcliffe to kipford.i stayed with my parents at sandyhills in the old huts on the beach and before the swiss chalets were built that when sandyhills lived up to thier names,i have also stayed at dalbeatie caravan site and had a friend who lived there and we used to hitch to dumfries and back bought my first single seven seas of rye [queen] from a cafe from the dukebox.great place .:thumb:

OP
OP
NIGELB

NIGELB

Free Member
Jul 8, 2010
CO DURHAM
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT
Exp
will do

Like all the other posts go up the West Coast then down the middle I spent 2 weeks in June at Longleat and the Cotswalds but i need my yearly fix so we are of on tour for 2 weeks 16th Aug all over Gods Country

Bill :thumb::thumb:
that looks like the plan but who knows what the future holds we will see how far up we get,the midges sound fearce karen has mentioned it to me that she does not look forward to getting bitten.the cotswolds are loveley my late mothers favourite place she once had chance to buy the little cottage called ten penny cottage years ago but dad wouldnt, its on all the biscuit tins.enjoy your retirement do you go on line when your on tour ?nigel.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back