Can you walk on the roof of a Mohawk (1 Viewer)

Aug 17, 2018
Newquay, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Corinium
Exp
Since August 2018
Time for a bit more advise, please
I have a 2010 Mohawk and am in the middle of detailing the outside, cab and NS done but want to start on the roof.

Is it safe to walk the entire length of the roof or only on the panel at the rear by the steps.

Many thanks in advance

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It will be fine (y). Much stronger than you think. While your up there get a good look at all the skylights and check the sealant is good, lots of flex on the roof and the sealant should be checked/renewed regularly (y)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Makes sure you wear footwear that won't slide you off the roof. (I tend to go up bare footed but maybe I have sticky feet :)) You wouldn't be the first to slip off a wet soapy motorhome roof.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Fine BUT not on the overcab "bulge" part..
The rest is fine.. As Jim mentioned, get some right footwear as can be slippy..
Been up on my Apache 700 many times..

OP
OP
RIL7979
Aug 17, 2018
Newquay, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Corinium
Exp
Since August 2018
Thanks Chaps,

Its the bulge in want to polish the most, trying to stop the white dust from dripping in to the windscreen.

The sides have polished up nicely.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I used to polish my bulge a lot.....(y)

BUT The wife said I am to old now to be doing things like that....:whistle:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
What you need is a baby that's just started to crawl, stick it in a baby grow with polishing rags on hands and knees, tie one foot to a rope in case it falls off the roof so you can catch it before it hits the ground, well you don't want grit on the rags do you. :whistle:

Oh and before any do gooders and child protection geezers or wimmins start I've checked it out. They stopped us sending kids up chimmerlies in the 1800's but never mentioned polishing moho roofs with them (y)

:giggler::giggler:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
"Can you walk on the roof of a Mohawk"
Only if his tomahawk is securely locked away in a drawer!

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
What would this forum be without contradiction?
I'm in the other camp that believes in climbing on the roof is a practice to be avoided
but not just for safety reasons.

Walking on your MoHo roof does cause severe flexing of the roof itself, also stretching of sealant used to seal roof panels and fittings
skylights etc, stretching in this way may just cause a leak that wasn't and may never have been caused if you had used ladders or a platform to bare your weight.
The second and most likely problem you may cause is pooling water in the hollow you caused with your attempt to maintain your roof.

How many MoHo have you seen with puddles on the roof nearly always around sealant joints at skylights
Your MoHo in most cases leave the factory with flat roofs, how did you think the bowing and puddling in roofs s caused
From the Evere controversial Geo DONT WALK ON ROOFS.
Those that have and have suffered no damage have been lucky, how do you know it wont happen next time ????

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I would say it depends on the roof structure.. walking on a Hymer roof that is a PUAL sandwich construction is perfectly acceptable.. it will not deform or flex. However.. Care should still be exercised not to put a lot of pressure near roof lights.

On the other hand, if it's a wooden frame or other type of construction with an aluminium skin..I agree with @Geo

HY00_082_02_cmyk.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back