can this be turn in to a small camper van (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
$_86.JPG

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
why not, ideal for small people i would have thought, does the chap who lives in a doblo still live in his? think his username is @onemanandhisdoblo, or have i got that wrong?
most of the time we spend outside anyway..
(am not saying he's little by the way as have never met him..)

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Definitely. I "converted" two Connects before getting my current van.
Both Connects had a fixed single bed, gas stove, electric hob, electric coolbox, EHU and toilet.
A very good vehicle for travelling solo.

Camper 6a.JPG

It was never intended to be a luxury vehicle but it served it's purpose for me at the time, cost little (virtually nothing) to "convert, wonderful MPG and could park anywhere. It's even the same colour.

Some years later I did almost the same with a Tourneo Connect which also enabled me to wander anywhere at an extremely low cost.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Good link @CWH
I like the top one. Goes to show just how much use of space you can make.

Bottom one is little more than a tent gimmick..

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
the reason i ask is i would like to do a charity run to Marco and back
straight down and
then auction off the camper on eBay with the funds going to jims charity
all materials will be begged stolen borrow or reccalamed materials it is mechanically sound
or is this to small at the end of the day it will be wroth a cupile of hundred quid for the charity
going to blag my way their and back that's the challenge.
blag ferry fars fuel will buy my grub hopeful find sponsors for insurance for the trip
it will be a endurance chaleng so how long will it take to drive a wreck to Marco and back apart from rest brakes no stopping
would be looking for spare motorhome bits and bobs for the conversion
@Jim i will nead stickers from the charity to put on the van
sorry if i have jumped the gun Jim but this is a very personal thing for my shelve and family and if i can help in any littal way i will
if this in not ok jim loch and delete the thread
bill

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I think @Terry converted a van like the one pictured, 2-3 years ago.

I also met a couple in a car park last week who had a sort of car conversion ( can't remember make) but they said it was perfect for them. So I'm sure it can be done, Bill.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Oh wow, that sounds amazing
I like the top one
I know a couple + dog who've got this one in their Berlingo

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Saw a converted VW Caddy with a couple staying in it in Freiberg in Germany so I don't see why not (y)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
That's a great thing to do, Bill. What a challenge. I am sure that you would get sponsorship from funsters.
How about approaching spacecampers for sponsorships? Could be great publicity for their product.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I think @Terry converted a van like the one pictured, 2-3 years ago.

I also met a couple in a car park last week who had a sort of car conversion ( can't remember make) but they said it was perfect for them. So I'm sure it can be done, Bill.
Yep we did a VW Caddy and I spent 4 nights in it at Chester
:D. Never to be repeated :) good memoires :LOL: but that is what it needs to be memories:D
We spent about 3 k on the van putting everything new alloy wheels.windows.RR bed.cooker sink and upholstery ....not saying you are going to spend anywhere near that figure but you would prob be better thinking along the lines of a mattress and camping stove then sell as a van (y) good luck with your challenges (y)
Terry

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Where is Marco, how far are going, don't see a problem if you are on your own, years ago had a week in Wales with a mate in an a35 van with nowt but a mattress and camping stove, happy days(y):)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I read it as Morocco (with a typo), as it sounds like an endurance challenge.

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Great Idea @Wildbill - you will enjoy the challenge, and also for a good cause.

10 years ago, my son & I drove a Volvo 740 Diesel Estate to Banjul, in Gambia for charity.

http://www.dakarchallenge.co.uk/

Sam - Sahara.jpg

The 5 rules were:
  1. Buy a LHD Car for £100 or less
  2. Spend £15 doing it up
  3. Drive unsupported across the Sahara
  4. When you get to Banjul, donate the car to Charity
  5. Rules are made to be broken
We bought it for £100 from a scrap yard. It was then a non-runner, with most of the engine in the boot. The radiator had split causing the engine to overheat and the cylinder head has distorted like a banana. I had it skimmed, and the valve seats re-cut, and once it was rebuilt it ran like a dream. It was a nice and simple 6-cylinder engine, no electronics, with mechanical pumps and injection timing.

We put in a false floor in the back, with room for plastic storage boxes underneath. The back seats were folded down, but one section of the floor was removable, so that one rear seat could be re-instated.
We were able to sleep on the false floor, on air-beds. Spare wheels, fuel, water, spares etc were on the roof.

