Can you share 10 items good/bad you have or would want/avoid when buying a motorhome (1 Viewer)

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
We moved from Wokingham 12 months ago and now currently live in the west coast of Scotland to be closer to family and want to spend some time touring Scotland in summer months and other times in Europe, for sun and possibly skiing as well.

As others have said, the must haves/wastes of time will vary wildly between individual motorhomers. However, living on the west coast of Scotland would make effective fly-screens on windows and hab door an absolute must IMO. :wub::Smile:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
you are correct , a fixed bed does use up space.. but it also allows for a large garage.. and the captains chairs are great for lounging in.. not hard and uncomfortable as you suggest .. these are made by ISIR .. as fitted for drivers in quality coaches and trucks. see picture.

if we all thought the same and had the same requirements there wouldn't be so many layouts.. it's all down to choice.. not one better than the other..

View attachment 80656
As I said , ideal in a larger van, my son has one and my mate but they are both larger vans, and as for the rotating seats , yeah we have them as well but never use them apart from just a lay by stop or something, do you really want to sit in the same seat you have been in all day while driving.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
As I said , ideal in a larger van, my son has one and my mate but they are both larger vans, and as for the rotating seats , yeah we have them as well but never use them apart from just a lay by stop or something, do you really want to sit in the same seat you have been in all day while driving.

We often use our front seats - we don't have much choice if we are eating inside.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
yeah we have them as well but never use them apart from just a lay by stop or something, do you really want to sit in the same seat you have been in all day while driving.

am very happy with this arrangement thank you .. :D

but I say again.. there is no 'right' or 'wrong'.. no 'mine's is better than yours'

just preferences..

for example.. if I said ..

" Your U shaped lounge is a huge waste of space.. it's a Brit caravan thing "

that is subjective.. and only an opinion.. means nothing ..

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
do you really want to sit in the same seat you have been in all day while driving
This brings us back to "how do you use the van" - the way we use it (short hops between pitching & setting off walking) we'd NEVER be driving all day - max 2 hours! (well, maybe 2 x 2-hour stints)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
am very happy with this arrangement thank you .. :D

but I say again.. there is no 'right' or 'wrong'.. no 'mine's is better than yours'

just preferences..

for example.. if I said ..

" Your U shaped lounge is a huge waste of space.. it's a Brit caravan thing "

that is subjective.. and only an opinion.. means nothing ..
Why do you always have to take everything as a slight on you, never said anything was right or wrong anymore than you did , just saying what is right for us, as the op never said what size or anything they were looking for , maybe yours is the right layout, maybe not.
They were just asking for our opinion, which I gave from our perspective.

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
One other thing I would add to the " Must have " list is a good clear reversing camera with an easily visible monitor. If a tricky manoeuvre has to be done then one of us will always stand behind the van if possible to watch in 3D as it were but, when turning on roads or if only one of us is present, then a good reversing camera takes a lot of the stress away. From experience of 3 different ones I would say that the quality and usefulness varies a lot.

They can be retrofitted but I suspect that would be a fair amount of work and hassle.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Why do you always have to take everything as a slight on you.............
They were just asking for our opinion, which I gave from our perspective.

no idea what you mean.. and I don't feel slighted.. not in the slightest

it was you that asked..

"do you really want to sit in the same seat you have been in all day while driving."

I replied.. and said "am very happy with this arrangement thank you" :D

anyways.. off out for a walk.. toodle pips.. have fun :)

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
no idea what you mean.. and I don't feel slighted..

it was you that asked..

"do you really want to sit in the same seat you have been in all day while driving."

I replied.. and said "am very happy with this arrangement thank you" :D
Well there you see, that's where my grammar lets me down, when I said 'you' I didn't mean you personnel I meant the op. And anyway my argument still stands would anyone want to sit in the same seat they have sat in all day, I don't.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Well there you see, that's where my grammar lets me down, when I said 'you' I didn't mean you personnel I meant the op. And anyway my argument still stands would anyone want to sit in the same seat they have sat in all day, I don't.

Perhaps your info is more of a perspective rather than an argument. As stated above, our front seats are required to be used if eating inside. They happen to be more comfortable than our passenger seats. I would prefer not to sit in the all day and then during the evening but considering other options, it works for us.

Different views, different perspectives, different considerations; nothing will be perfect for everyone.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
And anyway my argument still stands would anyone want to sit in the same seat they have sat in all day, I don't.

I my opinion, or perhaps because of the type of chairs in our MH, the chairs become more like recliners once turned around, seat tipped up, back reclined, etc. Its not at all like the position in which you'd sit whilst travelling, the chairs become very different and are very comfortable.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I my opinion, or perhaps because of the type of chairs in our MH, the chairs become more like recliners once turned around, seat tipped up, back reclined, etc. Its not at all like the position in which you'd sit whilst travelling, the chairs become very different and are very comfortable.
I don't know how to put this without upsetting someone again , but this is just as I say if you have a fixed bed in its separate room it forces you to either sit in the front lounge seats which in some, but not all(y) are a bit of a compromise between belted traveling seats and seats at the table, or the driving seats, in a larger van this is ok as there s quite often other seating , but in a small van the u shape comes into its own as you then have a huge lounging area as well as a large full size double bed, without useing the front seats.
Drop down beds are another option that I have not had anything to do with but on the face of it seem to combine the benifits of both.

