cancelling TV licence (1 Viewer)

Jun 17, 2015
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
July 2015 plus 20 years of camping
I don't watch all that much TV. But I'm more than happy to pay the license to support radio 4 and and the documentaries I watch on BBC 4. In fact I'd pay the license fee just for Radio 4, so anything else I get is a bonus.

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
I cancel both our TV licence and Sky for the time we are away.Do it online, no problem.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I suppose if you get the timing right you could save a fair bit of money but for the odd month would it be worth it especially with the 3/6/9 month refund terms? I'm amazed that they can actually get away with this though - if you take vehicle tax as an example you get a refund for all unused months.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I suppose if you get the timing right you could save a fair bit of money but for the odd month would it be worth it especially with the 3/6/9 month refund terms? I'm amazed that they can actually get away with this though - if you take vehicle tax as an example you get a refund for all unused months.
Yes but this is the BBC, they make the rules, and governments feed them the propaganda.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Yes, I pay my TV license. When I'm ill I watch a lot of rubbish ...... mindless trivia in a lot of cases.

What I object to is the assumption that every property needs a tv license.

When we bought the building plot where our house now stands the first demand came a month after we applied for planning permission. I wrote to them explaining it was a field with no building and no electric and no tv. The demands became more and more threatening and after writing back a few times I just started to bin them unopened. Then one day when I was marking out the land an official came ..... he asked a few questions (from the road) and I answered politely, then he asked if the property had a tv license. I asked if Mr King (the horse) needed a license for his field as he didn't have a tv or electric and I didn't think he would watch anyway! The official said a very rude word, apologised for wasting my time and left. I didn't hear anything else from them.

A friend of ours has no TV and was constantly hounded. Last time he told them to come back with a search warrant. They did and found he had no tv. He asked for (and got) compensation for the damage done during the search.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A friend of ours has no TV and was constantly hounded. Last time he told them to come back with a search warrant. They did and found he had no tv. He asked for (and got) compensation for the damage done during the search.
What damage did they do looking for a TV???

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have Netflix for entertainment. I have found it to be excellent value. I upgraded to their top package so my Mum can watch some TV series on her Smart TV.
I also have an Amazon Account which is mainly for the free delivery but the free TV/Films/Music is a massive bonus.

Not had a TV or a TV license in 9+ years now and I really don't miss it.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
What damage did they do looking for a TV???
Cupboard doors pulled off, furniture moved and broken and an antique cupboard had glass smashed and contents broken when they pulled it out to check there was no hidden tv behind it - there wasn't. Every cupboard was opened and emptied to check no tv was hidden in there. Also pictures taken off walls and damaged. The whole house was trashed.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Cupboard doors pulled off, furniture moved and broken and an antique cupboard had glass smashed and contents broken when they pulled it out to check there was no hidden tv behind it - there wasn't. Every cupboard was opened and emptied to check no tv was hidden in there. Also pictures taken off walls and damaged. The whole house was trashed.
That's awful! It sounds like they had just hired in a load of 'heavy boys' for the job.

Apr 10, 2015
Australia
Funster No
MH
Big Marlin ,Elnagh, 1998
Exp
Motorhoming Europe since 2009
Must be a UK thing but here in Australia we don't have TV licenses. So nothing to cancel, how lucky are we??:LOL:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Go on youtube and put in

not pay tv licence

It is a real eye opener

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Must be a UK thing but here in Australia we don't have TV licenses. So nothing to cancel, how lucky are we??:LOL:
Yeah but there's nothing worth watching in Oz is there ... I always thought they PAID you to watch!!! :LOL:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a blind friend of mine used to get threatening letters which he ignored after a neighbour read them to him. he too had a visit by a bunch of thugs with a search warrant. he complained, as did his neighbour and the press loved the story. he was interviewed by the local itv station and the mp picked up the case. took many months but he eventually got an apology

but can you imagine being blind and several strangers walk into your home and move everything about whilst ransacking the place? disgusting i think

OP
OP
rikfos

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Not picking at your post but generally at anti licencing sentiment..

When I lived on my own I didn't have a licence. Phoned them every time I got a snotty letter to tell them why I didn't have a licence and eventually they went away (although promised to be back in touch after 2 years)

Now, we have a licence. It costs more than Netflix and amazon prime combined I believe and it is used for about 20 hours a year.. the worst value for money ever..

Except.. We watch EastEnders, Top Gear (pre scandal and plan to watch Evans), the Voice, Call the Midwife, etc etc all on iPlayer. Add all that up and the licence is worth the money. I know, we dong watch any of those programs live so technically we could ban the kids from watching Big Brother and save the cost.. But then if everyone did that we would lose all the programs we like to watch because there wouldn't be the money to make them. So OK, of you are going away and plan to avoid UK TV for 6 months of course cancel your licence. It's a tank of fuel... On the other hand if you plan to use satellite or use a VPN to get iPlayer, chip in your few quid a month so the service can carry on being provided.

