Can I make the MH water more palatable? (1 Viewer)

Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
I know there are a few funsters on here that drink water straight from their van taps.
We tried not to be precious about it last week but the taste (when used for teeth cleaning, disguised as tea, squash etc) was awful with a capital A.
We had a 9 page packing list, but stupidly forgot a good sized water container. Managed with 1, then 2 milk containers but it got very boring to keep filling these. Who knew how much each saucepan swallows to boil stuff. :rolleyes:
Is it a case of flushing the tank/pipes several times to see an improvement?

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We never really noticed any problems with our new vans fresh tank. Then again, our van had been in stock for a year.
Yours is still leaking out its solvents from manufacture.
Flushing several times should help.

We always drink from our tank and have never had bad tastes or health problems.

The only time a dodgy taste has arisen is when we are skiing. The water in the cold pipes can sometimes get heated by the adjacent heater ducting. Simply running a bit through first alleviates this.

Upvote 0

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Whilst I do clean my teeth with van tank water, we don't drink from the main tank. We use a 10 litre jerry can to collect fresh water for drinking. I think you can get military grade water filters installed which may help if the flushing out does not.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Whilst I do clean my teeth with van tank water, we don't drink from the main tank. We use a 10 litre jerry can to collect fresh water for drinking. I think you can get military grade water filters installed which may help if the flushing out does not.
No chance of drinking stagnant water either. We don't turn/use the tank contents quickly enough.
A separate 10lt water carrier is perfect as we know it's always fresh.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Tea and coffee is made with water from the tank. We have a bottle of spring water for drinking. It's all good.

Milton - we use this once a year and refill, flush and drain afterwards.

I'm pretty sure someone will recommend the £200+ water filter which means they fill up with pond water etc etc...:whistle:

Upvote 0

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We have always drank from the tank 8 years or more now never been ill.
Don't waste money on food quality hose either been using green garden hose for 8 years as well did buy a roll flat once lasted a month :eek:.
Do have a 5 litre water container for tea n coffee which we use to save using on board water no other reason but half the time we forget to fill it so end up using the on board supply anyway.
Try flushing the tank a few times with some Milton Tablets that's what we did when we had a new van a few years ago.

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We buy 5l mineral water from supermarkets and fill the bottles up when empty. How old is your water tank?

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We drink straight from the tap. Always tastes nice. We don't even care if some filthy moron washed his Elsan at the tap we filled up from. Because, for the last 15 years we've not had a van without fitting a filter from General Ecology. Bugs of every description are filtered out and it turns water sourced from anywhere into pure water from your tap. And, no dragging those large bottles of water from French and Spanish supermarkets. They are expensive, in practice filters last us 2 years but the convenience and piece of mind is well worth it, and you can easily swop them when you swap your van, the one in our New RV has been in three vans prior to this.

Upvote 0

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Only being doing this for a few weeks but we intend to use the tank water for everything other than drinking including tea/coffee making. We have been using bottled water and it works for us.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jeannette van den Oever
Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
We buy 5l mineral water from supermarkets and fill the bottles up when empty. How old is your water tank?
The van's only 2 weeks old, Matty.
We drink straight from the tap. Always tastes nice. We don't even care if some filthy moron washed his Elsan at the tap we filled up from. Because, for the last 15 years we've not had a van without fitting a filter from General Ecology. Bugs of every description are filtered out and it turns water sourced from anywhere into pure water from your tap. And, no dragging those large bottles of water from French and Spanish supermarkets. They are expensive, in practice filters last us 2 years but the convenience and piece of mind is well worth it, and you can easily swop them when you swap your van, the one in our New RV has been in three vans prior to this.
I see the company will be at Peterborough, Jim. Do you do the fitting yourself? Hopefully it's fairly straightforward.

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
As Jim says, nature pure for me every time. I have fitted them to the last 4 vans I have owned. They are not cheap, but neither is an osteopath to sort your back out after humping 5 litre bottles of water around. We must drink 15 litres of water per day in tea and coffee. Where on earth would I store all those bottles of water. The lady of the house who bought my last RMB asked about the tank water quality and I replied taste it. Her reply was why have we not had one of these before.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
When we purchased our previously owned van, the fitter doing the hab certification left a tap like object on the worktop. I ask what it was and he said he had found it in the drawer under the sink. We found there was a very large filter under there also. Following the pipework back one of the 2 previous owners had had installed filtered water, tapped into the line with a separate isolator valve. and a very small hole drilled by the sink.
I later connected it all up together and found black bits in the water. I realised the filter had broken down inside and found a date of 2006 on it. I found a supplier in the West Midlands who would supply filters which were "safe" for a year and significantly smaller. He even sent me the push fit connectors and a clip so I could remount if. This I did and now drink the water. The tap fitting is not in the way and works for us. The pipework is all hidden and the filter does not impede with storage etc.

I'm pretty sure someone will recommend the £200+ water filter

Our filter cost £15.00. So impressed was I, I ordered another as a spare for next year.
Robert

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Always use the water from the tank for drinking have done so on Caravans & Motorhomes for over 20 years. The nasty taste is often caused by minerals in the water reacting with the plastic pipes & tanks, sometimes you get the taste other time it's fine depending where you fill up. The last few years years have been using a cheap jug water filter for drinking water & now just about to fit an inline filter in the van, as I don't intend drinking water form the cassette it won't be the expensive Nature Pure although they are good can't justify the cost for our use.

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I love these water threads! So much paranoia about water quality!

I reckon if you want to know what bad water tastes like, ask an African child!

We aquatab our system once a year and let Anglian Water's additives do the rest.

If the supply abroad is doubtful, we aquatab each tankful.

We haven't died yet!

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I'm pretty sure someone will recommend the £200+ water filter which means they fill up with pond water etc etc...:whistle:

Yep ... as Jim has said, we also have a Nature Pure filter fitted for drinking water and never have any foul tastes or worries about the condition of water in the tank ... I'm more than happy to recommend .(y)

I fitted it myself so must be easy to do!

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
At the start of our trip we usually buy two of those 10ltr bottle's and then use them for our drinking water filing up at where ever we can usually when we fill with diesel
works for us
and they are when full lightenugh for the weeman to carry so on of his job's is water boy
bill

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We always use the onboard tank water, do empty after every trip so do not leave the water in the tank if not used, do sterilise twice a year, do use food grade hose. Never had any issues, do not want the hassle of bottled water.

Like the idea of filtering, we have it at home, so will no doubt spend far too long reading up on Nature Pure, thanks!

Upvote 0
Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
We keep a brita filter jug on the work surface, taste is as good as it gets and use it for all drinking etc, its a very easy option

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We drink the water from the tank but put a bottle either filled from the tank or a tap in the fridge as if its hot the tank water becomes quite tepid. If it isn't hot we go somewhere it is.
Nature pure is great but very expensive. You can get a 5 stage reverse osmosis unit for less and drink seawater.

Upvote 0

JimboT

Free Member
Nov 6, 2013
Welwyn Garden City
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
we also filter all out water before drinking brita filter.
Word of warning I put some cleaning powder in our tank and never read the instructions should have mixed with boiling water first had to fit new pump!
Jim

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back