Can I fit larger wheels to my van? (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Can I fit larger wheels to my Hymer T588 CL.?

At present I have Michelin 215/70R

The reason I would like alloys but the wheels look so small and lost I think a larger one would look much better.

What do you think, can I get a way with bigger ones.

Colyboy

Nov 6, 2017
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend t7051
I believe the speedo problem can be reset by a Fiat profession dealer within the parameters of the Fiat diagnostic tool.

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
It's possible but would upset your Speedo readings

Does that still apply? I thought with all the digital speedos these days it measures differently? I am probably totally wrong of course!

I would love to do the same my wheels look pathetic! (bigger tyres im my case more like balloon tyres)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
colyboy
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Bognor Saint yes it’s still on going!!!

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Don't really care what ours look like, although the trims look quite smart.

If they work OK I would leave well alone. IMO ?

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
If you have 215/70/R15's then you can upgrade to 225/75/R16's as this is what the factory alloy wheel 'option' is for the Ducato light chassis and fill the arches the same as on the 'maxi'.

Your speedo will massively under-read on the 15" wheels, but marginally under-read on the 16" - or at least mine did. If going for non-genuine wheels, look at the Super Metal Hammer - a nice non-fussy commercial load rated alloy with type approvals in black, silver or polished and grey.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
It largely depends upon which chassis base, Engine transmission combination you have?.

However to take the "typical" Fiat / Alko combination. They do specify both 15" and 16" wheels. The final ratio is also a factor as the overall gearing will become higher, This could necessitate changing down earlier on inclines, and against (say) a headwind for example, but may? benefit fuel consumption on the "cruise". Something to bear in mind is that there is an issue with some Fiat models with the "reverse judder", which is alleged to have a conection to the fact that the reverse gearing is already too high. If it was a car the gearing ratio could be mitigated by putting the "new" wheels on lower profile tyres, but unlikely to be an option with M-H tyres. I think that the Speedometer error can be compensated for by changes within the ECU?. But would have to be done by a service centre.

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Can I fit larger wheels to my Hymer T588 CL.?

At present I have Michelin 215/70R

The reason I would like alloys but the wheels look so small and lost I think a larger one would look much better.

What do you think, can I get a way with bigger ones.

Colyboy
It may also effect your gear ratio's which could mean changing down a gear sooner with a heavy load. but maybe faster with a light load!
Don't know the maths of that.

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Still works on a mechanically driven gearbox sensor providing a digital signal.
Most Can based vehicles like the later Fiats use the Abs sensors to provide the speed signal, it gives a built in reduncency if one fails it swaps to another one.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Don't forget you'll need a compressor in 5 years when they need pumping up every month. I will never have another alloy wheel as long as I live ?

(I know steel is an alloy, but that's great ?)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Wider wheels still have to keep the centre of the tyre tread over the wheel bearings. What this means is that, for example, a 2" wider wheel will only move the visible side of the wheel 1" towards the outside of the arch. So not much effect.
A larger diameter wheel, say 16", will in theory cause your speedo to read low. However in reality your speedo reads high now (usually around 5mph high at 70mph) so an increase in wheel size will simply make your speedo more accurate.
I'd agree with Richard and Ann that alloy wheels are best avoided - too much maintenance needed and eventually they will corrode and leak.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back