Can You Boost The Wifi reception on a Laptop (1 Viewer)

E

Enodreven

Deleted User
Hi,

I have been trying to find out if its possible to boost the reception strength of my laptops Wifi capabilities, it has built in wifi.

It seems that you can purchase add on's to your router but i haven't found anything for the other way around ?

Is it possible, and if so how do you do it, I have checked the configuration for the built in Wifi and made some adjustments, but they don't seem to make that much difference ?

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Best way is to add an external pc card in the slot with an aerial.

Much better reception than the built-in antennae.

Downside is the card/aerial protruding from the machine.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The question has been answered but maplins have an alternative on special offer
this week, WiFi Boost Kit £99.99

radar_head.gif

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
I thought it was easy to add an aerial to the router end if you are only looking at your own system?

Saw my Bro In Law had a booster aerial and claimed it only cost a few £'s. Seemed to work well.

Regards

Chris

R

Ralph

Deleted User
Hi,

I have been trying to find out if its possible to boost the reception strength of my laptops Wifi capabilities, it has built in wifi.

It seems that you can purchase add on's to your router but i haven't found anything for the other way around ?

Is it possible, and if so how do you do it, I have checked the configuration for the built in Wifi and made some adjustments, but they don't seem to make that much difference ?

At last! I'm able to help someone!

See Link Removed

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: We have a Parkervision Supermax which is supposed to work up to a mile? It sure does pull in signals when the normal Wifi doesn't. You can also build a Wifi Can booster or buy one:-

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

There are lot's more out there. There are even some on You Tube. :winky:

Knaus680

Free Member
Sep 11, 2007
Home base is Newcastle, but currently full timing
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Feb 2007
Hi there. We use WiFi a lot, and use a USB 'dongle thing' which doesn't exactly 'boost' the signal but increases the chance of picking signals up. Just need a USB extension cable so that you can poke the dongle out of a roof vent.
One of ours can be used in your hand [no need to turn on laptop] to find signals first then you just need to move the van to the spot and juggle a bit until you have a good signal. Sending this from a hotel car park in France! Good luck!

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
Hi, I use one of these and find it is very good at boosting weak signals. I use it in the van quite often well away from Reception which is often where the strongest signal is found. I sometimes have to put the dish on a box so that it can 'see' out of the window.

Link Removed

Phil.

hogan

Free Member
Aug 4, 2007
Valencia,Spain
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
My lap top also has built in wifi but i turn it off use a pcm card with home made canntena works up to a mile away

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back