Cancelled Flight Compensation? (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Evening,

Nothing to do with RyanAir.

Late last year, we had a delayed flight from Manchester - Alicante with Norwegian air. The flight was delayed due to a faulty Aircraft. They had to fly a replacement Airplane from Majorca to take us to Alicante. We were at the airport for 9 hours in-total. Then the replacement flight was delayed slightly.

I was not going to bother applying for compensation. But, Norwegian treated us very unfairly and were quite abrupt in response my complaints.

I tried to obtain compensation via Resolver (https://www.resolver.co.uk/) but despite emailing the CAA, I have come to a dead end.

I am now considering passing the matter onto one of the companies who take a huge cut of successful

Anyone had any similar cases?>

TM

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
Have you looked at the Norwegian air web page.
They have a bit for claiming compensation.
Because it's covered by EU regs they should pay out without quibbling.
I work for an airline and compensation is treated as something we accept but try to avoid delays causing it.
There are companies that chase it even trying to claim for compensation when they were flying on rival airlines, don't agree with babies getting compensation when the flight was free though.
Credit card won't fight for compensation only for money paid and lost.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Have you looked at the Norwegian air web page.
They have a bit for claiming compensation.
Because it's covered by EU regs they should pay out without quibbling.
I work for an airline and compensation is treated as something we accept but try to avoid delays causing it.
There are companies that chase it even trying to claim for compensation when they were flying on rival airlines, don't agree with babies getting compensation when the flight was free though.
Credit card won't fight for compensation only for money paid and lost.

Hi,

Thank you.

Norwegian have claimed they are not liable for compensation.

I have read a fair amount on the web that Norwegian are trying to dodge claims!

I really am not a complainer, don't have the time. But got a bee on this one.

El-Nido

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Keep writing to Norwegian Air, lay out your claim, quote the EU regulation and keep hastening them, in writing, every month (email it to them). We were delayed 12 hours on a Monarch flight to Crete in 2010. It took 5 years to get the money back but they paid up in the end. These airlines hope most people can't be bothered to keep trying and give up. Don't let them get away with it.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Just wonder if they have to pay it as they are presumably registered in Norway which is not in the EU bit I could be wrong!! I notice their website at the bottom says that it is a Norwegan retail site and Norwegan law applies.

G8UZQ

Free Member
Jun 8, 2016
South Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
We are still fighting for compensation from Monarch for a flight cancelled in 2014. They paid claim for taxi within a few days from UK but compensation is paid from europe and they just ignore emails.
So much for ATOL protection

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
We booked return flights to Prague with Ryanair to celebrate our 40th Wedding anniversary. We have also paid for a 4 star hotel, airport parking and use of executive lounge. Received an email last night tell us both flights cancelled. Bummer !

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
To the Op, did you get drink and later still meal vouchers during the delay? I seem to remember on a flight to the Faroes one year with Atlantic Airways we were delayed for several hours, not surprisingly given the often fog bound airport in those days on Vagar, and were treated reasonably well.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Just wonder if they have to pay it as they are presumably registered in Norway which is not in the EU bit I could be wrong!! I notice their website at the bottom says that it is a Norwegan retail site and Norwegan law applies.
Flight originated in Uk. Therefore take out a claim in small claims court for the full amount + all & every additional expense.

We are still fighting for compensation from Monarch for a flight cancelled in 2014. They paid claim for taxi within a few days from UK but compensation is paid from europe and they just ignore emails.
So much for ATOL protection
As above, if they have paid for a taxi then liability has been admitted for the cancellation.

To the OP. If The airline refuse the claim then you are meant first to get the air transport autority of the country where flight originated involved . In your case the UK CAA

here https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Re...a-claim/What-to-do-if-your-claim-is-rejected/

" Extraordinary circumstances " would be the only thing they could use & it doesn't apply as test cases in UK & EU have both found against .

The Regulation does not define “extraordinary circumstances” and there have been a number of cases in the European and English courts regarding what the term covers. The cases have centred on whether technical faults on an aircraft could be an extraordinary circumstance. In June 2014 the English Court of Appeal issued a judgment in the Jet2 v Huzar case which provided clarity in the UK that technical problems were not an extraordinary circumstance.

