Can we talk about beds? (1 Viewer)

TerriSpirit

Free Member
Aug 10, 2017
Chelmsford. Essex
Funster No
You have all been super helpful with the pitfalls of buying a Motorhome for the first time. I've now joined the site as a paid up member so hope to get to know you guys better over the next year.
This question to you all is; what sort of bed type do you prefer and why? We will probably get a 4-6 berth and please bear in mind we are in our late 50's. We intend to use the camper the majority of the time with just the two of us but intend to take a couple of little grandchildren [under 8's] with us occasionally too. We like the idea of a fixed double but equally would be happy to be in bunks if they take 80-85kgs? We have heard that the beds above the Cab are a little small and hard to use so would really like to know your experiences and what works best for you? Many thanks in advance :)

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
IMG_4950.JPG Couldn't see us getting into bunks anytime soon and we are late 50s. We started with a transverse bed, but have settled on 2 singles which can be made into a double.
Grand kids sleep on a pull down manual bed that comes down over the lounge.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TerriSpirit

TerriSpirit

Free Member
Aug 10, 2017
Chelmsford. Essex
Funster No
View attachment 180971 Couldn't see us getting into bunks anytime soon and we are late 50s. We started with a transverse bed, but have settled on 2 singles which can be made into a double.
Grand kids sleep on a pull down manual bed that comes down over the lounge.
What motorhome have you got? it looks lovely! :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
We had an A-class with a pull down bed which was great as the bed could be left made up and simply lifted away out of sight.

In our current van we have similar to @MH 55 FUN , a big U-shape lounge that turns into a huge bed. Ours is great to sleep on, but can be a pain sliding off the end at night for the toilet :)

Our next van will have the large rear singles at the back that can be made into one huge bed, same as @Dan and Jan above.

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Having had to make beds in our first van, the next two were transverse, OK but not so good for night loo visits. Our latest has two fixed single beds, (can be made into a huge double) but we like the two singles configuration. This makes less room in the lounge area, but we live outside if possible so it does not matter.
Phil

Upvote 0

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
18645357-3D9E-4966-93CA-D17C70C0158B-986-0000018465686D2E.jpeg
What motorhome have you got? it looks lovely! :)
Just got a Burstner ixeo 726g 55. 7.39m long fits on the driveway a treat. Looked a loads the same layout. Chausson Welcome 99 or Chausson Welcome 717 have the same layout but the over lounge bed was electronic and all the ones I looked at were faulty.

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I didn't enjoy making my first caravan bed up every night and putting the bedding away every morning, so my second caravan had a fixed French bed and I loved it.

My first motorhome had a fixed island bed at the rear, which was quite luxurious. That van also had a double overcab bed for the kids, but not practical long term for adults.

Second motorhome had fixed singles, which were nice and comfortable, but if the kids joined us, we had to make up the double in the lounge and that reminded me that all these years later and I still don't like making beds up every night.

For that reason, my new panel van conversion has a fixed bed (y)

Upvote 0

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
I hate making up beds, the singles stay made up, as does the over lounge bed when we take the grandkids. It sits up into the roof like it was never there. Some people say it reduces head height but we do not find any issue.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
what sort of bed type do you prefer and why?

The great problem with a nice easy to live with fixed bed is it's six foot long. Over the cab it effectively takes up no room. Put it at a low level and the designer has to find over six extra feet. You can stretch the whole MH or you compromise with a tiny kitchen and poor lounge space.

When you get round to sitting in MHs keep this in mind.

You do have one advantage, being kids you probably have 7 tonnes on your licence so can go the BIG route.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
We have no problem making up our bed every night as it only takes a couple of minutes- and yes, we did once time it! As we're both quite tall the fixed beds were no use to us and our van allows for either two singles or a huge double. It gives us maximum lounging space during the day and then a very spacious and comfy bed at night. I really didn't fancy either bunks or overcab beds. Only you will know what will suit you. Its probably also worth thinking about where you would sit in the evening once the grandchildren have gone to bed and how easy it is then for you to get ready for bed without disturbing them.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I wouldn't consider any van unless it has fixed beds and from fixed table, too many memories of messing about in caravans even our last one of those had a fixed bed.
Our first van had a French bed, last one and current one fixed singles and being an A Class front drop down double. With this arrangement you also get a big garage.

