Canada/USA trip - buy RV then sell? (1 Viewer)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
"Asking for a friend" - no, I really am!
I have a friend who's considering cycling the route of the Tour Divide from Banff to Antelope Wells, 2745 miles with over 200,000 feet elevation gain/ loss. A "few" of his family want to parallel his route in an RV. He expects to take about 6 weeks.
t.gif

t.gif

Could you experienced RVers please offer some pros and cons of buying a used RV, having the adventure, then re-selling? Potential costs of doing so?

Many thanks for any information/ advice!

Wingover

Free Member
Jun 4, 2019
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2010
Broken Link Removed will give you all the info regarding prices. I had good luck buying and selling RV's without losing money after a year or more of use.

Not sure where you will register it. The taxes in Canada to register can be as high as 13% and you will not get it back unless you buy it under a company name. In the US it is based on each state. Arizona is 2%. You can cut a deal with a dealer to have temporary plates and buy short term insurance for 6 weeks and bring the RV back to the dealer to sell it for you??

I am wondering if long term rental is a better option..

Reactions: CWH
OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
That's really helpful @Wingover , thank you. I'll pass on the link and your comments to my friend. I must admit I'd thought 6 weeks was a short time for a purchase, but I think D is hoping to be able to sell for the same price as buying.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Probably far cheaper and easier to hire one for 6 weeks, especially if it is out of high season. You'd have to hire in Calgary, about 60 miles away. A couple of years ago, a brand new panel van conversion cost £2000 to hire for a month in May/June. You probably couldn't go any earlier than this as the passes may be snowed in. Some don't clear until July some years.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Thanks @thebriars I'll pass that on. I've no idea when D is hoping to travel and I don't know how many of his family will be going - he just said "a few"! So ALL information will be helpful.

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Thanks alanalmoff , it looks as though they operate Canada and USA, D can have a good look around their website.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
You can buy on export plates tax free ----- can't remember if they are valid for 2months????? ----- we re-registered ours in Alaska which is tax free, each state has it's own tax rate.
I would certainly not recommend big RVs for doing so much mountain work-------- our manual Dodge diesel pick up with demountable camper coped extremely well with whatever we asked it to do!!!
Talking to RV owners travelling in Alaska regarding what they would use on another similar trip they all said they would use a rig like ours!!!!!!
There are dealers that will sell with a buy-back deal!!!

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
That's interesting Sundowners thank you. I'm almost beginning to wish it was me going!

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
If your thinking of buying then https://www.cruiseamerica.com/ is a good start, their ex rentals are usually good (reasonable) buy and well looked after,

Ooooh no! Cruise America keep their vans longer than most rental companies, and are not a good prospect for buying second hand. One we hired was already 6 years old. Many rental companies now dispose of their vehicles after just one or two years.

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
All good info for D to think about, thanks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back