Can you over solar (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If anyone saw my post in another thread, I have now got two 100w panels , one free, now, I have two 85 ah battery's, and fixed the one panel on the roof and over a long weekend could no where use all my electric, so I have another panel lieing about now, tried it loose on the roof yesterday and it seems to do the same as the other, now thinking of putting it on as well, but do I need it , will it be any benifit or will it fry my battery's and just be a bit more weight to lug about.:(

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
We have 400w fixed flat on the roof. I was always very sceptical about their use in this country, and voiced such many times, but now I am converted. RV's tend to be a bit 12v hungry, but we left home last Friday week and have not used the power supply yet. I know the weather has been a bit decent the last few days, but my big old battery bank was back up to 100%, by noon today and Managements medical kit has a decent draw. The biggest thing though has to be the lights. Conversion from halogen or tungsten to led is a must. With every light on, and there are a few, I draw just 1A. (y)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Solar Panels are like cold beers in the fridge...

There is no such thing as "too many".

JJ :cool:

Sounds OK in theory
Providing you've got a suitably sized fridge
image.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You wont fry your batteries if the controller is working correctly as it will limit the charging current. As for weight, the 100W panel I fitted recently weighed 9 Kg which is nothing really.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We left our van in France while we brought our car back for an MOT and new clutch and to get stocked up with tools and bits for the house. First time we have left the van on its own with no EHU while we aren't using it. We have 3 leisure batteries ( 110ah each) and 110 watts of solar.
Its been there for 3 weeks now and batteries are reporting 100% when I text the alarms.
It must be nice and sunny in Brittany!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I think a balance can be struck. I have 400w solar but only 250Ah of battery, fine when its not very sunny but in the summer I can't use a lot of what is produced as the batteries are always 100%. I do use an electric kettle to use a bit and save gas but I could probably benefit from another battery, but nowhere to put one.

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
If you arent flattening your batteries regularly, then you dont need anymore battery power. sounds like you are fine as you are.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Never have too many, been in Portugal & Spain for the last 2 months with crystal clear blue skys wall to wall sunshine the most I've had out of my 2 x 100 watt panels is 95 watts at this time of year.

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
So if your solar panels are producing many amps of power but the batteries are already full where does it all go, just asking?:rolleyes:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
So if your solar panels are producing many amps of power but the batteries are already full where does it all go, just asking?:rolleyes:

Basically it doesn't go anywhere as the controller disconnects, if you want to use the solar that wont fit into the already full batteries you can fit a Votronic AES (Automatic Energy Selection) solar controller that will switch an AES fridge from gas to 12 volts and use the "spare solar" running your fridge.

To answer the original question "can you over solar" I would say yes but only if you have that much that your maximum charge current exceeds the maximum charge rate of your batteries.

Pinched fro Mastervolt web site,

The charge current
A rule of thumb for gel and AGM batteries states that the minimum charge current should be 15 to 25% of the battery capacity. Connected equipment usually also needs to be powered during charging, so include the power used for that purpose in the abovementioned figure. This means that, with a battery set of 400 Ah and a connected load of 10 amps, battery charger capacity has to be between 70 and 90 amps in order to charge the battery in reasonable time.

The maximum charge current is 50% for a gel battery and 30% for an AGM battery. For a Lithium Ion battery the charge current can be the same as the capacity. A 180 Ah Lithium Ion battery, for example, can be recharged with 180 amps.

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Can I just say that all these people are talking absolute Tosh, except JJ's beer comment of course.
Safe did someone say SAFE!!!!!!
Oversolaring ( See its so Dangerous it's even got its own word) is one of "The" most Dangerous things a Motor Homer can do!!!!!!! BUT
as a gesture of good will, give the panel to me, Il'l pay the postage and I will put it next to my existing panel
and give you yearly updates on the dangers you have avoided
These forums are good arn't they and it's what friends are for(y)
Geo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back