I don't use the tv when I am away. It is absolute bliss. I never use satellite, even at home

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
We sold our house in 2009 and since then all our documents are addressed to Emma's Dads. Now you may think why haven't they done anything about it but we still pay a monthly DD of around £12. Now I've always been confused and have tried to cancel and get a refund once before, 2012 I think, I don't think we actually need one as Emma's Dad has one for his place and we must be covered under that. The van is registered there so surly its covered. From memory when I asked the question via the licensing website back then the reply was that we still needed it.

Question is do I?

If I don't Maybe someone could give me point by point instructions as to how I go about getting a refund please.

Its got me thinking now, come 1st August this year I will have paid 7 years for maybe something I didn't need. Thats a lot of money, around the £1000 mark, now that would come in handy.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
You DO need it as the one at your fathers will be being 'used' there by him when he watches TV and you'll also be watching TV in your MH somewhere else, so you need one for each place.

If it was your own home which was unoccupied when you are away, it obviously wouldn't be 'needed' at home as well as away with you (I'm not going into the small issue of recording something at home!) so no need for 2, but unfortunately with your arrangement you DO need your own .... sorry!

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
You DO need it as the one at your fathers will be being 'used' there by him when he watches TV and you'll also be watching TV in your MH somewhere else, so you need one for each place.

If it was your own home which was unoccupied when you are away, it obviously wouldn't be 'needed' at home as well as away with you (I'm not going into the small issue of recording something at home!) so no need for 2, but unfortunately with your arrangement you DO need your own .... sorry!
So if we leave the kids at home when we are away?????

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
So if we leave the kids at home when we are away?????
To be totally 'above board' then really you should have one each but I seriously doubt if the licensing people would ever bother to pursue a case against you purely for holidays, but for longer term use they might ... o_O

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Allegedly, you must show a tv investigator your tv receiving equipment, by law, when asked......but you dont have to let them in your house.

That could be fun unfixing your 60" flat screen from the wall and staggering to the front door with it.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
My understanding is that IF you are absent, but using a receiving device in your Motor-home or Caravan, you STILL legally need a Licence. However should you only watch "catch up" t-v you can legally refuse to have a licence.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
using a receiving device in your Motor-home or Caravan, you STILL legally need a Licence.
Currently, if the tv is powered by its own internal batteries you dont need a licence as its covered by your domestic licence, but if its plugged in...even to a 12v source....you do need one, regardless of a licence at home.

Its in the link, do I need a licence, a few posts back.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Its in the link, do I need a licence, a few posts back.

Cannot find that link. BUT some years back this was thrashed out by the caravan club, and they (then) gave the advice that IF the Licensed premisses where unoccupied the licence could effectively be used in a Motor home or caravan, OWNED be the licence payer. No mention was made of the power source.

Pete

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Cannot find that link. BUT some years back this was thrashed out by the caravan club, and they (then) gave the advice that IF the Licensed premisses where unoccupied the licence could effectively be used in a Motor home or caravan, OWNED be the licence payer. No mention was made of the power source.

Pete
You're getting a bit confused Pete, if you have a licence at home and are away and no-one/nothing is using the licence at home (ie not occupied and no recordings being made) then the licence 'goes on holiday' with you.

If there is someone at home watching TV, or you are recording something at home, whilst you are away then the licence stays at home so 'officially' you need another for your travels.

However if the equipment you are watching live TV on is NOT connected to a power source (eg 12v/mains) and is being run from it's own power source (eg internal battery) then you do NOT need a separate licence.

That's my take on it anyway!

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Pete
My mistake, I didnt read far enough.

From the tv licencing website.

You don’t need a separate TV Licence for

Any device powered solely by its own internal batteries (i.e. it is not connected to an aerial or plugged into the mains). Your main home’s TV Licence will cover this.

Boats, touring caravans or vehicles as they’re already covered by your main home’s TV Licence.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Allegedly, you must show a tv investigator your tv receiving equipment, by law, when asked......but you dont have to let them in your house.

That could be fun unfixing your 60" flat screen from the wall and staggering to the front door with it.

Not really PJ.
It is an act of parliament but not a law.. There is a difference..
Anddddd.....
As such if a police officer turns up with the BBC enforcement thugs you can refuse those entry too even if they have a court order.. As the court order is raised on a false premis and the officers are there to uphold the law of the land, not act in a civil matter

This has been tested in court and still stands

OP
OP
rikfos

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
They have now cancelled my standing order. If I wish to be reimbursed for my overpayment to October ( when my licence expires) they will send me a cheque for 2 quarterly payments

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back