Can you use self-builds on Aires? (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
Does it depend on appearance, on what you've done to the vehicle or on its legal status?

A specific example I'm interested in, if I have something that's essentially just a van, but has hook up, leisure battery and basic bed platform, is that enough to allow me to legally use Aires?

Bobby dazzler

Free Member
Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
I don't think the aires in France would be to concerned I've seen plenty of self builds on them over the years

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Abroad anything goes.
The only restrictions I know of are on Motorhome and Caravan Club Sites where they can get a bit sniffy about van conversions but on the Continent nobody bats an eyelid whatever you turn up in, and some rigs are a sight to behold
Hope this answers your question.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Does it depend on appearance, on what you've done to the vehicle or on its legal status?

A specific example I'm interested in, if I have something that's essentially just a van, but has hook up, leisure battery and basic bed platform, is that enough to allow me to legally use Aires?
I ve seen cars with roof tents. caravans arent normally allowed, but anything else even vaguely resembling a camper/Mh/van is normally fine.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I've seen lots of self builds on Aires over the years. Even very long buses with bicycle racks on the front. Very old army trucks converted. Quite interesting some of them. Tents on rooves of cars , Huge RVs with very expensive cars being driven out of the rear of them, a few caravans but not many.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We were on an Aire in France several years ago and a couple with large dog turned up in an estate car and stayed for several days.
Aires are not governed in that way all the authorities care about is if you overstay!

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Not completely irrelevant but we checked with the so called sniffy club (CMC) and their response was ....

We would need to check that you have adequate ventilation, a bed that is either fixed or can be pulled out etc, if you fit all the criteria then that would not be a problem at all...

Adequate ventilation could be cracking open a window.👍

We have seen all sorts on Aires in France, but cars with bedding are rare, usually nobody is around to check.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
This is a good question. On the last rally in new forest, we almost booked 3 days to attend over the weekend. One of the condition for booking was, your log book needs to say motorcaravan. Ours is a self conversion with log book stating van with windows, I gave up.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
The main criteria for Aires is that you have Shower and Toilet facilities on board the Camping Car Parks organization do have Ambassadors that welcome their clients onto sites and at the same time remove those that do not comply and rightly so in my opinion.

The fact that certain conversions along with vans/cars/tents etc turn up and basically ignore the rules/etiquette does not mean it’s allowed,it is tolerated through the lack of personnel to police it and a diabolical insult to the Town or Village that provides the facility for Motorhomes / Camping Cars.
Though a lot of the people not having facilities are respectful of acceptable toilet habits sadly the majority are not, its impossible to defend the fact that no toilet facilities in particular results in people disappearing into or behind anything that hides them so the can Pee and Shat along with leaving a trail of dirty toilet paper that floats about.

Disgusting behaviour and we have all seen it.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
The main criteria for Aires is that you have Shower and Toilet facilities on board the Camping Car Parks organization do have Ambassadors that welcome their clients onto sites and at the same time remove those that do not comply and rightly so in my opinion.

The fact that certain conversions along with vans/cars/tents etc turn up and basically ignore the rules/etiquette does not mean it’s allowed,it is tolerated through the lack of personnel to police it and a diabolical insult to the Town or Village that provides the facility for Motorhomes / Camping Cars.
Though a lot of the people not having facilities are respectful of acceptable toilet habits sadly the majority are not, its impossible to defend the fact that no toilet facilities in particular results in people disappearing into or behind anything that hides them so the can Pee and Shat along with leaving a trail of dirty toilet paper that floats about.

I think it's over the top to have to have a shower, toilet yes, but many day vans don't have showers and are fine for a weekend. Isn't having a strip wash good enough anymore?

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better

This will give you an idea…😁

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-seen-on-aires….241316/#post-4508406

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I think it's over the top to have to have a shower, toilet yes, but many day vans don't have showers and are fine for a weekend. Isn't having a strip wash good enough anymore?
The shower facility denotes a Motorhome. l personally am sure a strip wash is adaquate for some but many vanlife type conversions don’t allow you to stand up. Do you strip off in full view of all.

The signage on all Aires is clear, making changes to the requirements of staying on an Aire to suit yourself does not mean you meet that criteria.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
The shower facility denotes a Motorhome. l personally am sure a strip wash is adaquate for some but many vanlife type conversions don’t allow you to stand up. Do you strip off in full view of all.

The signage on all Aires is clear, making changes to the requirements of staying on an Aire to suit yourself does not mean you meet that criteria.
I'm fully kitted out so it doesn't bother me, neither does what other people do bother me if they aren't harming anyone else. Rules is rules though hey.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I'm fully kitted out so it doesn't bother me, neither does what other people do bother me if they aren't harming anyone else. Rules is rules though hey.
I’m not particularly a stringent observer of rules but when everyone takes the attitude of “ doing what l want “ and ignoring what the majority accept and adhere to l just feel it all goes into decline.
The people shatting in bushes don’t do it in their own garden/space but find it acceptable to do it elsewhere.
There are Campsites everywhere for those without full facilities.
l am pleased we basically agree.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Have you ever seen anyone check?
Yes, the Ambassadors on Camping Car sites and in small villages where a local collects the payment personally and l understand why, he/she knows if they haven’t got facilities on board she/he will smell Pee around or discover shat in the bushes or at the back of the village hall or whatever.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
M

my Doblo has a loo, but no shower, I don't shower every day, but dowhen I am on a site with facilities. It is perfectly possible to keep clean without having a shower, gave plenty of bed baths in my time.

Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion

We have used loads of aires, sostas, stellplatz, etc in many countries and have never seen any regulation that says a shower is a criterion for access.

Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
We have used loads of aires, sostas, stellplatz, etc in many countries and have never seen any regulation that says a shower is a criterion for access. Totally agree that every van should have a lavatory, we were discussing vanlifers with our grand-daughter the other day and she said it seems that some prefer a wine rack to a portapotti!

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
I’m not sure about the requirement for a shower too & I must admit I’ve not actually seen any signs saying you must have a toilet but generally there is ability to get water & empty a cassette toilet. I have found toilets at some of the very old ones and even showers toilets & washing machines at the really new ones. The only rules I am actually aware of seeing are that you cannot have the awning out or put furniture outside or cook outside. I think that principle was they are there to stop for the night inside your van and hopefully spend money locally on a meal etc. Caravans are not permitted

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Not if the blinds or curtains are open ... :LOL:

Steve

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
Thanks very much everyoe.

>The only restrictions I know of are on Motorhome and Caravan
>Club Sites where they can get a bit sniffy about van conversions

They seem to get quite sniffy with me already from time to time!

There's a huge variety of different vehicles you've all seen.
So it appears if I turn up in a pick and yellow polka dot van, truck,
fire aplliance no will bat eyelid. My thought is a van or mpv sense
tells me the latter but my heart saya van, I'm pleased to hear I have
options.

>What do you plan to use as toilet?

That's a good point, and we do need at least a toilet, and really I think,
washing facilities too. If we lack either I suspect the aire experiment will
last 1 night only. It's clear to me from everyone's comments that the limiting
factor of us using a part self-conversion is what we feel we need for staying
on aires. As well as a loo, ottomh we need washing facilities and somewhere
comfortable to sit and sleep. What the vehicle looks like externally isn't
important.