Can I get Live TV Free on Firestick? (1 Viewer)

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We currently just use Firestick to watch Netflix but I’d like to be able to watch the other Freeview channels.
It’s not actually for thé MH - it’s for our house up north which is in a black spot so we can’t get Freeview from an aerial. We could install Freesat which is what most folks do but I was looking for an option that didn’t require hard wiring in.
i have seen paid for apps that give channels I don’t really want - I really just want the basic free stuff.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
As long as you have WiFi you should get all the normal tv channels like BBC and ITV, you can either watch live or on catch-up.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I think there is an official add-on for all UK channels (UKTV player maybe?) but I just use iplayer, STV player etc.

Once when the STV player was being difficult during a Euro 2020 match I loaded up the not so legal add-on that I have and that has all channels so I just used that.

John H.

Free Member
Apr 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
A long time
Bite the bullet and install a Freesat dish (preferably with a quad LNB).

You can then watch and record HD programs. (two at a time with a seven day program quide).

We have two full HD recorders. They are magic.(and they work with wi-fi for iPlayer and ITV Hub)).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Yes you can but you will need to fanny about setting it up with some of the channels such as the bbc agreeing that you pay a license etc.

BBC iplayer
ITV hub
More 4
My5

Gets you the 5 basic channels

John H.

Free Member
Apr 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
A long time
Everything is in one box (including Netflix)

Simples (no fan**ing about)

And you can take it away in the MH to use with a portable/roof dish and/or wi-fi)

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
I believe there is something called IPTV that you can add to your firestick.😉 You just need to find a local supplier. Every channel available including all sky channels for 50 quid a year.

bridgedino

Free Member
Sep 13, 2020
Fife
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Itv can be watched live on the firestick. Not sure about the other channels though

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp

You can then watch and record HD programs. (two at a time with a seven day program quide).

We have two full HD recorders. They are magic.(and they work with wi-fi for iPlayer and ITV Hub)).
Depends if you can be bothered to set it to record stuff if you remember to watch it and spend enough time watching TV to get through it. We couldn't be bothered with any of those so ditched the recorder as we hadn't used it for a few years so if it's a second home I'd stick with just the firestick. Of course habits vary so others might do differently.

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
One of the best paid apps I have is the Europort pass which I got for £39. I watch a lot of live cycling in summer and skiing in winter so it's great for the price for 12 months of the sport I watch. I won't pay a penny for English football I have zero interest in.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

I have trouble finding a program worth watching (other than the football) never mind recording some.What rubbish they are transmitting at the moment.BUSBY.

Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
Yes you can and it doesn’t take long to set up, just download the main channel apps, straightforward.

Deleted User
Don't need a firestick with a smart TV, preferably running Android

Deleted User
You can’t always watch live tv on a smart tv, if using apps.

Only one that I can't watch live is ITV and to be honest that is no loss to me.

I think that smart TV's that work on Android will stream live, on the very rare occasions that I want to watch live ITV I stream to my Android tablet and connect with an HDMI lead to the TV.

If I had an Android smart TV I could cast via chromecast direct from my android smartphone.

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Using official apps on any device (without a VPN) will likely lead to issues as most of the providers geofence their apps so you cannot watch them out of region. Eg when abroad

Deleted User
Using official apps on any device (without a VPN) will likely lead to issues as most of the providers geofence their apps so you cannot watch them out of region. Eg when abroad

No problem if using a UK sim provider when roaming.

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
I think there is an official add-on for all UK channels (UKTV player maybe?) but I just use iplayer, STV player etc.

Once when the STV player was being difficult during a Euro 2020 match I loaded up the not so legal add-on that I have and that has all channels so I just used that.
Grianan as stated here by monzer try the UKTV Player app, which links to the usual UK channels... no need to go down the sat dish route :devil:

Deleted User
Which is going to be very expensive now that roaming charges have been reintroduced….😢

Not necessarily, I still have one provider giving unlimited for £20/month on a rolling monthly basis with no roaming limits, it remains to be seen how long this will last.

I can also get unlimited data here in Portugal for €1 a day renewable every 15 days and a reliable cheap VPN.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back