Can I dump sat dish and watch tv via internet. (1 Viewer)

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Another issue to consider.....currently we need shade...it's 25°c outside...so my Oyster isn't going to function...but IPTV works well....
so choosing a place to pitch is made easier....

Deleted User
I wonder if data consumption (referred on the firestick as the quality of the picture) is a setting feature on smart TV?
I have set the quality on our smart tv to the lowest, standard, and uses 800 Mb/hr.
Other TV's may have more settings.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
I worked out it was cheaper to use skygo and combine with extra data cost then buy a satellite dish system. However we only spend about 6 weeks away per year. Might be a different calculation for full timers. You would have to get data in the country you were in I guess for long term streaming.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
The Avtex tv is not a true smart tv as you cannot get all apps on it.
My LG smart tv will not get all apps, other makes use Android software and more apps are available.
I cannot use a VPN direct on the TV or cast TV programmes to it, I believe Android TV's have chromecast installed which would make life easier for watching live ITV.

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Just bought a Firestick. Away at the moment and plan to try out.
I get 45MB/month with O2 when tethering to my mobile. So will interesting to see how it copes.
Shame they don’t have a Sky app. Don’t know if Now TV would recognise my account details.
Thanks to some rather inclement weather will be trying it out later!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Quite true but its smart enough for me (y)
All newish SMART TV's are way toooooooooo smart for me!:whistle2::RollEyes:
Just bought a Firestick. Away at the moment and plan to try out.
I get 45MB/month with O2 when tethering to my mobile. So will interesting to see how it copes.
Shame they don’t have a Sky app. Don’t know if Now TV would recognise my account details.
Thanks to some rather inclement weather will be trying it out later!
Is there not a SkyGo app? Not been with them for a few years but sure I had something like this as part of the package.

Feb 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
La Strada
Exp
Just cracked this one on Gloria, we've got a 19" Alphatronics TV with a Miracast app that allows casting directly from fancy phone. Either downloaded content or live. Things like Prime and Netflix etc.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Just cracked this one on Gloria, we've got a 19" Alphatronics TV with a Miracast app that allows casting directly from fancy phone. Either downloaded content or live. Things like Prime and Netflix etc.
Not sure it allows casting outside of the UK ;)

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
If you can ditch the dish I would. Biggest waste of money I ever spent on our previous van. Doesn’t work under trees, in strong winds and if it’s raining hard. All of which we get most of the time in the UK. Cost me £3k for an Oyster V which blew fuses regularly and generally misbehaved on most trips. In the end it got to the point where we didn’t bother with it. I would definitely stream if you can.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
If you can ditch the dish I would. Biggest waste of money I ever spent on our previous van. Doesn’t work under trees, in strong winds and if it’s raining hard. All of which we get most of the time in the UK. Cost me £3k for an Oyster V which blew fuses regularly and generally misbehaved on most trips. In the end it got to the point where we didn’t bother with it. I would definitely stream if you can.
Our Oyster V has been really reliable (touching wood) and very good in the UK and northern parts of Europe. We do however also use a mifi unit and have a monthly contract with O2 for £2 for only 2gbbut I up for a month we are away to 150gb
For £25. Mainly to allow us to watch F1and golf via Nowtvwith an Amazon firestick 4K version.Having both options works really well for us.
Presumably you have tried Oyster direct with your issues -they are very responsive. Try not to park under trees as the sap is a bugger to remove.

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Yes Oyster tech (Anthony)we’re very good when we needed their help. It’s fine now as it went with the van when we sold it so no more issues. Always tried to avoid the trees but sometime it’s not possible and you can’t control the rain and wind. We’re in a California now so don’t bother much with tv at all. If we do want it we stream.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We watch more dvds than Tv and only really in the winter so as my dish has just failed Ive bought another firestick and going down that route. We both have Sky packages where the unused data accrues so we re going to try using that on the next trip and see how it goes, my plan if we go over 2 months is just to switch phones.

On a separate note I'm considering modifying the old dish to carry a solar panel so I can manually elevate it and point it towards the South East in the winter.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
btw Oyster in our previous mh was an absolute pain, whenever we went to watch it always needed updating first.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have an Oyster V and have used it all the way along Spanish coast from Portugal to Cabo de Gata using a sky box.
it has been very reliable😊👍

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
We have an Oyster V and have used it all the way along Spanish coast from Portugal to Cabo de Gata using a sky box.
it has been very reliable😊👍
Likewise I get many english speaking channels when in Spain using my SKY box
Including Sky Movies , SKY Sports , Eurosport , News , and more
No BBC or ITV but that’s no hardship

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020
Huntingdon ish.... the rundown backwater
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
I use fire stick tethering to phone or pad. But at the moment still carry a portable satellite dish for those places where there is little or no signal and there are many.
Also, Internet TV it is only cheaper than satellite if you buy a roof mounted self search dish.
A simple sat dish on its own is extremely flexible and by far the cheapest option. But I will agree its not everyone's cup of tea.
Aye....we've omnidirectional aerial.... Firestick & Satellite.... we'll be using Satellite at Clumber Park tomorrow...phone signal sh*t or non existent...TV the same... Up here at Barnard castle ( ok you can crack some jokes) Satellite is on the go... although we did use Firestick for Netflix last night

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Aye....we've omnidirectional aerial.... Firestick & Satellite.... we'll be using Satellite at Clumber Park tomorrow...phone signal sh*t or non existent...TV the same... Up here at Barnard castle ( ok you can crack some jokes) Satellite is on the go... although we did use Firestick for Netflix last night
Terrestrial is good up at B.C
We were there last week at the C&MC site just outside the town and the TV reception through the vision plus Ariel was faultless
Normally use the satellite but didn’t need to

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
I understand very little about getting tv through the internet, I know that I can watch things through BBC app on my iPad. However the MH that we have just paid a deposit on was pre ordered by the dealer and when it arrives it is fitted with Wi-Fi 5G by Ready Plex, it says that it is all singing all dancing, not in those words. Will it be any good once I have been taught how to use it.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I understand very little about getting tv through the internet, I know that I can watch things through BBC app on my iPad. However the MH that we have just paid a deposit on was pre ordered by the dealer and when it arrives it is fitted with Wi-Fi 5G by Ready Plex, it says that it is all singing all dancing, not in those words. Will it be any good once I have been taught how to use it.
You will probably still need a mobile data package for the phone signal. So will be an ongoing cost depending on the sim you choose.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back