Can I leave the gas on...... (1 Viewer)

Sep 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Retals
Exp
Auto-trail Tribute F62
Hi, not had a MH long, a few weekends away but we‘ve always had EHU to power the THETFORD fridge freezer when we were away from the van. The THETFORD will run on 230v, gas or the vehicle battery when the engine is on. But do people leave the gas supply on when, say you visit a town and away from the van for 6 hours +.
Is that common practice and more importantly is it safe for an unattended vehicle
Any advice will be helpful, thanks

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Hi, not had a MH long, a few weekends away but we‘ve always had EHU to power the THETFORD fridge freezer when we were away from the van. The THETFORD will run on 230v, gas or the vehicle battery when the engine is on. But do people leave the gas supply on when, say you visit a town and away from the van for 6 hours +.
Is that common practice and more importantly is it safe for an unattended vehicle
I only turn the gas off for the short trip through the channel tunnel. The rest of the time I leave it on.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We leave it on all the time. After all, do you switch the gas off at home when you leave the house?

The only point to make is that, if you want to leave the gas on while driving it is best to have a secumotion gas regulator, which switches off the gas in the case of an accident and anti-rupture valves on the gas bottles to switch off the gas in the case of a pigtail (the hose between the gas bottle and the gas regulator) rupturing.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
we have gas, even if travelling sometimes, depends on what ive eaten or drank the night before ......

but in answer to the question, consider this, would you turn the gas off when you went to bed? that is no different than leaving the fridge running on gas 'unattended' and i hope i dont sound harsh, but the joke you made re an explosion is sometimes a negative perception used by 'anti- motorhomers', so perhaps not a good idea to repeat it elsewhere ,... but i do understand it was only in jest (y)(y)(y)(y)

enjoy your new motorhome. its almost one week now until we get our latest baby LOL

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
When parked up if you require to use your gas put it on and leave it on if you want most people do, but when on the road travelling gas off at the valve on the bottle, I would say regardless of what safety crash sensing device’s.😃
That could be a problem with underslung tanks. I’m not crawling underneath each time just because you think it’s safer. The LPG systems fitted to motorhomes are designed and fitted by people with far more qualifications and expertise than me or you. I’ll stick by their advice thanks.

Griff097

LIFE MEMBER
May 19, 2021
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Always leave the gas on from when we park up till when we leave as usually on CL's etc

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I would leave it on, when parked for shopping, but make sure fridge won't ignite on gas when going into a filling station ⛽💣
As far as I can tell my fridge won't fire up on gas after switching from 12v for approx 15mins, which I believe is a safety feature to avoid just that scenario.
But may not be the same for every installation.

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
As far as I can tell my fridge won't fire up on gas after switching from 12v for approx 15mins, which I believe is a safety feature to avoid just that scenario.
But may not be the same for every installation.
Have you checked that? or read that?
Asking as I thought the same for my Thetford 3-Way with AES and then decided to check .... no delay AT ALL after 12V supply goes.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Asking as I thought the same for my Thetford 3-Way with AES and then decided to check .... no delay AT ALL after 12V supply goes.
That sound dangerous I thought all AES fridges had it, a basic safety feature I would have thought.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I’ve checked my fridge and it’s a bit longer that 15 mins probably 20 mins at least. I can override it though by manually selecting gas. Just so the beer, wine don’t get warm on arrival at our overnight.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
As others have mentioned, the safety feature of not switching over to gas from 12V whilst driving until a designated time has elapsed i.e 15/20 minutes in to allow for safe refuelling at fuel stations. I would advise that you get your system checked over as if your fridge switches immediately over to gas when you stop for fuel, then thats a massive risk.
I hate to think what might happen if fuel vapours get inside the bottom external fridge vent. We all saw the results of this happening last year in a fuel station down south in Sussex/Surrey, the van and half the fuel station was destroyed with the explosion and subsequent fierce fire that was caused.
Hoovie Try your Fridge set up at home or after switching the engine off with fridge set to A "Automatic it should never switch immediately over to gas, until after the safe period of at least 12/15 minutes.
I have got into the habit of turning off the gas valves to both refillable gas cylinders, before entering a filling station, mainly because my LPG filler point is nearly under the lower external fridge vent so wouldn't want it firing onto gas before finishing at pumps.
I do check if the "Delay timer Valve" works as normal when I pull over for a cup of coffee stop en route to somewhere, I am pleased to report it does not switch over for at least 15 minutes.
I think if my worn out memory serves me correctly the delay for most AES fridges is 12 minutes minimum, but I could be as the Mrs says talking rubbish.
LES

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
I have checked the (Thetford) manual and found the process and I think reading on, I may have made a wrong assumption based on the display indicators?

This is what it says for Auto Mode (with my own highlighting)....
"If the refrigerator switches from 12V DC to gas operation when it is in auto mod, the system will wait for about 15 minutes before igniting the gas. During this time, however, the gas indicator lamp will come on. The delay is built in to avoid it switching to gas immediately whenever you stop to refuel your vehicle".
When I did my check, I based it on the energy source indications and watched it go from battery to flame. I didn't listen for any clicking.

..... I do check if the "Delay timer Valve" works as normal when I pull over for a cup of coffee stop en route to somewhere, I am pleased to report it does not switch over for at least 15 minutes...
How are you doing your checking? checking no clicking? or maybe your display doesn't switch over to gas source immediately like mine does?

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
How are you doing your checking? checking no clicking? or maybe your display doesn't switch over to gas source immediately like mine does
On Dometic fridges the the display only changes when it is working on that source also you can hear the fridge burner light and the flame roaring.

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
On Dometic fridges the the display only changes when it is working on that source also you can hear the fridge burner light and the flame roaring.
The Thetfords operate in a different (less logical) way then :) (then again, it HAS switched to that source, it just delayed starting up)

Does TinaL have a Dometic Fridge? (I have no idea).

Jul 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Thanks for all your replies and comments. I’ll try it today but if you hear of an explosion in a Hereford car park, you know I’ve had a problem 😂
It would be more of a problem if you are in it at the time

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back