We drove to Algiciras in 4 days to meet other rally members. We had to replace the gearbox there, (Sourced from a scrap-yard in Salisbury, by telephone, and couriered overnight to Gibraltar by DHL, courtesy of the good will of my work-place) so in order to make up time caught a 6:00 AM ferry to Tangier, and drove non-stop to Agidir, by 1:00 AM the following day - quite a drive! We would have liked to see places like Rabat, Casablanca and Marrakesh, but just had to drive past.

The roads were very good, right down as far as the South of Western Sahara, as I am sure many on here can confirm. I remember seeing a lot of Motor Homes at the top of the Dakhla Peninsular, and hoping that one day I would own one.

We then drove for three days across sand-dunes, and on the second day, after a particularly hard section we stopped to let the engines cool. I was standing looking at my engine, with the bonnet open when the radiator split, casing boiling water and steam to hit me in the face. Only the quick thinking of some of the other teams - stripping off my tee shirt, laying me down with a towel over my chest and face, and dribbling cold water over me - prevented permanent damage though I was in pain for quite a few days, and my face was the colour of a tomato. After about a week, it all peeled off, revealing undamaged skin underneath.

We finally made it to Banjul, where the car was auctioned for £1,400 for charity!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Great Idea @Wildbill - you will enjoy the challenge, and also for a good cause.

10 years ago, my son & I drove a Volvo 740 Diesel Estate to Banjul, in Gambia for charity.

http://www.dakarchallenge.co.uk/

View attachment 131462

The 5 rules were:
  1. Buy a LHD Car for £100 or less
  2. Spend £15 doing it up
  3. Drive unsupported across the Sahara
  4. When you get to Banjul, donate the car to Charity
  5. Rules are made to be broken
We bought it for £100 from a scrap yard. It was then a non-runner, with most of the engine in the boot. The radiator had split causing the engine to overheat and the cylinder head has distorted like a banana. I had it skimmed, and the valve seats re-cut, and once it was rebuilt it ran like a dream. It was a nice and simple 6-cylinder engine, no electronics, with mechanical pumps and injection timing.

We put in a false floor in the back, with room for plastic storage boxes underneath. The back seats were folded down, but one section of the floor was removable, so that one rear seat could be re-instated.
We were able to sleep on the false floor, on air-beds. Spare wheels, fuel, water, spares etc were on the roof.

We drove to Algiciras in 4 days to meet other rally members. We had to replace the gearbox there, (Sourced from a scrap-yard in Salisbury, by telephone, and couriered overnight to Gibraltar by DHL, courtesy of the good will of my work-place) so in order to make up time caught a 6:00 AM ferry to Tangier, and drove non-stop to Agidir, by 1:00 AM the following day - quite a drive! We would have liked to see places like Rabat, Casablanca and Marrakesh, but just had to drive past.

The roads were very good, right down as far as the South of Western Sahara, as I am sure many on here can confirm. I remember seeing a lot of Motor Homes at the top of the Dakhla Peninsular, and hoping that one day I would own one.

We then drove for three days across sand-dunes, and on the second day, after a particularly hard section we stopped to let the engines cool. I was standing looking at my engine, with the bonnet open when the radiator split, casing boiling water and steam to hit me in the face. Only the quick thinking of some of the other teams - stripping off my tee shirt, laying me down with a towel over my chest and face, and dribbling cold water over me - prevented permanent damage though I was in pain for quite a few days, and my face was the colour of a tomato. After about a week, it all peeled off, revealing undamaged skin underneath.

We finally made it to Banjul, where the car was auctioned for £1,400 for charity!
take it that was the plymouth to bangul runs that used to happen.
bet you will never forget the entry into gambia . i always think its one of the worse ones you could have ,
used to see quite a few going through morocco at one time .
i believe it got stopped as alot of cars didnt sell and no import tax was paid but they were left there. but nice one .
sorry just looked at the top of your pics and it seems its all still happening ,.i better go back to sleep,ha ha .
it was the plymouth dakar we used to see.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
That's a great thing to do, Bill. What a challenge. I am sure that you would get sponsorship from funsters.
How about approaching spacecampers for sponsorships? Could be great publicity for their product.
the chaleng is to make it from salvaged material's with the minimum of out side influence dont want to remote any company's products as what i am doing might not go with ther line of products company that sell carivan parts heve shown a interest in donating bits just for a striker on the van nead to keep it simple not in to sending endless emails. and begin letters
bill

