Can someone tell me what holds its value best (1 Viewer)

Richmansoccer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2010
Funster No
Hi All,
I am ready to invest circa £20k into a motorhome, the only requirements I have are its only for the wife and I so max 4 berth? would like u shape or l shape lounge? would like around 2003-5 year, quite like the build of Mercedes CI Cipro? what else do I need to look out for? have seen LH drives but are they hard to resale? :Smile:

OP
OP
R

Richmansoccer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2010
Funster No
Members in oxford

Hi - Are there any members in Oxford, that can talk and show their motorhome - plus points & tips for a prospective purchaser of a motorhome?:Smile:

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi and welcome :thumb: what holds it's value best ::bigsmile: Anything second hand :thumb: let someone else take the big hit :ROFLMAO:- Hymers are what a lot of people aspire to :RollEyes: but any van holds it price after about 3/4 yrs but this will be reflected come sale time.Cheaper van = cheaper come selling time if you understand what I am saying.
If you are handy you could always leave deprecation out of it by doing a good self build and selling after a couple of yrs making a profit :thumb: GOOD being the hard bit :thumb: or you will waste more money than buying a new van :ROFLMAO:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Hi All,
I am ready to invest circa £20k into a motorhome, the only requirements I have are its only for the wife and I so max 4 berth? would like u shape or l shape lounge? would like around 2003-5 year, quite like the build of Mercedes CI Cipro? what else do I need to look out for? have seen LH drives but are they hard to resale? :Smile:

you will allways have somm depriciation on any motorhome the thing is to get the use out of it and not have it stood idle loosing money
the Euro/American is the main differance
if you want some thing that you could live in full time for a few years and then sell on go American the euro models are light weight chassis and engins have little extra left for towing or carrying much more than its self up hills.

a good RV for £20k will last you years
:thumb:
good luck with your search it took us over 9 months to find the right motorhome dont go too big as 7.7ton is a big beast we kept it down to 27ft long so it can get about on our uk and euro roads
Ian&Carole

Upvote 0

WinnietheBrave

Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
I have a 1993 Winniebago Brave, 22ft long, 6.2lt V8 diesel, I'm getting around 18 to the gallon loaded up, that's cruising around 55 to 60 mph. It's the perfect size IMHO for the UK roads. It has more equipment than many euro MH's and its all solid, not built like a caravan.
I paid £15000 for it last year, and I reckon I will get most of that return when I come to sell, which may be sooner than later if I get planning permission (another story).

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I have a 1993 Winniebago Brave, 22ft long, 6.2lt V8 diesel, I'm getting around 18 to the gallon loaded up, that's cruising around 55 to 60 mph. It's the perfect size IMHO for the UK roads. It has more equipment than many euro MH's and its all solid, not built like a caravan.
I paid £15000 for it last year, and I reckon I will get most of that return when I come to sell, which may be sooner than later if I get planning permission (another story).
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: You are deluded :ROFLMAO:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hii,

Buy something with an end lounge and lowish mileage with full history, Sundances are popular but whatever you buy you will get hit unless you resell privately and thats hard work.

Good luck

Peter

Upvote 0

bigfish

Free Member
May 20, 2009
Eastleigh, Hants
Funster No
Exp
8 years, but had caravans & Tents before that
We Bought a 52reg Rapido 741f in may 09, from a trader for 24K
traded it in this year for an 02 Rapido 770f, "what we tried to get last year"
difference is rear seat belts for the kids,and table layout.
Anyway we got exactly what we paid for the first one, and paid the extra for what we wanted.:Doh:

Therefore i would say that you dont have to lose in the short term if
you buy well and look after it, but if you dont intend changing spend as much as you can, take your time looking, get loads of advice, even be a pain to get what you want, but expect to lose over a long time.

Most importanly use it, even if its only for days out as it is a big investmentto have sat around:thumb::thumb:.

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
the Hymer range hold their price well, especially the older models. Even more so if they are Merc based and have u shaped lounge.
German builders generally have a higher build quility and are winterised properly, built for a northern European winter rather than a southern european summer.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back