Free Member
Jun 23, 2014
North East England
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've recently bought a motorhome for the first time and would welcome some advice. It's a 2003 Swift Suntor 6 birth with a Fiat 2.8 engine. When I unwind the canopy it drops to about 4ft in height so could someone please inform me whether there should be poles at each end to prop it up. If so does anyone know where I can obtain them from.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hi 'Holly'

I guess by talking about the 'canopy', you're taking about the wind-out awning? If so, there should be support poles that you pull out from behind the leading edge of the awning. These are frequently sprung-loaded to keep them secure whilst travelling. These support 'poles' are in two slideable/adjustable sections so that you can adjust the height of the front of the awning from the ground when deployed. Hope this helps? ( if indeed for canopy read awning!)

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
the wind out canopy poles are usually built in along the outer edge of the canopy the metal end flap lifts up to expose them, they are spring loaded at the ends in the middle pull back a bit to release them and they stand up on the 2 corners of the canopy with locking clamps half way up them to adjust the hight you want.
When winding out the canopy after about 4ft let the legs down to support it as you wind it further out but dont wind it all the way out, leave a foot or two in so the top bars are a bit bent, peg legs and strap down if windy.

but if you cant find the legs then this is no good to you soz :confused:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
H

Holly1993

Free Member
Jun 23, 2014
North East England
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
Many thanks for this. I'm not totally sure I understand where the poles are located but I'll check over the weekend and report back to you

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
image.jpg
No need to 'report' to us. You're not on trial holly:) It will be good to know how you got on though.
As the previous post and mine indicated, wind out the canopy, just enough so that you can see behind the metal leading edge. You should find the supports (better description than poles coz they may be square in section) are concealed and fixed behind the front metal edge where the canopy material ends. When you find the supports, you need to push the end of the support against the interior spring and move it out and down gently. Do the same with the other one then adjust the height from the ground as required. As has been said, peg the support down using the 'feet' at the bottom of the support. It is customary to have one support slightly lower than the other so that any rain runs off and doesn't pool in the middle of the canopy.
Have a look at my photo and it will give you an idea of how the supports should look.
Regards
James

OP
OP
H

Holly1993

Free Member
Jun 23, 2014
North East England
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
Many thanks for this. I think I know where the poles should be located now so will try and locate them over the weekend.

One more question as you have been so helpful. Could you please inform me where i put the pink toilet rinse when i flush the loo. I''ve worked out where the blue solution goes in the toilet casette but still trying to work out where the pink rinse goes which should come out when I flush it.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
If the awning is a Fiamma ,Omnistor or Thule the legs at behind the front panel. If it is a GH/awning co model they may be separate locating in brackets behind the same pan.
Pink fluid goes in the tank for flushing the loo. If yours draws water from the main tank DO NOT PUT IT IN THAT! I dilute some pink in a trigger spray an spray it around the bowl when flushing.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I'm not familiar with your Motorhome Holly, but with most 'vans that use pink fluid for the flush, the fluid is added to the water reservoir that you fill with clean water for the flush. Look for a flap (sometimes on the exterior of the vehicle) close to where the corresponding flusher cistern is located on the inside of the vehicle. Get a cheap plastic measuring jug so that you can pour in the mixture of 'pink' and water. Then top up with more fresh water. Some systems take 7 litres, so you need to read the label of the pink fluid to get the correct mixture.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
As the previous post says Holly, DON'T put pink fluid in the main tank if you draw water for the toilet from it. I think you will probably have the self-contained pump type loo with an external filler?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

for an idea of how the awning legs work, look at this video

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
A lot of MH's don't have separate water tanks for the toilet and pull their water from your main cold water tank - unlike the majority of caravans. In this case you don't need the pink additive. Several years ago there was a problem with the pink fluid causing a black deposit which came through looking like mould however I believe this has been addressed. However if using the pink stuff do drain it if not using the loo for any length of time, this will prevent this happening. Good luck with the MH.
Carol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back