Upvote 0
Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
On the other hand we wouldn't consider any van with fixed beds, just wasted space in our opinion.

We have a quite small and elderly(?) Inca (see avatar), with various bed configurations, a very large double, two small single above the cab, or two full size singles where the double would be..
We prefer two singles.. beds convert in minutes with no heavy lifting or moving etc.. we use extra large sleeping bags (4ft wide) and mattress toppers that all roll up, so from standing up to being in bed about five minutes.. and super comfortable too.

Not knocking other people's choice but you don't need a big vehicle to get a good nights sleep.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
We have a fixed French style bed ( think that means a slice is removed to allow for the bathroom door to open.....that's where my disabled husband sleeps. I get the drop down double bed over the cab. I was determined not to have to make up any beds on a daily basis.

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Don't you find making up your bed each night a pain?

We did, after 7 years of owning a small VW camper. That's why our first MH had an overcab 'Luton' bed, but by our mid-50s we were getting a bit fed up with the low confined space up there (I'm not claustrophobic either) and the climb up and down the ladder, which is literally a pain when the joints begin to creak with age. We had two fixed bunks at the back too, which either stored gubbins or other family members if they came along with us.

We do however prefer fixed beds, so our current MH has a fixed double bed at the back above a cavernous boot. The real gimmick is you can raise or lower the bed using an electric mechanism, so if we get to the point where we need a lower bed to climb into, and we don't need bikes upright in the boot, we can arrange it at the press of a button. Even at it's highest setting you can still sit up in it, which you couldn't in the Luton. There's a dinette that can be made into a second double if needed.

I should add that our first MH didn't have swivel seats in the cab so the space below the Luton was wasted. The current one has swivel seats so in theory we could seat 6 around the dinette. Plenty of space up front when there's only two of you. The vehicle's about 7 metres long in total.

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We had rear lounge-make-up beds in our caravan - a real pain in our view.

We're on our third MH now, and all have had fixed beds - much better.

The first couple were French double beds, pushed up to one side of the van. Very comfy and convenient, until a middle of the night visit to the bathroom was required. Fine for the person on the open side, but not so handy for the person next to the wall - who has to climb over their partner to get to the loo.

Now have large fixed single beds in our current van - perfect... for us at any rate! (y)

You are right to give very careful consideration to the subject of sleeping arrangements. Especially as the years tick by and getting some good Zzzzs becomes ever more important. ;)

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
A fixed island bed is a must for us. We wouldn't look at any other configuration. We generally go to bed and get up at different times so an island bed lets us do this without disturbing each other.

We slept in an over cab bed once and that will be the only time we ever do. Enough said.

I don't go away in the van to move furniture around so converting a U shaped lounge is not happening. I don't care if it takes 5 minutes or 5 seconds, I won't be doing it.

Our A class now has a drop down bed as well which we treat as the second bed if we have anyone with us. I drops down far enough so there's plenty of space and it's actually bigger than the island bed but we've never slept in it so I can't comment on how comfortable or otherwise it is.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
A class with 2 fixed singles over a large garage. We are getting to the age when nature calls a few time each night and we do not want to wake each other up. If we ever want to get cosy it can make up into a huge double.

We also have a large overcab 5ft wide double that drops down low over the cab. Grandkids can go in there when they are a bit older.

All the beds have Froli springs which make them very comfortable.

Upvote 0

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
You will see from the posts that there is no right or wrong when it comes to beds, you need to go with what suits you. I wouldn't rule out the overcab arrangement as it can serve other purposes - great for storage, especially bedding but also an ideal bed for the grandchildren. I know a lot of kids love sleeping up top! Other factors will assist with your choice, budget and length of vehicle re where to park at home being just 2 of them. Enjoy the search!

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We used to make the bed every night.......then unmake the bed every morning!
We now have a Hymer with the drop down bed over the driving area, lovely, make the bed, push it up....evening-pull it down and climb in & that's it, loads of room and can sit up for a morning cuppa!
I'm well into my 60's, he's my toy-boy!