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Our first 2 vans in UK had a luton and the bathroom and kitchen in the middle with a U shaped area at the back that worked as either 2 singles or a big double. We loved the U shaped lounge, and found the storage space in the luton handy but 2 things were not, to our mind, very satisfactory with this layout:

The bathroom was directly behind the driver which meant the seat could not be adjusted very far back and visibility was restricted.
Because of the above only the passenger seat could be swivelled. Sometimes this was handy during the day for a quiet read but, at night, the cab lighting was not good enough to read by and there was no handy socket nearby to use a lamp. If you wanted light up there it had to be by an extension lead from the kitchen- so had to be turned off if you wanted a hot drink ! Because of this the cab area tended to get used as a storage place only and, because it was not well heated, it was all a bit gloomy and grim.

Our last 2 vans have had a low profile and an end kitchen with 2 bench seats. This has given us full use of the cab seats and the cab area as well as lots of light because of the overcab roof light - something we like as it gives good ventilation in summer and lots of light in winter.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Everyone has their style of living, so this is a hard question to answer, however without doubt the number one factor is payload payload payload This was an eyeopener for me as we bought our MH from friends and did not have a clue. Things can be added later as and when you find/see/need the "little" extras. I forget layout is also a factor.
Good luck Dave.

Last edited:

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Everyone has their style of living, so this is a hard question to answer, however without doubt the number one factor is payload payload payload This was an eyeopener for me as we bought our MH from friends and did not have a clue. Things can be added later as and when you find/see/need the "little" extras.
Good luck Dave.

Its easy to add the 'little' extras but layout is not easy to change... as we've just found out!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Our first 2 vans in UK had a luton and the bathroom and kitchen in the middle with a U shaped area at the back that worked as either 2 singles or a big double. We loved the U shaped lounge, and found the storage space in the luton handy but 2 things were not, to our mind, very satisfactory with this layout:

The bathroom was directly behind the driver which meant the seat could not be adjusted very far back and visibility was restricted.
Because of the above only the passenger seat could be swivelled. Sometimes this was handy during the day for a quiet read but, at night, the cab lighting was not good enough to read by and there was no handy socket nearby to use a lamp. If you wanted light up there it had to be by an extension lead from the kitchen- so had to be turned off if you wanted a hot drink ! Because of this the cab area tended to get used as a storage place only and, because it was not well heated, it was all a bit gloomy and grim.

Our last 2 vans have had a low profile and an end kitchen with 2 bench seats. This has given us full use of the cab seats and the cab area as well as lots of light because of the overcab roof light - something we like as it gives good ventilation in summer and lots of light in winter.
That is my take on it exactly, we use the over cab bed for storage, and as I said very rarely need the front seats, our shower/ toilet was a bit cramped but as we didn't need the wash basin as the sink is right outside the door I took it out and it means we now have a full sized shower room, and as to the gloomy part that as well was the reason for plenty of roof light.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Like most things in life, it is always a compromise...

For us the Must have's:-
- 2 travel seats
- fixed bed
- light coloured wood & finishes (Beauty Terrorist is claustrophobic)
- good sized garage
- good sized shower
- blown air heating
- cooker + 4 ring hob
- Large Fridge & freezer

Would love a longer van to accomodate bigger living area but not possible due to driveway.

Would like double floor etc - maybe next van.

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
I've always thought a 4 ring hob an absolute must and looked at those foreign vans with two or three and wondered how they managed.

Thinking about it though I don't think I have ever used all 4 rings on the cooker at once and I do cook quite a lot. I could do without at least one of them, especially if it made more worktop space. I do like the electric plate though ( one of the 4 built in to the cooker top) and use it all the time when on hook up.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
SOME ESSENTIALS (Not in order)

1. Despite the howls of protest, a Microwave! Breakfast Porridge in 2 mins, Chicken 'ding', soup, scrambled egg, even bacon. Bung anything in and 'ding' it's ready in a jiffy.

2. Cab air-con

3. Enough engine power to pull you and kit, without poor fuel economy.

4. Good payload

5. Lo-profile cab

6. A 'garage' (I wish I had one)

7. Roll-out awning

8. Decent heating system.

9. Small enough van to get on the drive (if you have one).

10. Something that hasn't got damp!

USELESS ITEMS?

• Multi-coloured naff decals
  • Outside BBQ point
  • Reversing camera
  • Cocktail cabinet
  • Leather seats
  • LED mood lighting
  • Mirror guards
  • Bling
Each to his own eh? :D

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Fascinating. Almost as many different answers as there are contributors, which says everything about motorhomers as a species.
My must have/good things:-
A good sized lounging area
A good, proper washroom
High payload
Gas low system
Automatic Oyster system
A bike rack
Comfortable front seats (Isri in ours)
Good storage, with external access
A wind out awning
A proper spare wheel!

And the not so good....
Habitation area aircon, never used it.
Couldn't think of any mor negatives!