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
That first link from @CWH could have been a photo of the back of our first (DIY) camper based on a Toyota Hiace minibus! We used to put a platform over the front two seats to make a single for one of the kids - the other kids had a pup tent. It was a brilliant set-up, cheap to do and we went miles in it - would park anywhere. We went to France twice.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
There's one for sale in this weeks "West Briton"

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
There's one for sale in this weeks "West Briton"
This one?
324486266_1.jpg

VW CADDY CAMPER 1.9TD AUTO 36K 2010/10 (NO VAT) VOLKSWAGEN FACTORY SPEC ONLY MADE FOR 2 YEARS CADDY MAXI LIFE CAMPER 1.9TDI AUTOMATIC DSG "ONLY 36K" FVWSH DEMO+1 OWNER X4 SEATS WITH BELTS,OUTSTANDING CONDITION MUST BE SEEN,AIR CON REAR PARKING SENSORS ELECTRIC HEATED MIRRORS FRONT FOGS ALLOYS PRIVACY GLASS POP UP ROOF WITH AIR VENT AWNING ELECTRIC HOOK UP WITH CONVERTER SWITCH INSIDE LED LIGHTS WATER TANK BUILT IN HEATER SINK COOKER FRIDGE TABLE FOLDING REAR SEATS WITH SEAT BELTS FOR BED PLENTY OF STORAGE/CUPBOARD SPACE BLANK OUT PANELS FOR WINDOWS visit PG SERVICES.NET or EBAY for more info/photos,warranty at asking price,hpi checked,cards accepted,delivery arranged,px poss car or ?, £16,999 Tel: 01736 369940

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I dont want to put a damper on this, BUT, if you are thinking of selling the van in Morocco the import taxes will cost more than the van is worth. Vehicles going in, must come out with the passport holder. It is to stop Morocco becoming a dumping ground for Europe's bangers. If it was possible to just leave old vans there I would have jumped on the bandwagon years ago.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
@Wildbill
Further to the discussion in the 'a stark warning' thread, please tell me you will be sleeping properly ( as best you can) and not solo driving. Want you back in one piece:D

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
the reason i ask is how long ......will it take to drive a wreck to Marco and back .....
bill

It looks like Bill plans to bring it back and auction it off in UK

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
This one?
324486266_1.jpg

VW CADDY CAMPER 1.9TD AUTO 36K 2010/10 (NO VAT) VOLKSWAGEN FACTORY SPEC ONLY MADE FOR 2 YEARS CADDY MAXI LIFE CAMPER 1.9TDI AUTOMATIC DSG "ONLY 36K" FVWSH DEMO+1 OWNER X4 SEATS WITH BELTS,OUTSTANDING CONDITION MUST BE SEEN,AIR CON REAR PARKING SENSORS ELECTRIC HEATED MIRRORS FRONT FOGS ALLOYS PRIVACY GLASS POP UP ROOF WITH AIR VENT AWNING ELECTRIC HOOK UP WITH CONVERTER SWITCH INSIDE LED LIGHTS WATER TANK BUILT IN HEATER SINK COOKER FRIDGE TABLE FOLDING REAR SEATS WITH SEAT BELTS FOR BED PLENTY OF STORAGE/CUPBOARD SPACE BLANK OUT PANELS FOR WINDOWS visit PG SERVICES.NET or EBAY for more info/photos,warranty at asking price,hpi checked,cards accepted,delivery arranged,px poss car or ?, £16,999 Tel: 01736 369940

yes that's the one CW

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
why not, ideal for small people i would have thought, does the chap who lives in a doblo still live in his? think his username is @onemanandhisdoblo, or have i got that wrong?
most of the time we spend outside anyway..
(am not saying he's little by the way as have never met him..)

Er....you mean me? If so:
  1. I'm not that mad that I'd live it in full-time. A few weeks max.
  2. 5'11"
:)

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I dont want to put a damper on this, BUT, if you are thinking of selling the van in Morocco the import taxes will cost more than the van is worth. Vehicles going in, must come out with the passport holder. It is to stop Morocco becoming a dumping ground for Europe's bangers. If it was possible to just leave old vans there I would have jumped on the bandwagon years ago.
I won't be walking home it a return trip if I spend one night thare it will be to long the chaleng is thare and back
Then either car auction or eBay sticker and all
Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back