Can i tow a caravan behind my motorhome? (1 Viewer)

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
::bigsmile: Certainly. Why not? You cannot have too much accommodation. :roflmto:

NewmarTrain.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lexy Traveller

Lexy Traveller

Free Member
Jul 11, 2008
Funster No
Exp
just started
:ROFLMAO:

the caravan is for my mother's use :) :ROFLMAO:

I just can't find much information on the subject. the NTTA say about the length of a 3.5 tonne mtorhome and whatever it tows not exceeding 7 mtrs, but our motorhome is 7.5 tonne and it didnt make much sense to me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Not such a simple answer as yes or no BUT in general -

If the combined weight of the loaded caravan and motorhome falls within the Gross train weight (GTW) stamped on your motorhome weight plate - yes!

If the combined weight of your rig weighs more than the GTW stamped on your motorhome - then No. (The Brakes are only designed to cope with the Gross Train Weight - anything heavier and your brakes will not be strong enough to stop you)

If the weight of the caravan exceeds 750 Kg and you have an E licence, for example, (C + E or a C1 + E or a B + E providing your outfit does not exceed 8Âľ ton in the case of a B+E - then Yes.

If the weight of your caravan exceeds 750Kg and you do not have an E Licence - then NO.

Upvote 0
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
If you cross the Severn Bridge in a westerly direction, the licence requirements change. They're explained here.

Upvote 0

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
When we were in Spain in May, we talked to a British couple who towed a caravan behind their Autocruise Stargazer! We asked them why and they said a friend was joining them for a couple of weeks and the Stargazer was only a 2 berth!!

Ginny

Upvote 0

Beachbum

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Hamburg / Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
40 Years
Day before yesterday I was in the Calais parking area waiting to board our ship to Dover. In comes a massive American RV the size of a luxury coach. He had on tow a 27 to 35 ft caravan.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lexy Traveller

Lexy Traveller

Free Member
Jul 11, 2008
Funster No
Exp
just started
so as long as we have the proper licence and the caravan weighs less than 75% of the motorhome then we're allowed?

Upvote 0

takeaflight

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Stratford-upon-Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I take it your m/h is a Burstner 747, if so then the max weight you can tow is
1000kg unless you leave off payload. I am not quite sure but I think most caravans of any size are over 1000kg.

Best of luck

Upvote 0

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
Seems you can tow anything you like if you're in Canada. We've seen many combinations there. :Eeek:

Attachments

• 12345.jpg
    12345.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 84
Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
You must also ask yourself is the motorhome capable of having a towbar fitted.

believe it or not there was one motorhome at the earlier NEC show that had no chassis behind the rear wheels. The whole structure was supported by the sandwich floor. Others have a rear overhang longer than the chassis extensions so fitting a towbar would be very difficult.

Best to research it very carefully.

1. Can I drive it
2. Can I have a towbar fitted
3. Will the outfit exceed the Gross Train Weight for the MH
4. Where will I be able to go with such a huge outfit
5. Will I have to pay for two pitches whilst on site
6. What will the performance of the outfit be like, can I go up any serious hills
7. Can I afford the fuel at such a low mpg.
8. Parking off site will be almost impossible, even in supermarket car parks.

Sorry to be pessimistic but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Upvote 0

Tony Hunt

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Wimborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp
:ROFLMAO:

the caravan is for my mother's use :) :ROFLMAO:

I just can't find much information on the subject. the NTTA say about the length of a 3.5 tonne mtorhome and whatever it tows not exceeding 7 mtrs, but our motorhome is 7.5 tonne and it didnt make much sense to me.

If your motorhome is indeed 7.5 tonnes then you can only go to a maximum 8.25 tonnes if you have a pre 1997 car licence like most of us. An earlier post mentioned 8 3/4 tonnes which was wrong. This is why many people who own 7.5 tonne American RVs and driving on a car licence are breaking the law towing a car behind unless of course that car goes under 750kg which not many do.

Upvote 0

slickmouse

Free Member
Dec 30, 2007
Planet Mars next 2 Uranus
Funster No
MH
Winne/DAF Coach
I would say yes as long as you have fitted a tow-bar and not a length of rope on the bumper, I can recomend some nice roads in Switzerland if you want to lose the caravan, Ahem

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lexy Traveller

Lexy Traveller

Free Member
Jul 11, 2008
Funster No
Exp
just started
hi there
just thought you all might like to know that we did manage to tow the caravan ::bigsmile: no problems at all all good fun and lots of funny looks :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back