Canopy caused damp ingress - new Hymer (1 Viewer)

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
First year damp check found a damp issue migrating from the external canopy fixings , factory fitted.
Dealer being responsible by refixing with additional supports but do I need to be concerned about what the impact might be of having this water migration for possibly a year. Mould, compromise of internal insulation...?
Have the holes filled, re fixed with additional brackets - is this sufficient or should it be investigated further?

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Water can track down screws and bolts. Ideally a ring of Sealant should be affixed to the bolts as they are inserted into the hole. Another ring of sealant should be fitted under the bolt head and another larger ring of sealant to the brackets { mating face }.
If the brackets have been removed and the bolts refitted as above with sikaflex there should be no problem in the future.
If you have 3 damp spots at the bracket locations { rear, middle and forward } then inadequate sealing has been carried out on initial installation.

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Had this on my Burstner with factory fitted awning. Found at year two damp test. Dealer had to reskin part of the wall around the door. Ok on year three and four tests. Buy German they said!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I wouldn't be too concerned as long as the ingress point has been rectified.
Hymers are top quality construction no wood to rot.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back