Can I use NON data only sim cards for MH WiFi? (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
1. Hi, Im just about to order a Netgear Nighthawk M2 and looking at (truly!) unlimited sim card data plans (none of this unlimited with 2 or 10mbps max speed stuff).

It often seems the unlimited calls, text & data sim plans are cheaper than the data only sims?

Can I use a "phone" sim plan in the Netgear M2?

2. I'm also struggling to choose which provider to use. Im already on Three unlimited on my phone and want a different provider for the Netgear, (which counts out many of the cheap data deals from Smarty, iD mobile e.t.c as they piggyback Three's network). Id really like EE or Vodafone so i have redundancy if one network has no signal at any time, but plans from these two are really expensive.
I'm assuming I will just have to pay EE or Voda's price if I want truly unlimited speeds? Am I right in thinking other providers such as Asda e.t.c that share their networks will have capped download speeds? (EE & Vodafone are hardly likely to allow other providers to use their networks and offer cheaper prices with the same speeds are they?).
I guess a 10mbps cap should do for streaming (one device) if I must concede though.

Thoughts please?!

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Our Smarty sim in our MiFi is 30gb data plus free calls and texts……but we can’t phone or text from our MiFi.

It’s just a phone sim in a MiFi set up. (y)

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Technically there's no difference between a phone SIM and a data SIM. However, there used to be clauses in the contracts that limited the amount of tethering you could do (where you use the phone as a WiFi hotspot to give data to your laptop/tablet). And they counted putting the SIM in a dongle or 4G-WiFi router as 'tethering'. But I think those limitations have all disappeared now as they can't easily tell from the traffic whether it's a laptop using the data, or just a really surf-happy phone user.

Network diversity is probably a good idea.

As for the Nighthawk... looks very expensive! I doubt you'll actually get any faster speeds than a 400Mbps model unless you're parked next to a cell tower in the middle of the night... and I'm not even sure which of the UK providers support those CATs to give you those speeds.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Phil 748

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Newark Notts
Funster No
MH
AS Nuevo ES 06
Exp
Hi, we have 2 Huawei MIFI routers both have normal phone sims in, one is unlimited from 3, the other is with Virgin which we got free with our tv package that I use as back up if no service on 3. the only thing I had to set was the APN on the routers

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
... although I do see that the Nighhawk M2 it has external antenna ports. If you are planning to use them, that might be worthwhile. The cheaper Huawei with antenna ports isn't made anymore.

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
They are still available. I bought an unlocked Huawei mobile wifi 4g LTE 5577cs 321 with 2 antenna ports last month from Aliexpress. £42?-ish.

Upvote 0
OP
OP

Deleted User
... although I do see that the Nighhawk M2 it has external antenna ports. If you are planning to use them, that might be worthwhile. The cheaper Huawei with antenna ports isn't made anymore.
Hi, and yes. Thats my plan, will see how it goes without antennas to start with, then add them if needed.
I dont need anything like the 400bps, but more than 10bps would be preferable i think.

Our Smarty sim in our MiFi is 30gb data plus free calls and texts……but we can’t phone or text from our MiFi.

It’s just a phone sim in a MiFi set up. (y)
Smarty are on the same network I already have though unfortunately, Three. But from than I can probably assume I can use "phone" sims in the Netgear thanks.

Upvote 0
OP
OP

Deleted User
The Huawei also lacks proper router functionality I need and a LAN port for my NAS server.

Upvote 0

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Hi, and yes. Thats my plan, will see how it goes without antennas to start with, then add them if needed.
I dont need anything like the 400bps, but more than 10bps would be preferable i think.

Smarty are on the same network I already have though unfortunately, Three. But from than I can probably assume I can use "phone" sims in the Netgear thanks.
Smarty may be owned by Three, but it didn’t stop me playing one off against the other when our phone contracts were coming to an end. (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP

Deleted User
OK. Hardcore user... If you're going to end up with a bunch of non-portable stuff that needs mains power, why not just get a fixed/home router like a TP-Link Archer?
i have 2 Cisco POE 4 port routers which i may or may not use at some point (if i decide to install my CCTV on the NAS). At the moment i at least need to be able to connect the NAS to the network via the Netgear single LAN port.

Upvote 0
OP
OP

Deleted User
Deleted links all screw up #
Ill definitely take a closer look at this one thanks (although it looks like its mains power only, no battery back up or option to charge from 12v like the Netgear)

Upvote 0
OP
OP

Deleted User
Ive found some good sim deals if anyone else is interested.

