Cannot sell a car with a Tax Disc from Oct. (1 Viewer)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Just to put a slightly different slant on this. We have a different system here whereby it's extremely difficult to drive without tax or insurance and as such there are very few uninsured/untaxed cars on the road. Insurance is the first step and then you can get your tax, both are annual and start and expire on the same day. The tax is your number plate, no tax = no number plate so it's quite obvious if you don't pay your bill. For the annual renewal you receive an invoice for both, if either are not payed by policy expiration date then the police come and take the plates of your car. Of coarse some muppets still do stupid things and drive without number plates but they get about 2 km's down the road before someone calls them in to the police…. it's not a popular activity.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It would appear that this statement from the AA was totally correct

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...icle_excise_duty_-_administrative_changes.pdf

Go to page 14, section 3 and is explains everything,

By the way I notice this is not from DVLA but HMCR.

my apologies to the AA (on this occasion) regarding my firstpost

3. Paragraphs (3), (4), (7) and (9) amend sections 7A, 10, 29 and 31A respectively of VERA so that it will no longer be possible to transfer the benefit of a vehicle licence when there is a change of registered keeper. As a consequence of this, where there is a new registered keeper he/she will be obliged to take out a new vehicle licence when the vehicle to which the vehicle licence relates is transferred to him/her. The reason for now preventing vehicle licences being transferred from registered keeper to registered keeper is to avoid a new registered keeper unknowingly keeping an unlicensed vehicle. For example, in the absence of a paper licence a vehicle may be purchased supposedly with the benefit of a vehicle licence. The new keeper would believe that the vehicle was licensed, but the former keeper could apply for a refund of VED without the knowledge of the new keeper resulting on the new keeper having an unlicensed vehicle.

but in true DVLA fashion, they have cut the workload by not issuing paper discs then increased the workload by having to refund VED to the seller and processing a new VED to the new keeper

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
It's more of a pollution tax now. The more polluting your vehicle, the more you pay.

Not really, because it is unrelated to mileage. I run a Disco with tax at £495 but do low mileage, my CO2 production is much less than the car I used when I was working, doing 15,000 pa with a tax around £150.
A tax based on fuel used would relate to the amount of pollution.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just to put a slightly different slant on this. We have a different system here whereby it's extremely difficult to drive without tax or insurance and as such there are very few uninsured/untaxed cars on the road. Insurance is the first step and then you can get your tax, both are annual and start and expire on the same day. The tax is your number plate, no tax = no number plate so it's quite obvious if you don't pay your bill. For the annual renewal you receive an invoice for both, if either are not payed by policy expiration date then the police come and take the plates of your car. Of coarse some muppets still do stupid things and drive without number plates but they get about 2 km's down the road before someone calls them in to the police…. it's not a popular activity.

i assume its not permitted to sell replacement plates at your local car accessory shop then ?

What do you do if you lose a plate on the road ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not really, because it is unrelated to mileage. I run a Disco with tax at £495 but do low mileage, my CO2 production is much less than the car I used when I was working, doing 15,000 pa with a tax around £150.
A tax based on fuel used would relate to the amount of pollution.

it IS a pollution tax but not related to your actual annual pollution contribution.....only what your engine is designed to produce in grams per km/mile which makes the system unfair to some (very low annual mileage) and advantagous to others (very high annual mileage) driving the same vehicle model.

Nov 21, 2011
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 400
Exp
7 years
When my MIL was looking to buy another car recently she enquired about a used one and the sales chap said that there was still some road tax left on it which she could have with it, I enquired why they hadn't sent it in for a refund and was told that they can't do that now as only the original purchaser can get a refund, so things are already changing - for the better in my view!

The only 'daft' thing is their sending out postal reminders still (at a cost) but obviously not everyone will be able to receive email reminders.

You will still need an internet connection/Bank account though.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
my apologies to the AA (on this occasion) regarding my firstpost

3. Paragraphs (3), (4), (7) and (9) amend sections 7A, 10, 29 and 31A respectively of VERA so that it will no longer be possible to transfer the benefit of a vehicle licence when there is a change of registered keeper. As a consequence of this, where there is a new registered keeper he/she will be obliged to take out a new vehicle licence when the vehicle to which the vehicle licence relates is transferred to him/her. The reason for now preventing vehicle licences being transferred from registered keeper to registered keeper is to avoid a new registered keeper unknowingly keeping an unlicensed vehicle. For example, in the absence of a paper licence a vehicle may be purchased supposedly with the benefit of a vehicle licence. The new keeper would believe that the vehicle was licensed, but the former keeper could apply for a refund of VED without the knowledge of the new keeper resulting on the new keeper having an unlicensed vehicle.

but in true DVLA fashion, they have cut the workload by not issuing paper discs [HI]then increased the workload by [/HI][HI]having to refund VED to the seller and processing a new VED to the new keeper[/HI]

I thought that, but then realised that when seller sells, they lose that month, then buyer has to pay from the beginning of that month so DVLA will get paid for that month twice? So not so silly by DVLA then?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back