Gary

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
When we were looking the biggest thing for us was the feeling of space. Didn't like the cramped feeling of the fixed bed. And diner option. Wanted a 6m ban with a large lounge, 4 berth and 4 seats. Also a large bathroom. We found it in ours and it has a drop down bed. We added a microwave find them very useful.

We didn't want a big van nothing above 6m. But now we know that is no big deal and would easily go to 7m. Didn't want an oven, cramped diner or a fixed bed.

After using this van for 18months I would like to add a garage and lounging space even if the bed is being used. Double floor and fully winterised.

OP
OP
L

Life of Reilly

Free Member
Oct 26, 2015
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Do not own one yet
Exp
Wow, you have certainly come up with some very good points, we obviously asked the right forum, and as many of you say it was a difficult question to fully answer as we all have different priorities.
A big thank you to you all for your replies, we think you have given us some great pointers to start with, so will ponder further and share our ultimate purchase when chosen.

Thanks again

Dave and Anne Simpson

OP
OP
L

Life of Reilly

Free Member
Oct 26, 2015
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Do not own one yet
Exp
Hi Dave, welcome to fun, we retired to Argyll 7 years ago, you need to look at a good selection of vans and then think about how you would use it. Where about are you based?

Bob
Hi Bob
We are living in Sandbank near Dunoon

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
we obviously asked the right forum,

indeed.. and to get the best from your future purchase join as full member for only £15 ..

it will be repaid many times over by the wealth of advice and information given freely by the members ..

good luck with the hunt

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
For me, the 'must have' starts with the construction..

My most important criteria when I chose my Hymer B644 was that it had no wood in the construction framework to rot. If it ever sufferers from water ingress, it won't rot the body..
The fixtures and fittings are good quality, there is no chipboard or MDF in the furniture construction.. the worktops are marine plywood, topped with high quality laminate.. the edges are solid wood, not sticky back plastic trim that will peel off as soon as it gets damp.

It is going on 15 years old.. and the interior is as good as new, with very few signs of wear or tear.. .. likewise the exterior.

'Waste of money' is subjective..

I don't need or want:

* Microwave oven.. just a wast of space and paload, to be be utilised fully, it requires mains 240v or a large battery bank with solar.
* Gas oven.. never had one that was much good.. just a waste of space and payload.
* Electric hot plate.. see microwave oven.
* A cocktail bar
* Mood lighting and bling.

For us.. Must Haves:

* Fixed bed.. have spent enough years making up a Rubics cube every night.

*Garage.. for e- bikes, chairs, tables, and other camping paraphernalia.

* At least 3 belted travelling seats.

* Under 7mts. this was my max length for drive.. also, the bigger they are the more difficult it is to find parking .. used to have an 11mt RV and it was great to live in but very restricted for sites and places it could be taken.. ideal for full time..

* Good payload.. this is critical and you must check.

* For all year use both here and abroad.. A Double floor, fully winterised, both waste and fresh tanks housed in the void.. .. no exposed fresh water or drain pipes.

* Solar power and twin 85ah batteries to enable off grid camping..

* Spare wheel.. many new models come without and have a tube of puncture repair gunk.

* Cab air-con.. almost essential for travelling in southern Europe in summer..
Hab air con not fussy.. if it had it fine.. if not wouldn't bother fitting.

I have since fitted

* Auto satellite dish... a luxury that is not essential.. but after years of using tripods and other manual sat dishes, it was my treat to me.

* 200 watt Sterling pure sine wave inverter, to charge cameras and anything that cannot be charged direct from the 12v with an adapter.

* Twin 11kg Gaslow refillable LPG bottles..

Future.

* Would like to fit cruise control..

you can view my van here .
Broken Link Removed[/

I agree with most of the above, but with regards to Gaslow, we have just had the system fitted and gone for one bottle Gaslow and one interchangeable one.
Our reason for this is that we use our heating to keep the van warm and aired during the winter and it's a long way to our nearest lpg filling station and I don't want to have to drive there if there is snow and ice on the road. We use bottled gas for cooking in the house so always have 2 or 3 spares in reserve.
So I suppose what I'm trying to say is that may be folks should consider their useage before fitting a full Gaslow type system, but yes, price of a refill and not having to lug heavy bottles around is a great plus

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
@Scattycat

Our reason for this is that we use our heating to keep the van warm and aired during the winter and it's a long way to our nearest lpg filling station

only question I have is why ..

have never heated a van when not in use.. I keep it ventilated , roof light slightly open with the fridge and cupboard doors open ..

on nice days I open it up and let the fresh air circulate.

but this is another topic that has been 'well aired' before.. :) whatever you think is best..

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
For us:

A class
No fixed bed (makes for better lounge / shorter van)
Front lounge (so we have the use of the cab seats)
Entrance door near rear (so it doesn't open into the lounge area)
Shower separate from toilet / basin
20' - 24' long (my choice - we have room to park anything)
No large fixed table

As most have suggested it has to be your choice.

And if it's your first van it won't be what you want - you will change it so buy with a view to good residuals. My advice would be buy your first van second-hand. After that whatever suits your choice / budget.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back