Canary Islands surprise (1 Viewer)

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
We are currently on holiday in Fuertaventura of above island chain. On our transfer from the airport to the hotel I was surprised at the number of Motorhomes that I saw. Some even parked up on rocky outcrops by the sea. Are these just people who live on the island or do people travel from afar? I was unable to see any number plate origins. I only ask as it must be quite a sea journey to get here. Just curious.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
You can catch a drive on ferry in Tarifa (Bottom left hand corner of Spain)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I think some take their vans from mainland Europe - we've certainly seen quite a few German registrations. But also a lot of Spanish living in the Canaries. Local residents get very cheap fares on the inter-island ferries. Tourist pay much much more.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
We are currently on holiday in Fuertaventura of above island chain. On our transfer from the airport to the hotel I was surprised at the number of Motorhomes that I saw. Some even parked up on rocky outcrops by the sea. Are these just people who live on the island or do people travel from afar? I was unable to see any number plate origins. I only ask as it must be quite a sea journey to get here. Just curious.

We did this trip last October taking the ferry from Cadiz to Lanzerote (32 hrs) then a short ferry to Fuertventura (20 minutes) plenty of places to wild camp. (Although we didn't stay in the van) think the ferry costs were ā‚¬1330 & ā‚¬100 return.

Planning on doing the same trip again hopefully through the tunnel mid October this time visiting Portugal for a while before getting to Cadiz.

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
We did this trip last October taking the ferry from Cadiz to Lanzerote (32 hrs) then a short ferry to Fuertventura (20 minutes) plenty of places to wild camp. (Although we didn't stay in the van) think the ferry costs were ā‚¬1330 & ā‚¬100 return.

Planning on doing the same trip again hopefully through the tunnel mid October this time visiting Portugal for a while before getting to Cadiz.

I will keep an eye out for you in Fuerteventura next February, saw loads of vans about this year though sadly we will be flying over

Andy

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
We were a package holiday on La Palma, one of the smaller Canary Islands, a couple of years ago and got talking to a German family using a Spanish Registered MH.
He explained that he had hired it on Tenerife and was using the local ferries to see more of the Canaries.

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We've used a friend's villa in Lanzarote for years and on more than one visit saw loads of motorhomes parked in a valley on the coast just north of Playa Blanca so when we went to Morocco on 2012 I thought about surprising our friends by turning up at their villa in the van, perhaps via a ferry from the nearby Moroccan coast. But there is (or was) no such route and the only route I could find was rom mainland Spain with eye-watering costs, so we abandoned that idea. Pity though, because I reckon a few weeks on the islands would be good in a van, just not willing to pay so much......signed: a Yorkshire ex-pat, now living in Cornwall! Gary

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
We've used a friend's villa in Lanzarote for years and on more than one visit saw loads of motorhomes parked in a valley on the coast just north of Playa Blanca so when we went to Morocco on 2012 I thought about surprising our friends by turning up at their villa in the van, perhaps via a ferry from the nearby Moroccan coast. But there is (or was) no such route and the only route I could find was rom mainland Spain with eye-watering costs, so we abandoned that idea. Pity though, because I reckon a few weeks on the islands would be good in a van, just not willing to pay so much......signed: a Yorkshire ex-pat, now living in Cornwall! Gary
Not THE Gary?
MV5BMTA4MzIxNjI2ODReQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU4MDUwNDM0Mjkx._V1_UY317_CR19,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
It's bloody great here. Can camp anywhere, for free :)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We saw lots of MH in Crete last year . All but one was Dutch though .

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
British van parked up in Tenerife in Puerta Colon car park, its been there since January.
Also seen a few 'urban camping' in Las Americas.

I couldn't handle trying to sleep in the heat of the Canary Islands in my van. Bad enough on a decent summers night here.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
We're almost ready to head for the tunnel this weekend with the intention of doing much the same as last year & arriving in Fuertventura mid November.

Unfortunately some friends are stuck in Cadiz they should have sailed last Saturday to Lanzerote but the ship had engine problems.
Today they loaded expecting to sail at 6pm apparently more problems they're now heading to Huelva to sail on Saturday.

We've heard the kennels on the Huelva route are not very good so they're going to have a look and update us.

Either way we're still heading through the tunnel towards Cadiz (y)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
We're almost ready to head for the tunnel this weekend with the intention of doing much the same as last year & arriving in Fuertventura mid November.

Unfortunately some friends are stuck in Cadiz they should have sailed last Saturday to Lanzerote but the ship had engine problems.
Today they loaded expecting to sail at 6pm apparently more problems they're now heading to Huelva to sail on Saturday.

We've heard the kennels on the Huelva route are not very good so they're going to have a look and update us.

Either way we're still heading through the tunnel towards Cadiz (y)
Be sure to wave as you sail past :)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Got talking to a couple in a campsite in Andorra around 1983, and they had just come back from the canary isle's in their motorhome.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Our friends have just updated us on the broken down ferry which is still in port at Cadiz they are now being flown over in the morning to the various islands the vehicles are sailing on Saturday via a freighter.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Our friends have just updated us on the broken down ferry which is still in port at Cadiz they are now being flown over in the morning to the various islands the vehicles are sailing on Saturday via a freighter.
Are they sailing with Trasmediteranea?

Cos our ship broke down 5 hours from Lanzarote. Just floated for 3 hours till it was fixed.

Your pals got it much worse

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
@Yorick
Yes the ship is called Albayzin we were hoping to catch it a bit earlier this year as we nearly got caught in the Pyrenees with the snow last year.
Floating for 3hrs wouldn't fancy that mind you could always try a bit of fishing (y)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
@Yorick
Yes the ship is called Albayzin we were hoping to catch it a bit earlier this year as we nearly got caught in the Pyrenees with the snow last year.
Floating for 3hrs wouldn't fancy that mind you could always try a bit of fishing (y)
Yup, we always sail on the Albayzin.
It was under emergency power as the satnav on my phone showed it as going 2 MPH in the right direction. But no electrical power and only emergency lights and toilets soon failed.
Then got going and arrived here 2 hours late.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
May I apologise for stating ferries to the Canaries ran from Tarifa. I have not used this route but was told in Tarifa and by a motorhome owner from the Canaries, that ferries did sail from that port. Looking at ferry timetables, I am not able to verify that they do.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back