Can I obtain an MOT where my van is parked up in The Algarve (1 Viewer)

Jun 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix
Exp
Since 2016
My wife and I had to leave our Motorhome parked up on a secure site near Lagos and fly home from Faro on the 24th March due the the site we were camped on closing up under Portuguese Gov directives.
The van MOT runs out on Dec 18th. I have spoken to UK DVLC and they have said I could obtain an MOT in Portugal but then another different MOT in Spain or France so the the van insurance is still valid. Has anyone had this same s experience under the current COVID situation ? I am reluctant to fly out say in Oct to drive the van back home and the drive back to Portugal again in Dec.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:
No and it must have an MOT to drive it in Portugal. Unfortunately if your MOT had run out in March you would have got a 6 month extension. It might be worth asking DVLA for an extension at least then you could get back legally.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
:welco:
No and it must have an MOT to drive it in Portugal. Unfortunately if your MOT had run out in March you would have got a 6 month extension. It might be worth asking DVLA for an extension at least then you could get back legally.

Their vehicle is still legal until December. They won't get an extension?!

They will need to take it back for its MOT and then have their 90 days in Schengen 🙄

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
British registered vehicles in Spain and Portugal are only legal for 6 continuous months, in any case, but must have a current insurance. I’ve not heard of the Police ever checking MOT on relatively new foreign vehicle, but they can, and will confiscate a vehicle they suspect being in country for 6 months plus or without insurance.

It’s not a guarantee, but there are people I know who have taken their Brit vehicle to Gibraltar, as it’s then out of the country (Spain that is) and had an MOT done there, it’s not a UK relevant MOT but has worked to satisfy authorities in several cases. You might also insure your van through a Spanish or Gibraltar company such as Abbeygate, or preferably Ibex.

As I said, not really a cast iron solution but could give you some breathing space to get back there, and at some point get your van home.

Having said all of that I’ve never been stopped in my Brit car or Motorhome in 12 years anywhere n Europe.

HTH

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
It is a right pain but to be legal, you will need to bring the van back to the uk. Even if you MOT in Dover and and tax it then back on the next train or ferry

A few years back there were a couple of british run garages on the costas that were sister garages of MOT stations at home. They tried to circumvent the rules by inspecting the van in the costas and then send the details to the uk garage who sent the MOT out by post. Looked like a great idea but the authorities didn't like it, so it ended as quick as it started

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
It might be a daft idea but I was wondering whether it might be less expensive to register the vehicle in Portugal rather than do a round trip back to UK just for an MOT. Re-registering when it is eventually brought back to UK is relatively inexpensive.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Their vehicle is still legal until December. They won't get an extension?!

They will need to take it back for its MOT and then have their 90 days in Schengen 🙄
I read it wrong thought it ran out last Decemmber

OP
OP
Dusty Pidgeon
Jun 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks for all the MOT advice. Seems like we will have to fly out at sometime in the near future and bring the MH back to Blighty for its MOT. Such a shame as we shall be returning once again in Dec.

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
The Gentleman in Spain carrying out UK MOTs were discovered and delt with!!
Sounds as if the following link could be useful!!!

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
You need a Portuguese residence to have your UK reg vehicle MOT (IPO) We have done IPO for the past 12 years.
Does that serve any legal purpose? I thought that to be a legal, a vehicle currently registered in country X had to have a current equivalent of the MOT from country X, as jumartoo said above?

Having been resident in Portugal for 12 years, is it legal to be driving a UK registered vehicle in Portugal?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Don't these countries have computerised records.
To have an MOT the vehicle registration details have to tally with the recorded details and the MOT will be entered on those details via the test stations computer.... As are all details of the test. .
How can a UK registered vehicle have its registration details on a foreign database....if it can't be found it can't be tested.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
You need a Portuguese residence to have your UK reg vehicle MOT (IPO) We have done IPO for the past 12 years.
You can get a spanish ITV on any foreign vehicle on a daily basis if you want. Not worth the paper it is printed on. has to be legal in country of registration.
Having been resident in Portugal for 12 years, is it legal to be driving a UK registered vehicle in Portugal?
benefit of the doubt I took it to mean "residence" as in a property . If not then yes you are right.:(

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Don't these countries have computerised records.
To have an MOT the vehicle registration details have to tally with the recorded details and the MOT will be entered on those details via the test stations computer.... As are all details of the test. .
How can a UK registered vehicle have its registration details on a foreign database....if it can't be found it can't be tested.

They go round checking all vehicles here, they know what to look for, but like to catch you in it, just seeing it's not taxed mot or uninsured is not enough. 🙂

They also know more about websites like park 4 night than we do. 😁 Bob.

Reactions: JJ

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
They go round checking all vehicles here, they know what to look for, but like to catch you in it.
Lost me completely there!!!
I'm not referring to driving it without an MOT, just saying if it's not on the foreign MOT database it can't legally be tested.
Yes, they can test it but not worth the paper it's on.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
My wife and I had to leave our Motorhome parked up on a secure site near Lagos and fly home from Faro on the 24th March due the the site we were camped on closing up under Portuguese Gov directives.
The van MOT runs out on Dec 18th. I have spoken to UK DVLC and they have said I could obtain an MOT in Portugal but then another different MOT in Spain or France so the the van insurance is still valid. Has anyone had this same s experience under the current COVID situation ? I am reluctant to fly out say in Oct to drive the van back home and the drive back to Portugal again in Dec.
We had our van transported back from Alicante, after it was 'trapped' in March. Obviously cost a few Bob, but avoids the need to fly. And not outrageously expensive.

Let me know if you want more info.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Lost me completely there!!!
I'm not referring to driving it without an MOT, just saying if it's not on the foreign MOT database it can't legally be tested.
Yes, they can test it but not worth the paper it's on.

I see what you mean John, and a UK vehicle would fail on lights for a start, and be a totally worthless piece of paper.🙄
The culprits here bring a vehicle over, don't change owner details and think they have disappeared of the radar, that's why they need to catch them driving it. 😁
It's far more difficult buying and selling cars in Spain, because any debts are down to you, and it has to be insured. 🙂 Bob.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It's far more difficult buying and selling cars in Spain, because any debts are down to you, and it has to be insured. 🙂 Bob.
I sometimes watch the TV property progs where people are looking to buy places in Spain and sometimes a car is included ... it always makes me wonder what the seller is 'hiding'! :LOL:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I sometimes watch the TV property progs where people are looking to buy places in Spain and sometimes a car is included ... it always makes me wonder what the seller is 'hiding'! :LOL:

Yes it's not uncommon, as long as the paperwork is in order and the transfer is done properly no problem, here it's the vehicle that's insurance covers anyone most policies it's over 25, if you want to change insurance company, you have to give one months notice and move to another but it has to be insured, and road tax is paid by the person that's name is on the log book on the first January and is paid for the year, even though you might not pay it until June. 😁
We let friends use our car when we are not here, we agreed any fines in that period they would pay. 🤔 Bob.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back