Can I use a redundant iPhone in the MH as a 'tracker'??? (1 Viewer)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Santa was kind this year and I got a new iPhone!

I now have a redundant iPhone 5c which is surplus to requirements. Can't sell it, because it has a fault with the home button (which the Apple 'Genius' people can't repair). The phone is fully operational though, using the 'accessibility' function instead of the home button.

Soooo, rather than it gathering dust, or to use as a spare phone, was wondering about secreting it somewhere in the van and using the 'Find Friends' App as a tracking device?

At the mo' the phone is sans a SIM card, because I've popped the 3 Mobile sim into the new phone. If I bought a cheapo PAYG sim for the old phone and kept the battery charged, would it work as a kinda tracker?

The Find Friends App works brilliantly for tracking (like seeing where the missus is and how long it will be before she can get home and put my tea on :xwink:).

Anyone use phones for trackers? Any other funster dodges or advice?

Sep 22, 2013
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Relay self-build
Exp
Trainee MH owner
I used an old Android phone that way and did not even need to insert a SIM card. Just connected via wifi when I got home to upload the recorded track.

Suspect it may not be so easy with an iPhone?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Sounds like a plan. Keeping battery topped up maybe the risky part as I am scared of leaving these lithium batteries on charge unattended in case of fire.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
wingman

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks @Borderland
Gives me another option. I'll have a look at Amazon. Got some Amazon vouchers for Kimble, so wouldn't cost me anything!!

BTW @Riverbankannie Thanks. I didn't plan to have the thing on permanent, hard-wired charge; I would charge the phone periodically and keep an eye on it.

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
I think, but may be wrong, that those trackers neeed a phone connection too.

Yes you can use an iphone for that. my old 4s charges when the ignition is on and provides a wifi hotspot and tracker

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back