Can passengers move around when driving? (1 Viewer)

Kerry9

Free Member
Sep 16, 2018
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Motorhome owner
Exp
Rimor Sailer 645 2.7 TC fixed rear bed on Mercedes chassis and engine.
Our motorhome has a fixed rear bed so the dining area has two seat rows facing, with the table in between. Three of the seats have proper seat belts so we can legally travel with driver, navigator, and 3 passengers in the rear.

Can they or the navigator vacate their seats to use the loo, get something from the kitchen etc, whilst I'm driving and the motorhome is moving?

Or does the law states everyone must stay sat and seatbelted until the vehicle pulls over and stops?

(I think I could guess the answer but thought it best to check.)

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Sorry @thebriars but I will take issue with you on the first two scenarios in my post.
1. Long haul airlines have been using dual flight crews for many years they even have their own sleeping facilities to facilitate this, BA have done it for decades. This is a silly response. Crew rest areas are not used by crew during taxiing, take offs or landing. If there is an accident at any other time, then the chances of survival for anyone is very remote.

2. When we went on a long coach tour to the Belgiun beer fest,(never again)there were two drivers that changed over at a conveinient time, as the first would have been over his hours allowance, and this enabled us to get to the festival in one trip with no stop over other than the ferry of course. I guess the same would happen if it was a group of sports fans attending a venue in Europe. Either they stopped to change over or it was illegal. With the advent of tachographs drivers will have to stop to change over drivers.

Les

Either way, if people want to take the risk, its up to them (though hopefully any accident as a result does not put others in danger), personally I'd like to have many more years of drawing my pension.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
@thebriars ,"Silly Answer Really"sorry but you are wrong on pilot flight deck changeover crews, they dont obviously get in each others way during taxiing i didnt suggest that !.
Having had my family work for BA all their lives, and knowing a few pilots even today, I can assure you that it is the case that some long haul flights carry changeover flight deck crews, they have for many years since the Boing 747's and it will increase even more so now we have planes capable of doing non stop flights to Australia.
Check your facts on this you will see this is the case.

Again I didnt suggest that the coach drivers changed over whilst the vehicle was in motion. They obviously did it legally as I said changed over at a convienient place and time, by which I meant they pulled over for a comfort break.
But please check you facts on stand by/change over drivers and crews, you will see the light hopefully.:xThumb:
Les

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Either way, if people want to take the risk, its up to them (though hopefully any accident as a result does not put others in danger), personally I'd like to have many more years of drawing my pension.
I bet there are dozens of things more dangerous in your life than 20 seconds walking about in a camper.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 57092

Deleted User
When we used to crew on a racing yacht ,one day just before the race start the skipper went below to use the loo leaving me on the helm, as we repeatedly crash gybed the boat (when it goes from the wind being on one side of it to the other so heels over one way about 30 degrees then violently swings over to the other side) Other skippers were yelling out 'what are you doing ??!!, Anthea shouted back 'Dans on the loo' much laughter and cries of 'oh ok' 'that explains it' 'fair enough' etc
Kind of like waiting for your passneger to be on the loo then hurling the MH into a roundabout !

Upvote 0

fairford rambler

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Surrey
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
I keep telling my good lady to belt up, but she never takes any notice.

But when stuck in the M6 roadworks she always gets me a nice cuppa while we spend 30 minutes stopped and not moving. I was actually thinking about putting a sign on the van " teas and coffees available, just knock on the door, we also have also toilet facilities available for anyone taken short ". As Delboy would say " that's a nice little earner Rodney "

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
@thebriars ,"Silly Answer Really"sorry but you are wrong on pilot flight deck changeover crews, they dont obviously get in each others way during taxiing i didnt suggest that !.
Having had my family work for BA all their lives, and knowing a few pilots even today, I can assure you that it is the case that some long haul flights carry changeover flight deck crews, they have for many years since the Boing 747's and it will increase even more so now we have planes capable of doing non stop flights to Australia.
Check your facts on this you will see this is the case.

Again I didnt suggest that the coach drivers changed over whilst the vehicle was in motion. They obviously did it legally as I said changed over at a convienient place and time, by which I meant they pulled over for a comfort break.
But please check you facts on stand by/change over drivers and crews, you will see the light hopefully.:xThumb:
Les
Ah! I see your problem. An inability to read and understand what has been written!

Please look back at the post above and see what I actually wrote:

This is a silly response. Crew rest areas are not used by crew during taxiing, take offs or landing. If there is an accident at any other time, then the chances of survival for anyone is very remote.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I will say no more as you obviously missconstrue everything that I thought I had made plain. Check your facts you will see that many long haul flights carry two flight deck crews to enable flights over and above the allowable flying hours.
The outward bound captain & co pilot are at the controls, the relief crews are strapped into seats in their dedicated rest areas, where else do you suppose they could possibly be?

I have mainly for your benefits drawn these commercial pilot Flight duration rules from The 2011 FAA rules.
Quote:
If the first flight begins at any other time, the maximum flight time is eight hours. If there are three pilots on the flight, the limit can be extended to 13 hours, and fourpilots increase the limit to 17 hours.

Duty Limitations of an FAA Pilot | Chron.com

https://work.chron.com/duty-limitations-faa-pilot-17646.html
I rest my case, I have flown on many long haul flights across the world and have been introduced personally to the relief flight crews on board, as they joined me in the aircraft lounge after their shift...or are you saying that I imagined that, or that was not the case also?
There is also a formal handover/flight report given during the flight, giving the replacement pilot a full status update on how the aircraft is performing, any concerns on route planning, weather etc.
I think you are at risk of envoking the Fun Rule 1 also with the use of the phrases such as "this is a silly response" your words not mine. We do our utmost to remain friendly and respectful on Fun though it is very trying at times.
Les

Upvote 0

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
I will say no more as you obviously missconstrue everything that I thought I had made plain. Check your facts you will see that many long haul flights carry two flight deck crews to enable flights over and above the allowable flying hours.
The outward bound captain & co pilot are at the controls, the relief crews are strapped into seats in their dedicated rest areas, where else do you suppose they could possibly be?

I have mainly for your benefits drawn these commercial pilot Flight duration rules from The 2011 FAA rules.
Quote:
If the first flight begins at any other time, the maximum flight time is eight hours. If there are three pilots on the flight, the limit can be extended to 13 hours, and fourpilots increase the limit to 17 hours.

Duty Limitations of an FAA Pilot | Chron.com

https://work.chron.com/duty-limitations-faa-pilot-17646.html
I rest my case, I have flown on many long haul flights across the world and have been introduced personally to the relief flight crews on board, as they joined me in the aircraft lounge after their shift...or are you saying that I imagined that, or that was not the case also?
There is also a formal handover/flight report given during the flight, giving the replacement pilot a full status update on how the aircraft is performing, any concerns on route planning, weather etc.
I think you are at risk of envoking the Fun Rule 1 also with the use of the phrases such as "this is a silly response" your words not mine. We do our utmost to remain friendly and respectful on Fun though it is very trying at times.
Les

Good grief! I'm not in the slightest interested in the life of airline pilots, relief crews, etc. Sorry. As I said above, reading appears to be your problem.

Maybe go back my post #75 where I replied "no" to the question "Would you consider it feasable to do as aircraft pilots do & coach drivers, and switch drivers allowing the tired one to sleep in one of the beds in the back of the van?"

Merely stating I don't personally think it safe to sleep in the back of a motorhome whilst someone else is driving. End of.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back