Free Member
Jun 8, 2017
Uk
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
hello all

Well, tomorrow hopefully it all happens. After over 1 year of looking I think I'm going to buy our first motorhome.

Started to look at coach built, the A class and so on. Decided we'd like to go with an older model with a view of reliability and easy repairs - the idea being long road trips, wild camping etc etc.

From looking around there seems to be only one choice - an old Merc. So, I think I've found one. An old 709d with 180k on the clock. It's widely acknowledged this engine will do at least 500k km some say 1mill. I'm looking at a van conversion, all set up by the looks, solar, inverter, toilet, shower and so on.

Over the next few months I'd imagine I'll be asking lots of questions, acquiring pearls of wisdom from you folk. I tell you I cannot wait. I will, if I but it post plenty of photos. Everyone likes a photo!!

Wish me luck people.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
:ello: and :pink:
I sincerely hope the motorhome is all you wish for.

My only suggestion would be to check out thoroughly the chassis and bodywork in particular ... engine mechanics are fairly simple to repair whereas damp bodywork is a different matter.

Please don't fall into the trap of letting your heart rule your head.

Anyway good luck and hope to see some pictures soon.

OP
OP
M

Mercboy

Free Member
Jun 8, 2017
Uk
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Thanks so much. Seems like a pretty active community

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
:ello: and :pink:
I sincerely hope the motorhome is all you wish for.

My only suggestion would be to check out thoroughly the chassis and bodywork in particular ... engine mechanics are fairly simple to repair whereas damp bodywork is a different matter.

Please don't fall into the trap of letting your heart rule your head.

Anyway good luck and hope to see some pictures soon.

Also don't get too bogged down about mileage. Motorhomes don't do anything like the mileage of an average car - even more so a van.

Wyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MrsMac59

Free Member
Mar 18, 2017
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
New owner
Thanks. En route as we speak.
How exciting and all the best. I hope it's just right for you.

We bought ours in April, it seems such a long time ago now but it's just a few weeks. We've only been out in it once so far, and pretty much worked out how to turn the water pump on (though not how to heat the water yet!), how to actually flush the toilet and how to switch the fridge over from gas to 12v.

We're off to the Funsters Rally in Kelso next weekend when we'll be able to have some knowledgeable bodies crawling all over the van showing us how to work/fill/empty/level everything. We're really looking forward to it.

OP
OP
M

Mercboy

Free Member
Jun 8, 2017
Uk
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Job done! I'm part of the club. So excited, since owning VW T2 20 years ago I've always wanting another camper. Cannot wait until I fetch it on Wednesday.

Today was a good day!

MrsMac59

Free Member
Mar 18, 2017
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
New owner
Job done! I'm part of the club. So excited, since owning VW T2 20 years ago I've always wanting another camper. Cannot wait until I fetch it on Wednesday.

Today was a good day!
Good one! It's going to seem like a long few days, I bet.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs

Today was a good day!
Great news! Do you have some photos and a name for it?

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello and welcome:WelcomeFlag: enjoy your MH and many happy and safe trips away!

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012

Today was a good day!
Now you just need to pay your subs on here to tap into all the info and banter available :D2

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Great news, hope you've found a cracker. Its really hard to find a guddun because;

Virtually all the layouts are rubbish on the DIY van conversions.

A lot are them are set up as race vans/motorcross vans etc, with a bed nearly touching the bloody roof.

Insulation is rubbish in most of them, water tanks/waste tanks are all underslung, uninsulated and unheated.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back