Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Hi

Considering whether or not to vaccinate against leishmaniasis and wondering how many of you have or haven't? Our UK vet doesn't know that much about it but will do it if I want.

We will be using a scalibor collar as well

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
Hi @Stacetop perhaps a bit of information in this thread which might help.
Sorry not a good link to the thread but our Charlie had this course of injections without any great side affects.

Yes, I understand now. Where are you going with your dog?

We had ours done with the Canileish vaccination but we are down as south as you can go and a bit beyond at the moment! You can go down that route if you are going to Spain, Portugal or Southern France, or you can get a Scabore collar. The vaccinations are to protect against Leishmaniosis which is spread by the sandfly.

I am really glad we had the vaccination as my dog has recently had a bad reaction to the collar and we had to remove it. By the way, my vet recommended using the collar even though she had had the Canileish vacs.

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Thanks I will try and search for the full thread! There is not a lot of information on side effects but I think we are more than likely to get him the vaccine best to be safe than sorry!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We just use Advantix when we're in a Sandfly zone.

I'm not sure I'd add another annual vaccination unless the dogs were going to be living in an affected area.

I know there have been cases in the UK but so far it's only been a couple of freak isolated cases.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We use Advantix but we are only down in Spain during winter Dec to end March so no sand flies about more likely to have problems from ticks

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Don't know if the Canileish vaccine has been a help over here in Fuertventura (hence the sand fly issue) but Charlie has a monthly Advocate treatment and absolutely no problem with ticks fleas etc.

We do have a Scalibor collar but not needed to.open the tin.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Don't know if the Canileish vaccine has been a help over here in Fuertventura (hence the sand fly issue) but Charlie has a monthly Advocate treatment and absolutely no problem with ticks fleas etc.

We do have a Scalibor collar but not needed to.open the tin.

We use Advocate in the UK but it does not give protection from Sandflies and therefore Leish.

You would be better off using Advantix while you are over there and revert to Advocate when you get back to the UK or if you really want to then use both.

Make sure you don't give one within a fortnight of the other.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Thanks Nick will have a look at Advantix for next time but will probably keep up
with the sand fly injection as its only 1 booster yearly now.

Orchid288

Free Member
Mar 26, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
We were in the south of France last summer and found the Scalibor collar good and saved another injection , we will do the same this year

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
we took our dogs in recently to begin the pet passport process ,the vet was Romanian and he told us that they will be introducing compulsory tick treatment in the near future as part of the pet passport requirements ,time will tell if he is correct

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
The nurse I saw recently prior to getting the passport said that there is a tick ideas being brought into this country but as it doesn't affect humans then the pet passport scheme doesn't need to cover it. She was of the opinion that the passport is sorely to protect us and not our pets! I guess time will tell and maybe common sense will prevail.

On the cani leish I'm still undecided and have about a month to decide but I think I am more than likely to give it to him. I would rather try to prevent something than have to live with it for years. I half wonder how effective the collars are (I have got one though), as if I use insect repellent I still get bitten sometimes!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back