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Its all about individual lifestyle. We've probably tried the lot in both caravans and motorhomes. Making a bed up late at night when you've been drinking is an absolute pain for us but others don't mind. Also climbing over each other or down steps to use the loo in the middle of the night is also another pain. Best solution for us was an island bed and we absolutely love our Knaus Sun TI. If I had one improvement to make it would be the option of another bed (its only 2 berth really) this would give us the option to sleep alone if either of us got restless or started snoring. Be careful with beds that leave little headroom above.

Upvote 0

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
We chose a fixed French bed at the rear with a front lounge that converts to a double bed if we (rarely) take anyone with us, there's an accordion sliding door between to give privacy if required. I sleep on the open side as I use the loo in the night, the boss doesn't and she's older than me which is decidedly unfair (we're mid/late50's), but if she gets up it doesn't disturb me really. With the years passing frightening fast now we chose not to make up beds daily and not to have to climb up and down.
We have a large removable table and swivel front seats, the table seats 4 easily with room to spare and could seat 6 if required but we tend to dine out or in the awning anyway.
It's a case of each to their own and you'll find what suits you best.(hopefully before you buy!)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TerriSpirit

TerriSpirit

Free Member
Aug 10, 2017
Chelmsford. Essex
Funster No
Wow thank you each and everyone of you! :D All your comments have been really helpful. It seems most of you like the Single fixed bed option, which is something that would seem to work for us. I really appreciated all your different takes on it as it helps me work out the ones we associate with. We are off motorhome hunting today. We are not going to buy, just check them out but you have definitely given me food for thought!
(y)

Upvote 0

Jaycee3

Free Member
Dec 5, 2016
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
I had initially thought I would be ok in an overcab bed but having tried getting in and out of a few, decided it wasn't for me. Don't be afraid to climb in the beds when you are looking around and see if you think you would like how they feel/getting in and out in the night etc.

Our MH has a transverse bed at the back which hubby and I share. Only been away 4 nights but so far, he sleeps by the steps and when one of our dogs wants a wee in the night he gets up :) I then pop while he is out of bed. The bed is a bit bigger than a double. It is slightly longer (our fitted sheets don't fit right - got to get some flat ones).

Our son (10) has the over cab bed as his boy cave. He loves it. The netting (to stop you falling out) comes up half way and offers him some privacy. I might make some curtains too..

The dogs sleep in the dinette area either on the seats or under the table (where they also travel). When I am cooking, we are eating or generally sitting around, they (one or both) like to lie on the bed at the back.

It seems to be working so far :) Good luck with your search.

Jane

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The bed is a bit bigger than a double. It is slightly longer (our fitted sheets don't fit right - got to get some flat ones).

Duvalay supply motorhome make and model specific fitted sheets.

http://www.duvalay.co.uk/Shaped-Fitted-Sheets

When you order they will send you a drawing with the dimensions of the mattress which you have to confirm before they process your order.

We have some for our island bed and they fit perfectly. They're also high quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We had a 6 berth, u shape lounge double dinette and overcab, it was great for taking the grandchildren awy, and gave 'you and me' space, great for lounging too. Downsides, we had no outside storage apart from the bile rack, so stowing large items like chairs and a set of golf clubs proved challenging. I slept in the overcab and John used the lounge. Changed to a garage model, great storage for chairs, motorbike OR golfclubs, I use the overgarage double and John the overcab, gives him room to manouvre his CPAP and mkes my nocturnal habits so much easier. We share if taking 2 grandchildren, if we take 3 we use an awning and I sleep out there with one of the children. We only have 4 seat belts so either have one or more children delivered or John takes his car. Think long and hard and once you think you know what will suit hire and try it out. Not cheap, but can save a very expensive mistake. We had so much fun looking hope you do too and that your first van also suits for 5 years.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Don't you find making up your bed each night a pain?
Takes me all of 3 mins to make up our two singles and possibly 5 mins to unmake which includes rolling duvets up and stashing them both in bags,,,BUSBY,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,k

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back