In September 2015 the European Court looked at the same issue in the case of KLM v van der Lans. The court found that technical problems were not extraordinary and neither was the early failure of an aircraft component. The ruling noted two types of technical fault that may be extraordinary, a hidden manufacturing defect and damage to an aircraft caused by sabotage or terrorism.

both from link above.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We booked return flights to Prague with Ryanair to celebrate our 40th Wedding anniversary. We have also paid for a 4 star hotel, airport parking and use of executive lounge. Received an email last night tell us both flights cancelled. Bummer !
Oh, so sorry. Disgraceful behaviour by Ryanair. Don't think they offer any compensation for carparking, hotels or exec lounge. Are you able to get away with another airline? Norwegian airlines fly from Manchester to Prague.

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

Sorry to hear this, Many have been holding their breath, My Nephew is a lucky one. A Client if mine is a Ryaniar Pilot. Says they are good to work for as a Pilot but they got this all wrong some time back.

To the Op, did you get drink and later still meal vouchers during the delay? I seem to remember on a flight to the Faroes one year with Atlantic Airways we were delayed for several hours, not surprisingly given the often fog bound airport in those days on Vagar, and were treated reasonably well.

Yes, but only a miserable few quid. The Bar and Restaurant staff should wear Masks and stripy jumpers in these places. And of-course, you cannot take liquids in!.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Evening,

Nothing to do with RyanAir.

Late last year, we had a delayed flight from Manchester - Alicante with Norwegian air. The flight was delayed due to a faulty Aircraft. They had to fly a replacement Airplane from Majorca to take us to Alicante. We were at the airport for 9 hours in-total. Then the replacement flight was delayed slightly.

I was not going to bother applying for compensation. But, Norwegian treated us very unfairly and were quite abrupt in response my complaints.

I tried to obtain compensation via Resolver (https://www.resolver.co.uk/) but despite emailing the CAA, I have come to a dead end.

I am now considering passing the matter onto one of the companies who take a huge cut of successful

Anyone had any similar cases?>

TM
Maybe Norwegian Air are not liable because they are not full members of the eu?

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Oh, so sorry. Disgraceful behaviour by Ryanair. Don't think they offer any compensation for carparking, hotels or exec lounge. Are you able to get away with another airline? Norwegian airlines fly from Manchester to Prague.
Thanks! I have paid for flights with another carrier and had a refund for my car parking and executive lounge. I have also asked for a refund for my cancelled flights and applied for compensation as flights were cancelled within two weeks of departure. We might even make a financial gain from this but the waiting to find out if we were going to be cancelled or not was worrying, to say the least. I really feel for those people who have been abandon when attempting to take a return flighty from abroad and others who like us have important once in a lifetime arrangement's destroyed.

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Flight originated in Uk. Therefore take out a claim in small claims court for the full amount + all & every additional expense.

As above, if they have paid for a taxi then liability has been admitted for the cancellation.

To the OP. If The airline refuse the claim then you are meant first to get the air transport autority of the country where flight originated involved . In your case the UK CAA

here https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Re...a-claim/What-to-do-if-your-claim-is-rejected/

" Extraordinary circumstances " would be the only thing they could use & it doesn't apply as test cases in UK & EU have both found against .

The Regulation does not define “extraordinary circumstances” and there have been a number of cases in the European and English courts regarding what the term covers. The cases have centred on whether technical faults on an aircraft could be an extraordinary circumstance. In June 2014 the English Court of Appeal issued a judgment in the Jet2 v Huzar case which provided clarity in the UK that technical problems were not an extraordinary circumstance.

In September 2015 the European Court looked at the same issue in the case of KLM v van der Lans. The court found that technical problems were not extraordinary and neither was the early failure of an aircraft component. The ruling noted two types of technical fault that may be extraordinary, a hidden manufacturing defect and damage to an aircraft caused by sabotage or terrorism.

both from link above.
Thanks.

I have filled out the form

TM

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread