Can you wire an inverter into the mains sockets? (1 Viewer)

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Only works if you bond one side of the output to ground which is not possible on all inverters. Quality inverters like Victron you are able to set to bonded or floating.
This is what I did.

You also need a latching RCD as the non latching type reset to off as soon as you switch the inverter off.

Caravan newbie

Free Member
Aug 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Fairway
Only works if you bond one side of the output to ground which is not possible on all inverters. Quality inverters like Victron you are able to set to bonded or floating.
It’s got an earth point on the frame of the inverter, not sure if this is connected to the earth pin of its 240v socket.

I was going to use this switch as a changeover switch between the ehu and the inverter, will have to remember to switch the battery charger and heater etc off when using it.
A2CD46D7-6FDE-4AC3-823F-EB7A8248F2C6.jpeg

Reading on an Aussie forum - if using two devices plugged into one inverter, it is technically possible to for them both to develop earth faults in such a way that any metal casing they may have will become live.

This is due to the inverter not providing a true earth, which can mean a normal rcd breaker won’t ‘notice’ the fault.

However I can only find mention of it on Aussie forums, where there happens to be an Aussie manufacturer of the correct RVD fault monitoring device!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It’s got an earth point on the frame of the inverter, not sure if this is connected to the earth pin of its 240v socket.
It's one side of the output that needs to be earthed normally no connection to the earth pin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back