Lebara (Vodafone) £25 unlimited (30 day, no contract! and EU roaming)

and Three are doing £16!! unlimited at the moment too. (my current contract with them doesnt end until the end of the year though, so no use to me)

Upvote 0

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
Ill definitely take a closer look at this one thanks (although it looks like its mains power only, no battery back up or option to charge from 12v like the Netgear)
You can run the B535 from 12v

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I use a Huawei B535and power it using one of these. Works a treat
<Broken link removed>

Upvote 0
OP
OP

Deleted User
Thanks all,
apparently theres a new version out now, with a small battery back up too
ZTE MF286D
its becoming a serious consideration now at £200 less than the netgear (need to make sure if i get one its not locked to Three's network and has a UK plug unlike some being sold on Amazon!)

Upvote 0
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
I currently have a lebara sim unlimited was on offer for £15 (Should be £25 plan)for first 3 months.
I have a discount code you are welcome to try.

The code should be for up to half price I believe by those offers change next week.

When I changed my phone contracts I set up an EE sim on contract for the van. As it was a large data sim (not unlimited though) the download speed is higher.

So at the moment I am switching between EE and Lebara (vodafone).

EE has more speed when it works but I have found 2 black spots on this holiday (Devon and now Wales) where the lebara has been be much better.

Upvote 0
OP
OP

Deleted User
I currently have a lebara sim unlimited was on offer for £15 (Should be £25 plan)for first 3 months.
I have a discount code you are welcome to try.

The code should be for up to half price I believe by those offers change next week.

When I changed my phone contracts I set up an EE sim on contract for the van. As it was a large data sim (not unlimited though) the download speed is higher.

So at the moment I am switching between EE and Lebara (vodafone).

EE has more speed when it works but I have found 2 black spots on this holiday (Devon and now Wales) where the lebara has been be much better.
thank you! I'll give your code a go.

In 'other' news.. collected the van yesterday... and having asked the dealer if it had a router and wifi and being told no, i opened one of the cupboards to see its already fitted! Hopefully need a sim now.

Upvote 1
Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
OK, so some of this mi fi talk is rocket science to me. Next time we tour Europe? I just want to buy a SIM only card and put into an Huawei 5577 dongle, no extra aerial, and see how I get on.
Is this likely to work ? Or is it better to just tether a phone ?
Phil

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
OK, so some of this mi fi talk is rocket science to me. Next time we tour Europe? I just want to buy a SIM only card and put into an Huawei 5577 dongle, no extra aerial, and see how I get on.
There are regulation to limit the power output of a phone or a phone mast, so they are all pretty much the same output power. So if you want to pick up a signal when conditions are iffy, a bigger, better aerial will help. Most phones and dongles have a small internal aerial, and no provision to connect a better one.

How that affect you depends entirely on your lifestyle and where you normally park up. If you like to park on a seafront in a town, then a phone will be fine. If you go up in the hills, away from civilisation, you may struggle to get a signal with just a phone. Most mifi units can have external aerials attached, which will give you more chance of picking up a signal.

You can get aerials that range from small ones that stick on the window to big Ghost-buster style monsters on the roof.

Upvote 0

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Broken Link Removed

<Broken link removed>

SCANCOMROCKS for 10% discount

Reactions: BDM
Upvote 0

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Phil
Ooft now there's a question.
It depends on how essential having the internet is.
So if you run a business from the valley of a secluded mountain range which requires 24hr connection then your requirements are going to be different to someone who would like the internet every day but if they miss out for a night then it will not matter as they are moving on the next day (100% connectivity guaranteed - 80% availability (4 days out of 5)). Conversely one might need to receive and send one email a day (the day's work) and the other might want heavy TV usage (10Mb or 5Gb per day). A MiFi is another thing to buy, another contract and another charging point while the reception from a phone will tend to be worse and not as handy if you are more than a couple. You need to look at where you sit on those spectrums and your existing Sim plan.
Sim overseas allowances also vary as Vodafone for example (at one time) allowed you to use more data abroad on a limited Sim than an unlimited plan.

Upvote 0
OP
OP

Deleted User
ordered using your link thanks! (3mths half price)
thank you! I'll give your code a go.

In 'other' news.. collected the van yesterday... and having asked the dealer if it had a router and wifi and being told no, i opened one of the cupboards to see its already fitted! Hopefully need a sim now.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back